U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-03-2016, 05:08 PM
 
Location: USA
188 posts, read 81,608 times
Reputation: 66

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
You seem to consider yourself the expert in the Red Herring category. Why? Because you constantly use them?
No, because I constantly see *******s using them, but thanks for asking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-04-2016, 09:43 AM
 
Location: MS
4,280 posts, read 4,068,253 times
Reputation: 1486
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Congress has, but the American people have said the opposite. If we can get Rs out of office.. there are fewer Ds owned by the NRA and common sense will show up in Congress.
When you say "owned" you make it sound like the NRA has bought and paid for them. https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/rec...?id=D000000082 As you can see, the NRA contributed no more than $9,900 to a single campaign.

Let's take Sen Tom Cotton's 2014 campaign. https://www.opensecrets.org/politici...?cid=N00033363 He spent $14,491,199 on getting elected to the Senate. So the NRA bought his vote by contributing not 100%, not 50% but 0.069%. I didn't know you could buy a politician for under a tenth of a percent of a single campaign.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2016, 10:21 AM
 
Location: Texas
35,115 posts, read 19,203,402 times
Reputation: 20720
Default Obama to issue executive action on background checks

I always pass background checks.

No sweat.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2016, 10:28 AM
 
4,817 posts, read 3,467,611 times
Reputation: 2857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
When you say "owned" you make it sound like the NRA has bought and paid for them. https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/rec...?id=D000000082 As you can see, the NRA contributed no more than $9,900 to a single campaign.

Let's take Sen Tom Cotton's 2014 campaign. https://www.opensecrets.org/politici...?cid=N00033363 He spent $14,491,199 on getting elected to the Senate. So the NRA bought his vote by contributing not 100%, not 50% but 0.069%. I didn't know you could buy a politician for under a tenth of a percent of a single campaign.
That doesnt count money contributed by NRA sponsored Super PACS, also another tool is the NRA report card which a failing grade apparently can be a death sentence in many elections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2016, 10:35 AM
 
9,857 posts, read 7,012,573 times
Reputation: 3284
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Which I find strange, because what kind of legacy are you going to leave when you take action that goes directly against the will of both Congress, and the American people.
Isn't it ironic that a guy that has blocked his own past in courts and schools supposedly wants more background checking (as long as it is not him).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2016, 11:13 AM
 
Location: Portland, OR
8,803 posts, read 7,564,772 times
Reputation: 4501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
People on both sides of the debate need to be careful about this happening.

If things follow according to precedent, gun rights might wind up in a golden age. Heller states reasonable restrictions, and people have been banging that drum. However McDonald incorporated the 2nd under the 14th's due process, making gun ownership a fundamental right. This would mean that gun laws are reviewed under strict scrutiny (as all rights protected by the 14ths due process are), how many gun laws does anyone think would survive such scrutiny.

The alternative is that the court doesn't apply strict scrutiny, which is a dangerous precedent in itself, because it opens the way for all fundamental rights to be reviewed under less stringent review.

I think this is perhaps why the SCOTUS has avoided taking any more 2nd Amendment cases, most recently Jackson v. San Francisco, since the McDonald ruling, because they're very aware that taking any cases will result in one outcome or the other, and it's possible that the SCOTUS is avoidant to allow the lawmakers to come to terms with it. Of course if they don't come to terms with it within a reasonable period the SCOTUS will have to accept some case, and then the fallout will either be of huge benefit to gun rights, or detrimental to all rights.
We now live in a society where we only value the rights we agree with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2016, 11:15 AM
 
Location: USA
188 posts, read 81,608 times
Reputation: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
I always pass background checks.

No sweat.

Not when they are Politically-administered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2016, 11:17 AM
 
16,703 posts, read 8,536,456 times
Reputation: 9554
homoland security drops ball on cali terrorists... O's sons killing eachother in the hood... Executive action aimed at rednecks across the country. Gotta love government efficiency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2016, 12:48 PM
 
Location: MS
4,280 posts, read 4,068,253 times
Reputation: 1486
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
That doesnt count money contributed by NRA sponsored Super PACS,
Which superpacs would that be? Here's Cotton's top 20 doners which reach down into the $20k amounts.
https://www.opensecrets.org/politici...ype=I&newmem=N

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
another tool is the NRA report card which a failing grade apparently can be a death sentence in many elections.
That's not bought and paid for. That's just reporting on votes which should be 100% public. I'm a fan of Justin Amash because he not only posts his votes on Facebook immediately after he is done, he also posts a reason why he voted this or that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2016, 01:00 PM
 
Location: The Republic of Texas
66,250 posts, read 33,633,272 times
Reputation: 14169
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
Gun, gas stove. Ya, totally comparable.

My 10 year old could tell you more about how the American government works and the world than most kids her age because when she asks a question I give her an honest answer. She was also raised around guns but we made sure she knows the difference between a weapon and a toy. Toys can go in a bedroom. Storing a firearm in a child's bedroom is irresponsible. Even if your kid knows about firearms not all their friends do.


How is a gun anymore, or less dangerous, than the bomb that sits in your kitchen....


Education, that's how. Gun safes lock them up. What about gas stove safes? lock them up.


Some how the kid at an early age understands that the stove is a tool, that can be really dangerous.
I put that same mindset with my own daughter at a very early age, that the stove and the gun were good tools, if you know how to work them safely.

My daughter was cooking on the stove at 5-6 yo, along with shooting better than dad too....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:41 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top