U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support more restrictions on firearms?
Yes 64 52.89%
No 57 47.11%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 01:18 PM

2,389 posts, read 1,693,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
It is supposed to start being more plentiful. I hope it is. We use it for target shooting.
somehow I don't think the price will ever go back down to what it was before the Obama boom years.

bill

Old 01-03-2016, 01:31 PM

2,389 posts, read 1,693,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Another extremely weak argument.

Cars today are built with seat belts and air bags as standard, does that mean that no else gets killed in a crash? Of course not. Yet no one is going to argue that they have gone a long way towards improving public safety.

You seem to think that any gun laws enacted need to be able to provide 100% assurance that no murders or anything will ever happen again. That's a foolish argument.

Just like with cars and government mandated safety equipment, cars have gradually become safer and safer. It is the same with our gun laws. By tweaking what we have, by adding where there are loopholes, we gradually reduce gun crime.
Nice deflection, But what does car design have to do with the question you are obviously unable to answer?
What Common sense law would have prevented the terrorist attack in San Bernadino?

Straw purchases? already illegal
So called assault rifle ban? easily gone around by changing a few simple cosmetic parts.
Background checks? passed it.
No fly list? Unconstitutional.

waiting....

bill

Old 01-03-2016, 01:55 PM

12,782 posts, read 8,669,233 times
Bad guys will get guns. Look at countries like France with total gun control the terrorists had AK47s and other rifles and bombs.

Has Obama watched the news? Attacks in France made people realize that gun control made things worse.

Old 01-03-2016, 02:59 PM

9,293 posts, read 6,208,647 times

Alright, is obuma president, King or Emperor?

This is America. We have a Constitution. He cannot run roughshod over Congress and trample that Constitution!

This crap has to stop!

Old 01-03-2016, 03:26 PM

3,041 posts, read 1,817,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
I hear you about the .22 LR, I'm very thankful that I bought several thousand rounds before Obama's term, my son and I have been using that for plinking.

bill
Several thousand? So 4 boxes? Thats not much around here.

Old 01-03-2016, 04:01 PM

9,479 posts, read 4,551,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
Several thousand? So 4 boxes? Thats not much around here.
A couple weekends of target shooting.

Old 01-03-2016, 04:20 PM

33,991 posts, read 18,475,359 times
Quote:
Please tell us how expanded background checking laws will hurt you.
Since we don't know what they entail.....I don't know do you?

Quote:
Originally, the guy lied and said the guns were "stolen." It was only after the FBI started investigating him that it came to light that the guy had basically purchased those weapons to be used in an attack going back to 2012. So, his original excuse no longer held up because it was essentially a straw purchase. However, if the FBI had found nothing on this guy, then he would have gotten away with his part of this scot free, because there are no laws prohibiting him from selling or giving guns to anyone without a background check.
They were going to use them in 2012.....the he gave them away....he lied....period end of story.

Quote:
Really? Is this the best you can think of? Your continuing statements below poke some rather large holes in your reasoning, I'll get to that in a minute. As I said above, how are more laws designed to limit the amount of guns in the hands of people who are not allowed to have them hurting you?
Why, because you say so? LOL....Yea, lets go there....

Quote:
And here's where your entire argument (if you're actually being honest about what you say here) falls apart. So, when you sell a gun to someone, you aren't required by law to get a name, a DL, a background check done, or anything else. Seller gets the money, buyer gets a gun. Seems like a pretty easy way for a felon to get a gun, doesn't it???
Maybe you did not read, which does not surprise me...

Quote:
But you, in your wisdom and being a responsible gun owner, are saying that you don't sell your guns to anyone unless they have a CCP, meaning that person has already been background checked. If that's not a tacit agreement that our gun laws are severely lacking, I don't know what is.

No, it's being smart....are you not smart? You said you have been doing it for a long time.....

Quote:
Indeed, good for me. You know what bothers me? That word "most" in your post. If 90% of all gun owners are like you and I, and they refuse to sell their guns to people without either having a CCP or getting full name, address, and DL info and a bill of sale, that's fantastic. What about the OTHER 10% who don't give a damn and sell their guns to anyone with the cash in hand, hmm? That adds up to thousands of transactions where the buyers could be felons, terrorists, or any other case where they would not be allowed to purchase a gun through regular channels.
That's the 10% we are worried about.....about damn time you wake up.....just like those 14 killed in CA and why you refuse to answer on how that could have been stopped.....your post above does address anything except he lied....

Quote:
I guess what makes me special is that I don't have my head in the sand like you do. You say you don't want any expanded background checks, yet you are doing them yourself and not letting anyone without a CCP buy a gun from you. Gee, I wonder why?
No, not really....they are CURRENT back ground checks completed.....

Quote:
Could it be that the laws we have are not adequate?
O.K., lets say they are not.....Google biden 4473, and then get back with us...better yet....here:

Let me google that for you

Quote:
Don't confuse that last sentence as a question for you to answer; it is not. You've already answered it by doing your own "unofficial and unrequired" checks to ensure that your guns do not end up in the wrong hands.
Don't say I'm doing extended back ground check, I'm doing what I feel is needed...but I will not go any further.....so what I do, is current with the current laws....

Quote:
Personally, I'd rather we had laws that would force everyone to comply to your standards, rather than just hope people will.
Well, you have to get criminals to obey the law....hows that working for ya?

Old 01-03-2016, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Another extremely weak argument..
Cause you say? Your comments below have ZERO to do with what I asked....

Quote:
Cars today are built with seat belts and air bags as standard, does that mean that no else gets killed in a crash? Of course not. Yet no one is going to argue that they have gone a long way towards improving public safety..
Where did I say anything about cars? Of course I did not....go back and re-read....it's o.k. to be wrong...

Quote:
You seem to think that any gun laws enacted need to be able to provide 100% assurance that no murders or anything will ever happen again. That's a foolish argument..
Nobody ever said that, only lefties say that...again, your thinking is flawed....

Quote:
Just like with cars and government mandated safety equipment, cars have gradually become safer and safer. It is the same with our gun laws. By tweaking what we have, by adding where there are loopholes, we gradually reduce gun crime.
Gun crime has been going down for long time.....glad you have finally caught up.....

Old 01-03-2016, 04:25 PM

It must be bernie sanders answering......

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
Nice deflection, But what does car design have to do with the question you are obviously unable to answer?
What Common sense law would have prevented the terrorist attack in San Bernadino?

Straw purchases? already illegal
So called assault rifle ban? easily gone around by changing a few simple cosmetic parts.
Background checks? passed it.
No fly list? Unconstitutional.

waiting....

bill

Old 01-03-2016, 04:34 PM

1,973 posts, read 1,634,779 times
Whack Jobs have been selling guns as "private citizens" to Illegals and Criminals for so long we have become a gun violence society.. anyone with more than 4 teeth wants to see that stop.. BTW Obama has 2 masters degree's and a Phd in Constitutional law and you insist on what , with your knowledge base? As for all these dang illegals that Republicans have been hiring since Reagan Promoted firing Americans and f=hiring illegals and shipping jobs overseas for US tax credits.. Obama has deported more Illegals Than GW and GH Bush Combined and you blame Obama for what? TURN OFF FAUX NEWS!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
It's not the number but how he pushes his authority to write law without congress. The Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals Rules Against Obama's Executive Actions on Immigration - The.. Atlantic

Obama wants to stop private sales or transfers of firearms he can't do that with exec order he might try it. Won't hold up in court. Even if he was able to it will have zero impact on gun violence. They actually use the Straw purchase of the San Bernardo Terror attack as an example, but those guys arn't going to follow the law and have the rifle legally transfered before committing mass murder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies