U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-31-2015, 09:54 AM
 
36,128 posts, read 16,146,324 times
Reputation: 9711

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
They should end this loophole now, before they get to Texas. I've always admired Cubans, but they should be treated like all other immigrants - especially now since we've normalized relations with them.

If you want to immigrate to the U.S, great, go through the normal legal process.

And it would be nice if after all these years that the Cubans start assimilating. From what I understand you can't even get a job in Miami unless you speak Spanish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-31-2015, 11:56 AM
 
2,541 posts, read 2,139,389 times
Reputation: 3822
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Cubans help bring Miami into a first class city envied by many but now Cubans may not even the largest Hispanic population there. In either case- from there and been to many others large cities- take Miami any day - anyone for a cortadito (_)>
In what way did they bring Miami into a first class city? They just live there. The whole nonsense that "Cubans made Miami" is pure and utter BS. The only people gullible enough to believe that are white people who are not the least bit familiar with the arrogant Cuban nature. I've lived in Miami since 1979, I can tell you what Cubans are really like. It was actually Colombian drug money that made Miami.

Cubans are far and away the largest Hispanic population in Miami, a population which continues to climb with each passing year. All of Miami's other Hispanics combined don't add up to the number of Cubans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2015, 01:15 PM
 
6,965 posts, read 5,397,737 times
Reputation: 2768
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCrossroads View Post
In what way did they bring Miami into a first class city? They just live there. The whole nonsense that "Cubans made Miami" is pure and utter BS. The only people gullible enough to believe that are white people who are not the least bit familiar with the arrogant Cuban nature. I've lived in Miami since 1979, I can tell you what Cubans are really like. It was actually Colombian drug money that made Miami.

Cubans are far and away the largest Hispanic population in Miami, a population which continues to climb with each passing year. All of Miami's other Hispanics combined don't add up to the number of Cubans.
You said it before I could. Miami was a thriving city before Cubans came and would have continued to thrive without them. "Arrogant" is a good descriptor - I'd also add "entitled." They are almost universally disliked by Hispanics from other countries, which is why I laugh at the GOP for thinking that Rubio or Cruz is going to appeal to Hispanic voters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2015, 01:22 PM
 
741 posts, read 602,697 times
Reputation: 699
I can't help it. I just have to say I've had some excellent cuban food in Houston better than Miami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2015, 04:43 PM
 
20,390 posts, read 13,488,712 times
Reputation: 14075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
They should end this loophole now, before they get to Texas. I've always admired Cubans, but they should be treated like all other immigrants - especially now since we've normalized relations with them.

If you want to immigrate to the U.S, great, go through the normal legal process.

Cuban Readjustment Act isn't a "loophole" but a law; badly designed and conceived like much of the policies put into effect against that country such as the Embargo. Both are still in place because neither party has the balls to repeal.


Republican party has long counted on the historically conservative Cuban voting block to deliver south Florida which when coupled with the Panhandle north gives them that state.


Democrats won't repeal out of "humanitarian" grounds in that it would supposedly send Cubans back to a horrible place. That and of course they also look at voting patterns and don't want to tick off the Cuban-American population.


Congress actually took away the POTUS's powers in terms of regulating asylum/immigration from Cuba with the last stab at this dog of a policy. That resulted in the Wet Foot/Dry Foot system we have now and again no one seems in any hurry to change things.


The only way to end the Cuban Adjustment Act without having hordes of that population at our borders would be for such bill to be passed into law and enacted very quickly. If it is debated and so forth for long periods it will just cause more like these 8K to "go for it" and head for the USA before whatever is proposed becomes law.


Since Congress cannot and does not do immigration "quickly" do not look for the waves of Cubans "migrating" to the USA ceasing anytime soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2016, 08:58 AM
 
20,390 posts, read 13,488,712 times
Reputation: 14075
Floodgates have been opened...


Nearly forty-five *thousand* Cubans arrived on US shores without permission in the year ending last September. That is up from over twenty-five thousand in the prior year. Yet you don't hear a peep about his from anyone; no they keep going on about Mexicans, South Americans and other Latino/Hispanic groups. Oh and yes the latest target Syrians/Muslims.


At least the other illegals are not nearly a drain on the public purse as Cubans. That group arrives here from day ONE and receives not only preferential treatment but vast economic and social support all paid by US tax dollars.


The eight thousand Cubans making their way via Central/South America are not the last but surely thousands more are following. They are deciding to make that move out of fear the thaw in Cuban-USA relations will end or restrict the Cuban Readjustment Act and or other provisions that allow them to arrive and get to the head of the line.


Cuban adjustment: Newly arrived migrants talk of hope, hardship, and why they're coming to America - Sun Sentinel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2016, 10:05 AM
 
Location: US
3,092 posts, read 3,439,693 times
Reputation: 1639
We refer business to an AC guy who is from Cuba--great guy, does a good job for our customers. He gets a monthly payment of over $1,000 from what he calls a Cuban immigrant law to help them re-establish when they arrived here in the US. He came when he was a child. He is very successful with his AC business, has a home in Cuba, at least one home here in Florida, has a Corvette, and still gets this monthly payment. Cuban Americans pretty much voted Democrat here in my state in 2008 and 2012.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Cuban Readjustment Act isn't a "loophole" but a law; badly designed and conceived like much of the policies put into effect against that country such as the Embargo. Both are still in place because neither party has the balls to repeal.


Republican party has long counted on the historically conservative Cuban voting block to deliver south Florida which when coupled with the Panhandle north gives them that state.


Democrats won't repeal out of "humanitarian" grounds in that it would supposedly send Cubans back to a horrible place. That and of course they also look at voting patterns and don't want to tick off the Cuban-American population.


Congress actually took away the POTUS's powers in terms of regulating asylum/immigration from Cuba with the last stab at this dog of a policy. That resulted in the Wet Foot/Dry Foot system we have now and again no one seems in any hurry to change things.


The only way to end the Cuban Adjustment Act without having hordes of that population at our borders would be for such bill to be passed into law and enacted very quickly. If it is debated and so forth for long periods it will just cause more like these 8K to "go for it" and head for the USA before whatever is proposed becomes law.


Since Congress cannot and does not do immigration "quickly" do not look for the waves of Cubans "migrating" to the USA ceasing anytime soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2016, 10:27 AM
 
20,390 posts, read 13,488,712 times
Reputation: 14075
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
We refer business to an AC guy who is from Cuba--great guy, does a good job for our customers. He gets a monthly payment of over $1,000 from what he calls a Cuban immigrant law to help them re-establish when they arrived here in the US. He came when he was a child. He is very successful with his AC business, has a home in Cuba, at least one home here in Florida, has a Corvette, and still gets this monthly payment. Cuban Americans pretty much voted Democrat here in my state in 2008 and 2012.


Don't know about the $1K per month, but Cubans can tap into a vast sea of welfare, disability, Medicaid, Medicare and other benefits upon arrival: More Cubans immigrating in old age - Sun Sentinel




"A couple with a toddler in south Miami-Dade County, with a combined annual income of $125,000, brought over the husband’s 67-year-old father, who then collected food stamps and $8,400 a year in SSI."

"A Miami Lakes woman and her husband took in her aging parents, who qualified for $7,200 a year in SSI. The family’s household income: $144,200."

Here is the law which makes all this largesse possible: http://www.miamiherald.com/opinion/editorials/article43707954.html

Last edited by BugsyPal; 01-01-2016 at 10:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2016, 10:44 AM
 
34,214 posts, read 41,172,845 times
Reputation: 29664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
He's cool with it. He is Cuban himself, and he knows Cubans vote Republican.
While his Dad is a Cuban with some communist leanings i thought Ted was born in Canada and is therefore Canadian.
That said is he against all these Cubans coming to Texas where he apparently is a senator from Texas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2016, 05:51 PM
 
36,128 posts, read 16,146,324 times
Reputation: 9711
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Floodgates have been opened...


Nearly forty-five *thousand* Cubans arrived on US shores without permission in the year ending last September. That is up from over twenty-five thousand in the prior year. Yet you don't hear a peep about his from anyone; no they keep going on about Mexicans, South Americans and other Latino/Hispanic groups. Oh and yes the latest target Syrians/Muslims.


At least the other illegals are not nearly a drain on the public purse as Cubans. That group arrives here from day ONE and receives not only preferential treatment but vast economic and social support all paid by US tax dollars.


The eight thousand Cubans making their way via Central/South America are not the last but surely thousands more are following. They are deciding to make that move out of fear the thaw in Cuban-USA relations will end or restrict the Cuban Readjustment Act and or other provisions that allow them to arrive and get to the head of the line.


Cuban adjustment: Newly arrived migrants talk of hope, hardship, and why they're coming to America - Sun Sentinel
Sorry, but all illegal aliens are a drain on our taxes and our society in general regardless of who they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top