U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2016, 10:12 PM

14,253 posts, read 15,283,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
You hear someone crash though your back door at 3am and you have three bedrooms with children sleeping. You're just going to "choose your ground" without knowing the true intent or weaponry that they have?
You seem to know a lot about me, my family and my house. All of it wrong.

Old 01-01-2016, 10:46 PM

16,990 posts, read 20,591,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
I think its the exact opposite- someone who listens to phone calls of people being hurt/beat/potentially killed everyday, who is married to a cop, who believes that guns are needed for safety, who keeps a loaded one on/in the nightstand -- that sounds exactly like someone whose first response when she awakens from sleep and thinks an intruder is coming into her house is to grab her gun and shoot.
Huh? Someone who is a 911 dispatcher should be calm and taught to think. How about this is probably my adult daughter who lives in NC who is staying with her father and I here in FL for the holidays,who was out for the evening, but to be sure shout out to her?

Not just start shooting.

Old 01-01-2016, 11:02 PM

13,675 posts, read 13,485,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
So, you're saying that the mother shot her purposely.
Yes. She shot her purposely. She intended to kill whoever the person was that she saw but didn't bother to identify. She just regretted her actions afterwards because she didn't behave with appropriate caution. But her actions were very deliberate.

Old 01-01-2016, 11:03 PM

13,675 posts, read 13,485,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
You seem to know a lot about me, my family and my house. All of it wrong.
Maybe you should use smaller words.

Old 01-01-2016, 11:05 PM

2,368 posts, read 1,491,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
America's love affair with guns is the weirdest, most disturbing thing about that country.
Yes, it is - guns at all costs is kind of a societal pathology. It waver-fluctuates between American bluster - and American fear.

Old 01-01-2016, 11:13 PM

3,468 posts, read 1,674,852 times
To an earlier poster and people in general: Can people stop using the argument that if you take out the ghettos of the U.S that it would be safer than Europe? First of that is wrong in most western European countries and also ignores that if you take out the ghettos in western and eastern European countries the countries would be even safer...
A tangent, but also can you stop using violent crime statistics, when in certain countries if I told my brother, I was going to kill him (playfully), I could be charged with a violent crime while in the U.S that might not even be a crime.

Old 01-01-2016, 11:13 PM

1,660 posts, read 927,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernist1 View Post
Yes, it is - guns at all costs is kind of a societal pathology. It waver-fluctuates between American bluster - and American fear.

If it truly was at all cost then there would be no restrictions what so ever.

Old 01-02-2016, 12:34 AM

2,813 posts, read 1,521,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Nah, I'm a gun owner. But i'm not going to play Rambo and none of my stuff is worth taking another life for. I will shoot if my life is threatened and I will choose my ground as far as possible. Running around playing Rambo surrenders that advantage.

These threads are always full of people who talk big but who have clearly very little real firearm or home defense training.
This is such a reasonable stance. Wish there was more of this common sense to be found...

Stories like the OP put an ache in the pit of my stomach. I am terrified my mother is going to die this way.

My father (who is a bit of a "all hat and no cattle" idiot) sleeps with a loaded gun under his pillow or in his nightstand. He's scared to death of an intruder coming into their home, yet he fails to understand how much more likely he is to accidently shoot his wife in the middle of the night. In 60 years he has never been a victim of a home invasion. Plus he's on a ton of different medications (so who knows how that affects his ability to make rational decisions when suddenly awakened from deep sleep...)

After my 5 year old son wanted to show me where "Grandpa keeps his gun" (um, beside the sofa! ) I asked my parents to please lock all the guns away when the grandchildren come over--even at night. I would honestly rather face the odds that my children are shot by an unknown intruder than by their grandfather thinking they were an intruder!

Old 01-02-2016, 12:35 AM

9,608 posts, read 9,805,889 times
When you can sail an aircraft carrier the size of a small CITY supported by a few destroyers each with enough firepower to destroy a small CITY, anywhere in the world you choose... ... in 1942 could any enemy power on the planet do that? America remains free from invasion because of geography. Not because of 400 million guns in civilian gun safes and nightstand drawers.

I read a lot of sci-fi. The book I am reading now is about a 'First Contact' scenario between a far future earth and a sentient race that is far less technologically advanced. They are, however, telepathic. What they detect from the first of the humans that crash land a starship capable of reducing their entire planet to slag in a few seconds is FEAR.

I don't see that armed people are any less fearful than unarmed ones. The opposite in fact. Fearful people cling to weapons as a talisman to ward off evil, and those weapons end up being the agents of those very individuals destruction, or of their loved ones. The Framers did not have weak kneed cowards in mind when they crafted The Constitution.

Old 01-02-2016, 12:42 AM

9,608 posts, read 9,805,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
America didn't win WW2??!!! You must have learned world history in Japan or Russia.
The Allies won WWII. And Russia was one of them at the time. What we did to Japan would be declared a war crime if it happened today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies