U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 12:27 PM

29,824 posts, read 16,522,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
I've been turned off by Bill Cosby from way back when I heard him joke about giving "Spanish Fly" to girls to get sex. It was on one of his comedy records and you can hear him for yourself on the bottom link. It was a common reference for him early on in his career. I have no doubt that he used it and other drugs to get sex from non-consenting women. Maybe not all 60 of them but enough.

Cosby's history of 'Spanish Fly' jokes comes back to haunt him | MSNBC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAorIG6MZnc
Ugh. They just played that interview with Larry King where he was talking about "Spanish Fly". Cosby is and was one creepy guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2016, 12:35 PM

11,952 posts, read 5,679,036 times
If Cosby is acquitted - there will be WM Protests (Women Matter) all across the Nation.
Hillary Clinton will be the Fearless Leader of these War On Women 'peaceful' Protests.

Old 01-10-2016, 12:45 PM

12,328 posts, read 7,473,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
If Cosby is acquitted - there will be WM Protests (Women Matter) all across the Nation.
Hillary Clinton will be the Fearless Leader of these War On Women 'peaceful' Protests.
Which serves to underscore the point that the real controversy here isn't about the indiscretions of a handful of people -- it's about sexual, and cultural politics.

I can think of two immediate parallels here; the Clinton/Lewinsky scandal of 1998-9 and the Sandusky child abuse sandal at Penn State in 2011-12. In all three cases, the original accusations were seized upon and magnified, with considerable help either from "grittier" segments of the media, or because the intended targets held controversial positions -- or had powerful enemies, and two of the three had generally-positive reputations which their ideologically-driven foes were eager to damage.

Barring a major revelation of misconduct among the accusers, I don't think Cosby's reputation can be "salvaged" -- he made some ugly mistakes, and unlike the figures beyond Sandusky in the Penn State case, his actions involved more than simple failure to comply with changed standards, or in Clinton's case, conduct at a time of changing concepts of public morality. But the point remains that Cosby had powerful enemies, and those enemies knew how to push for a rush to judgment under a set of standards completely different from those applied among themselves.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 01-10-2016 at 01:09 PM..

Old 01-10-2016, 12:47 PM

3,829 posts, read 2,785,218 times
I don't care how many years ago this happened. If he did it, he should die in prison.

Old 01-10-2016, 12:48 PM

9,857 posts, read 7,014,811 times
His history has been following him for decades.
His son getting murdered bought him a second bite at a career until more came out.
If he gets OJ jury nullification I think it next finishes in civil court. What else could happen. I doubt he can raise his offending member anymore.

Old 01-10-2016, 12:51 PM

35,236 posts, read 10,410,882 times
This is just one case that was able to be prosecuted. If he's acquitted, it won't change a thing about his "legacy," which will be that of a predator. His "career" will be merely a footnote.

Hollyweird is littered with his ilk--those who had the money and celebrity to "walk." Cosby was a perv, O.J. massacred two people, and Robert Blake killed his wife.

Some realities never change.

Old 01-10-2016, 12:52 PM

14,210 posts, read 10,082,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
His history has been following him for decades.
His son getting murdered bought him a second bite at a career until more came out.
If he gets OJ jury nullification I think it next finishes in civil court. What else could happen. I doubt he can raise his offending member anymore.
Yes, apparently there have been rumors since the 60's about him drugging women. Makes me wonder if the studio paid off women over the years to bury it. I mean could you imagine during the height of I Spy the premier black entertainer in America was convicted of raping women? I would imagine that would of set back a lot of progress right there.

Old 01-10-2016, 12:53 PM

12,358 posts, read 7,731,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Ugh. They just played that interview with Larry King where he was talking about "Spanish Fly". Cosby is and was one creepy guy.
Yup. His past if finally catching up to him.

Cosby's history of 'Spanish Fly' jokes comes back to haunt him | MSNBC

Old 01-10-2016, 12:56 PM

22,413 posts, read 11,547,569 times
A jury can only find someone not guilty, not innocent.

There probably is reasonable doubt here. That does not make him innocent of this or dozens of other crimes.

Last edited by whogo; 01-10-2016 at 01:16 PM..

Old 01-10-2016, 01:02 PM

2,252 posts, read 928,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
A jury can only find someone not guilty, not innocent.
And people are innocent until they are proven guilty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or