Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2016, 08:34 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,434,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
We have two wireless surveillance cameras with audio outside our front door, everything that happens near our house is recorded to an SD card and we have a monitor in our kitchen & it beeps when anyone gets within line of sight of one of the monitors & we can view them on the monitor or talk to them from inside the house. It took an hour to install and cost us $200.

I'm not selling them, but I highly recommend that everyone get one- here is the system we got
Yeah, but that's not half as stylish as the $675.00 Colt .45 Defender forgotten and gathering dust under the driver's seat of the old Ford pick-up that the dealer finds after it's been traded in. True Story.

Old 01-02-2016, 08:37 AM

14,249 posts, read 17,887,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
On the other hand, someone got shot and killed across the street in an home invasion last month. It was suspected that the home was a place to score drugs and the attackers knew that. A few years ago, there was another home invasion at an apartment complex across the street (this street being the highway) with some drug dealers that came 50 miles or so because they had been denied payment in a deal.

The obvious answer is, "Don't do drugs" and if such people are around, well, one can always hope they will go to the "right" house in their pursuits.

I mean, people always go to the right house, especially in the dark, right?
I spent 4 months on a Grand Jury. We had a murder, an attempted murder and a drive by shooting and they were all drug dealer on drug dealer. Seeing the pattern of actual crime over that period made me realize just how safe for an ordinary law abiding person our county is. That does not mean that you don't take basic precautions like locking your doors but there really is no reason to be overly fearful.

Old 01-02-2016, 09:02 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,106,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
In those 60 years has he ever accidentally shot any one?
He's only recently (relative to his 60 yrs) began sleeping with a gun under his pillow. But, if he had slept with a loaded gun under his pillow as a two year old, yeah, sadly he probably would have accidently shot somebody

Old 01-02-2016, 09:16 AM

23,658 posts, read 13,860,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I spent 4 months on a Grand Jury. We had a murder, an attempted murder and a drive by shooting and they were all drug dealer on drug dealer. Seeing the pattern of actual crime over that period made me realize just how safe for an ordinary law abiding person our county is. That does not mean that you don't take basic precautions like locking your doors but there really is no reason to be overly fearful.
On the other hand, I remember my grandmother being assaulted in her house in the early 90's by someone who rushed in behind her after coming home from the store.

I refuse to be of the population that goes around believing "It will never happen to me", especially when I know "the mechanics" of what makes a person a victim, a target.

Now, that said, I do have a method of a layered defence.

Old 01-02-2016, 09:25 AM

42,783 posts, read 26,093,782 times
Quote:
On the other hand, I remember my grandmother being assaulted in her house in the early 90's by someone who rushed in behind her after coming home from the store.
I refuse to be of the population that goes around believing "It will never happen to me", especially when I know "the mechanics" of what makes a person a victim, a target.
Now, that said, I do have a method of a layered defence.
Unless you are a drug dealer or involved in some other illegal activity it is extraordinarily unlikely that you will ever be the victim of a home invasion robbery. Preparing for it and worrying about it is sort of like wearing a flotation device in your bathtub to avoid drowning

Old 01-02-2016, 10:01 AM

23,658 posts, read 13,860,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Unless you are a drug dealer or involved in some other illegal activity it is extraordinarily unlikely that you will ever be the victim of a home invasion robbery. Preparing for it and worrying about it is sort of like wearing a flotation device in your bathtub to avoid drowning
I think we rather have enough cases on the books to suggest the folly in that line of thinking. Further, if the Aussie figures are correct, then there seems to be a decent line of thought that if the crooks know one is unarmed, they are more likely to come 'aknocking.

Old 01-02-2016, 10:09 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,466,189 times
Quote:
I think we rather have enough cases on the books to suggest the folly in that line of thinking. Further, if the Aussie figures are correct, then there seems to be a decent line of thought that if the crooks know one is unarmed, they are more likely to come 'aknocking.
The number one thing you can do to scare away any would-be home invaders is have your home security sign displayed where it can be seen.

Oh, and a loudly barking dog doesn't hurt either.

Old 01-02-2016, 10:15 AM

5,461 posts, read 3,226,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Ah, the Ye Olde car vs gun argument.

But it is so true except every year car manufactures do their best to design every safer cars, traffic engineers work hard to make roadways safe and police increase their enforcement efforts. Now if only we could say the same about guns.

Gun makers are always looking to improve safety. Guns are safer now than they have ever been.

Old 01-02-2016, 10:21 AM

102,126 posts, read 107,402,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
They attacked an island....they didn't "invade". Try dictionary.com
They occupied two of the Aleutian islands, and it took the US a year to get them out. Try history.com.

Old 01-02-2016, 10:21 AM

42,783 posts, read 26,093,782 times
Quote:
I know nothing about Aussie figures, I am talking about the US. It is extremely rare and almost always occurs when the robber knows the victim, or has knowledge of what the victim keeps in their house. The likely victim is
  • a drug dealer or other person who engages in criminal activity
  • elderly/infirm and known to keep cash in the house
  • business owner who is known to bring large amounts of cash to their home.

It is almost never a 'random' event, it's too dangerous for the perpetrator to randomly force entry into a house and quite possibly be met by gunfire- that's why burglars usually 'case' your house, or knock at the door to make sure that you aren't home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.