Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2008, 08:34 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,558,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
So when reporters are killed by soldiers, that is the military preserving freedom of the press?
In the US, the answer is most likely yes. The reporter was probably embedded in a military unit and was probably killed by an enemy "soldier."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 09:49 AM

110 posts, read 292,232 times
Thumbs up Uninformed views

The only thing wrong with Muhnay's post of 2-11@ 11.38 pm was that it didn't contain the word, ...'American'... in front of, "soldier ..." in the five points he makes. Our forces raise their right hands and pledge to protect and defend the U.S. Constitution against all enemys, foreign and domestic. While some of our military people are not what other Americans would consider model citizens, they are there wearing the uniform and putting their hides on the line at time protecting our constitution. I have no idea what the Russian, Chinese, French, Mexican, Argentinian soldier (whatever the nationality) pledges to do, but I know what our troops are supposed to do and we ARE the good guys here folks (although flawed like all humans). Jdiddy's remarks and those posts from similar-minded people reflect a lack of knowledge and/or understanding about what the real world is all about. I certainly claim to be no expert and on this issue but I have walked a few miles in our current troops' (no longer spit-shined boots). I do know this though, until our friends like Jdiddy have done the same, their opinions remain just that ... opinions ... uninformed and uneducated remarks. Lou

Last edited by Loujr; 02-12-2008 at 09:57 AM.. Reason: forgot word

Old 02-12-2008, 09:58 AM

74 posts, read 190,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
military is for defense
are we attacking or defending?
Yes, the Military is for defense, and it has been proven, time and time again, that the best defense is a good offense. Also known as preemptive strikes. Or maybe you would like us to wait until someone comes over and starts bombing us before we decide to gear up and kick their butts.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
----a strong military never stopped the GErmans from invading another country---

A --strong military-- could easily have stopped Germany early on.

Germany's neighbor (France) had the #1 military in the world at that time and did nothing (surprising even Hitler)

France believed---"leave Germany alone,they will leave us alone"

Didn't work out that way !

Ha, the French military! What a joke. These are the same guys who tried to surrender to a couple of tourists a EuroDisney when the fireworks started going off!

Old 02-13-2008, 09:42 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,568,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankidan View Post
Yes, the Military is for defense, and it has been proven, time and time again, that the best defense is a good offense. Also known as preemptive strikes. Or maybe you would like us to wait until someone comes over and starts bombing us before we decide to gear up and kick their butts.
That's like going over to someone else's house and starting a fight with them on THEIR property. That's not cool. You should wait for them to come over to your yard, which they might NEVER do.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:52 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,558,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
That's like going over to someone else's house and starting a fight with them on THEIR property. That's not cool. You should wait for them to come over to your yard, which they might NEVER do.
If the person is in their yard loading a gun to shoot at me in my yard, I would rather get there and get the gun before they have a chance to shoot.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I might not go over and start a fight with them, but you can be dang sure that I'll have a close eye on them. And if it looks like I should go over and knock them around a little bit, I will.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:16 AM

5,408 posts, read 7,781,960 times
Yes we need a military.

But even more we need smart leaders who understand its purpose and how/when it should be utilized.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:41 AM

1,845 posts, read 4,223,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Yes we need a military.

But even more we need smart leaders who understand its purpose and how/when it should be utilized.
Bily

I'll buy that! The trick is who defines "smart", "understands", "purpose","should" and "utilize"?

Old 02-13-2008, 10:51 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,568,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankidan View Post
I might not go over and start a fight with them, but you can be dang sure that I'll have a close eye on them. And if it looks like I should go over and knock them around a little bit, I will.
That's not ethical. You can't just assume everyone is out to get you (well, they are, but that's another matter) and REACT under that assumption. I'm prepared to be attacked, but I'm not going to initiate an attack against someone simply because they MAY harm me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies