U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 01:17 PM

6,966 posts, read 5,403,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheRipper View Post
The thing is around 60% of those Cubans coming through Mexico come here to ''invent'' and continue their shady jobs like they did in Cuba.

Let's take a look at the medicare fraud in Florida, guess by who? Cubans.
They are coming because they know the special privileges extended to Cubans (auto green card, fast track to citizenship, access to federal financial assistance and more) is on its last legs and they want to cash in before it happens. They will all end up here in Miami; many will return to Cuba and live very well, thanks to the largesse of the US.

http://www.npr.org/sections/parallel...es-will-change
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 02:06 PM

2,223 posts, read 921,253 times
They should end this loophole now, before they get to Texas. I've always admired Cubans, but they should be treated like all other immigrants - especially now since we've normalized relations with them.

If you want to immigrate to the U.S, great, go through the normal legal process.

Old 12-30-2015, 02:28 PM

15,839 posts, read 9,997,106 times
Stranded Cuban migrants to be allowed passage to the US - BBC News

The current crisis began in November when Nicaragua, a close ally of Cuba, denied access to thousands of migrants arriving from Costa Rica. The Cuban government says an estimated 7,000 migrants have been living on the Costa Rican side of the border since 14 November.

Many of the migrants flew from Cuba to Ecuador, which did not require Cubans to have visas. Ecuador has since changed its visa policy for Cubans.
From Ecuador, the Cuban migrants travelled north through Colombia, Panama and Costa Rica until they were stopped by Nicaragua.

Old 12-30-2015, 02:43 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,143,841 times
Good lord, the number of Cubans stuck in Costa Rica just keeps a-climbin'. First it was 2,500, then 6,000, now it's at 7-8,000?
And they're all gonna end up in Miami, no doubt. As if Miami needs any more Cubans bringing along all the bad habits they picked up in Cuba.

Old 12-30-2015, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Stranded Cuban migrants to be allowed passage to the US - BBC News

The current crisis began in November when Nicaragua, a close ally of Cuba, denied access to thousands of migrants arriving from Costa Rica. The Cuban government says an estimated 7,000 migrants have been living on the Costa Rican side of the border since 14 November.

Many of the migrants flew from Cuba to Ecuador, which did not require Cubans to have visas. Ecuador has since changed its visa policy for Cubans.
From Ecuador, the Cuban migrants travelled north through Colombia, Panama and Costa Rica until they were stopped by Nicaragua.
For those of us who have lived in Miami for the past 60 years there is no "current" crisis, but rather an ongoing one that started in 1959...

Old 12-30-2015, 04:11 PM

2,223 posts, read 921,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
For those of us who have lived in Miami for the past 60 years there is no "current" crisis, but rather an ongoing one that started in 1959...
Wow. Input from old folks is always valuable. This is one of the things that's great about the city-data community.

You should remember the days when there was no such thing as a "hispanic".

Old 12-30-2015, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
Wow. Input from old folks is always valuable. This is one of the things that's great about the city-data community.

You should remember the days when there was no such thing as a "hispanic".
Lol - no one I know would dare to refer to me as an "old folk." But, it is what it is - I am 70 and demographically, that makes me a "senior citizen." I've lived in South Florida since 1951, with the exception of my college years.

When I was in junior high, I was friends with a Cuban boy whose father was fighting with Castro. The family lived in my neighborhood and I remember going to his house and seeing pro revolution pamphlets in the house. My high school was so over crowded that we were on 3 shifts and my graduating class had over 1000 students in it. In the early 60s, so many Cuban men flooded Miami that my father could not find construction work and had to leave home for months at a time in order to work in the NE - my parents almost lost our home. When I stared teaching in Miami, I had to figure out ways to teach refugee children who spoke no English at all - there was ESOL back in the late 60s/early 70s.

In 1981, when things had kind of settled down in Miami, it started up all over again when 130,000 Cubans fled to Miami over the course of a just few months. Keep in mind that along with the Cubans, who were given an open door to the US via Miami, there were the non-privileged refugees from Nicaragua, El Salvador, Guatemala, Columbia, Venezuela and every other Central/South American country (or so it seemed).

During all of the past 60 years all of Miami's public services (schools, medical facilities, police/fire services, etc) have been continuously overtaxed. The federal government allowed all of these people to enter this country, but the citizens of Miami had to foot the bill for providing for them via our property taxes. "Crisis" is a permanent state down here.

Old 12-30-2015, 08:23 PM

31,755 posts, read 36,423,371 times
$100 and a free bus ticket north or far west seems to be a great program Texas should continue.

Old 12-30-2015, 08:33 PM

19,642 posts, read 14,610,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I don't understand why any Americans choose to hyphenate themselves in the first place and why do you think we need th divided loyalties?
I was being sarcastic. The categories that have been created and supported the US government are proving to be divisive.

Old 12-31-2015, 08:58 AM

20,062 posts, read 12,036,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCrossroads View Post
Good lord, the number of Cubans stuck in Costa Rica just keeps a-climbin'. First it was 2,500, then 6,000, now it's at 7-8,000?
And they're all gonna end up in Miami, no doubt. As if Miami needs any more Cubans bringing along all the bad habits they picked up in Cuba.

Cubans help bring Miami into a first class city envied by many but now Cubans may not even the largest Hispanic population there. In either case- from there and been to many others large cities- take Miami any day - anyone for a cortadito (_)>

Last edited by tinytrump; 12-31-2015 at 09:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies