Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support more restrictions on firearms?
Yes 64 52.89%
No 57 47.11%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 06:34 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Isn't this poll question misleading?

Obama is not placing restrictions on owning guns.

He's placing restrictions on individuals SELLING guns.
Gun rights advocates and gun groups don't let facts get in the way of a good story about infringed on rights. You and I both know that.

Old 01-05-2016, 07:24 AM

2,851 posts, read 2,302,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Gun rights advocates and gun groups don't let facts get in the way of a good story about infringed on rights. You and I both know that.
Just as the anti-gun lobby misrepresent the facts, ignore vital statistics, lie, and rely on the average supporter being completely and utterly clueless and lacking even the very basics understanding of firearms.

Old 01-05-2016, 07:59 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
" Do you support more restrictions on firearms?"

NO! I support the enforcement of EXISTING laws!
I support prosecution of those who make false statements on the Form 4473, instead of ignoring it.
If law enforcement can not or will not enforce the laws and regulations that are now on the books, said laws and regulations should be repealed, and there should be no new laws to replace them!

Old 01-05-2016, 08:05 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,994,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post

I support prosecution of those who make false statements on the Form 4473, instead of ignoring it.
If law enforcement can not or will not enforce the laws and regulations that are now on the books, said laws and regulations should be repealed, and there should be no new laws to replace them!
From what I understand, what Obama is trying to do is prevent gun sales without background checks. There are some states out there that require background checks, even on private sales. There are some states that do not require this. I do agree that existing laws need to be enforced better, but there are also holes in the laws that allow people to purchase guns legally without any sort of background check.

Are you ok with random people being able to buy a gun in a McDonalds parking lot or a gun show without a background check?

Old 01-05-2016, 08:40 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
From what I understand, what Obama is trying to do is prevent gun sales without background checks. There are some states out there that require background checks, even on private sales. There are some states that do not require this. I do agree that existing laws need to be enforced better, but there are also holes in the laws that allow people to purchase guns legally without any sort of background check.
And that ONLY applies to people that can purchase a firearm by passing a background check, there is no hole. If you are a felon you cannot legally purchase a gun, background check or no, if you do purchase a gun through a private sale it is in fact illegal.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:47 AM

7,824 posts, read 4,565,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post

If early reports of what the order will entail are correct, it calls for more funding of law enforment.
Next excuse????

Old 01-05-2016, 08:58 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,994,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
And that ONLY applies to people that can purchase a firearm by passing a background check, there is no hole. If you are a felon you cannot legally purchase a gun, background check or no, if you do purchase a gun through a private sale it is in fact illegal.
Everyone buying a gun should have to go through a background check. If you can buy a gun without a background check, then there is a hole in the law. This will hold sellers responsible for selling firearms because criminals will buy firearms at gun shows knowing it is easy to do so. A mass murderer could walk into a gun show, buy a arsenal of weapons and leave with no issues at all. The seller won't know (or care) because they are not breaking the law. If these individual sellers at a gun show are now forced to run background checks, this mass murderer would not be able to buy the guns to begin with. Filling the gap in the law will help curb this (won't eliminate it because I'm sure some sellers will still sell without the background check, but at least now they will also be breaking the law and can be held accountable).

Old 01-05-2016, 09:27 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
If early reports of what the order will entail are correct, it calls for more funding of law enforment.
Next excuse????
Where is this "funding" going to come from? Is obama going to pay for it out of his personal wealth?
According to the Constitution, ONLY congress can spend money. CONGRESS will have to fund this expansion of law enforcement. Congress will have to budget the money to increase the number of FBI personnel available to process background checks.
It remains to be seen if Congress will give obama the money he will need to do what he says he will do!
Congress just might say "NO!"
Actually, if the "early reports" are correct, the EO will accomplish little or nothing. Much of what it appears to say seems to be already covered by existing laws!
That, of course, means that it is basically an exercise in "Hey, look at me, look what I did!"
Or, quite possibly, "Hey, y'all, Hold my beer and WATCH THIS!!"

Old 01-05-2016, 09:29 AM

1,976 posts, read 2,353,168 times

Happy he is taking action. The Dems should have done so much more when they controlled Congress and the Presidency.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:40 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,414,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
Happy he is taking action. The Dems should have done so much more when they controlled Congress and the Presidency.
Indeed, thanks to Obama access to NFA firearms and items including machine guns, short barreled shotguns, short barreled rifles, and destructive devices will be greatly increased.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies