Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 12:46 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,717,826 times

Advertisements

No woman should go to a catholic hospital! I am in the medical business and I personally have dealt with women, who transferred from a catholic hospital after being denied treatment, who were at deaths door!

Although I cannot disclose any details of my professional experiences, there are many out there.

Miscarrying Lady Almost Dies At Catholic Hospital, But At Least She Didn’t Get An Abortion
Read more at http://wonkette.com/590056/miscarryi...XCfky8lMJSj.99

Woman Dies After Catholic Hospital Denies Abortion

One of the Nation’s Largest Catholic Hospital Systems Says It Can Deny Women Emergency Care Because of Its Religious Affiliation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2016, 01:56 PM

31,676 posts, read 26,614,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Catholic health systems have been buying up smaller practices and hospitals all over the country. Then, if a doc wants admitting privileges to a catholic hospital, that doc may no longer offer the disputed services to anyone, anywhere, at any time. Besides reproductive services (either male or female), this includes physician-assisted suicide. In a growing number of areas, there are few non-catholic hospital options.

Sooner or later, this issue will make it to the USSC.

That is not universally true.

Here in NYC the once great Catholic hospital/healthcare system is gone. This includes famous Saint Vincent's Hospital in the West Village.

In *ALL* areas of the United States it is becoming survival of the fittest when it comes to hospitals. Sometimes it is a religious institution, others not.

Old 01-01-2016, 03:54 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,747,195 times
Notwithstanding the tubal ligation to-do, what a biased "news" source. The Catholic church "interferes in women's reproductive health choices" because it...wait for it... doesn't allow abortions at Catholic hospitals?

Thanks for the laugh.

Old 01-01-2016, 03:56 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,655,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
That is not universally true.

Here in NYC the once great Catholic hospital/healthcare system is gone. This includes famous Saint Vincent's Hospital in the West Village.
Interesting, here on the west coast they are major players.

Old 01-01-2016, 04:09 PM

31,676 posts, read 26,614,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Interesting, here on the west coast they are major players.

St. Vincent’s postmortem: Why Village hospital died

Old 01-01-2016, 05:40 PM

10,194 posts, read 6,259,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
Hells Bells...The women requesting a Tubal Ligation after C/Section of delivering her 4th baby is certainly Not out of the question..FIrst off ( as both experience as both Scrub and circulating nurse ) C/Sections already have the abdomen open..accessing baby threw horizontal incision near base of uterus..then after deliver, closure of that incision..then before Obstetricians closed peritoneum..move to both right and left of uterus and snip/clamp both tubes..voila done. Closure of muscle layer followed by peritoneum layer, then fascia, fatty layer then epidermis (skin)..

By refusing ..they are actually make this women undo a second surgery..WHY? Who does anyone think they are demanding this women to have yet another surgery ..and by refusing demanding she remain intact ..because of religious belief...The hospital doesn't care..It sounds like THE surgeon made this decision to refuse as he can't charge as much with having both ..more lucrative to have second surgery billing!!

I was trained in a Catholic hospital..and even did my post grad. specialty in Obstetrics/Labour and Delivery..and WE did what this women asked for often. This was back in the late '60's..and believe me they had some rather strict rules on what they would allow back then. SMH!!

Geesh..It's not like she was demanding an abortion

ETA~~~ Whoops..I stand corrected. It appears that her doctor has had 50 patients having the hospital refuse him to allow Tubal...Sorry Doc :-(
A Pregnant Woman Is Suing a Catholic Hospital for a Troubling Reason
snip ~
I lived in NY where the local non-sectarian hospital was bought out by a Catholic hospital. The local people fought this buy out for this exact reason, plus for rape victims not being given Morning After Pill options.

What happened? Women giving birth and wanting a tubal after were not delivering their babies at this hospital and going out of town. This hospital even had to shut down a major part of their Maternity Ward (low contracepting birthrates also), and had the nerve to COMPLAIN about it. What did they expect??? All women were now Catholic just by living in this town????

The local police also did not take rape victims to this hospital either, but took them 15 miles away to the State University Hospital where they would at least have birth control options.

Old 01-01-2016, 10:30 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,220,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
No woman should go to a catholic hospital! I am in the medical business and I personally have dealt with women, who transferred from a catholic hospital after being denied treatment, who were at deaths door!
Baloney.

Quote:
Although I cannot disclose any details of my professional experiences, there are many out there.
Sure you can. You're not a doctor, and even doctors, who are asked to present/speak at conferences to hundreds label them as "Patient A, Female, 25 years old…."

That sounds more like the doctors should be sued, not the hospital for being "Catholic".

It's not an "abortion" if you give a woman cervidil (or the like) combined with pitocin to induce labor when a WANTED non-viable pregnancy has been determined, at least not at my local Catholic hospital.

A good friend of mine spent close to a week in the local Catholic hospital (where I also delivered all 3 of mine) waiting for her 21 weeker to be "born" - he had a heartbeat but no kidneys (Potter's Syndrome), she found this out at her 20 week US. Huge risk to her life, she had no choice. The attempts at induction didn't work. The hospital wouldn't abort after induction failed, so she packed up her bags, drove out of state (couldn't have a legal 21 week abortion at any hospital in the state) and had the baby aborted.

This particular Catholic hospital is a state designated regional care center for perinatal patients.

Women from all over the state go out of their way to deliver there and due to that fact.

Last edited by Informed Info; 01-01-2016 at 11:53 PM..

Old 01-01-2016, 10:47 PM

31,909 posts, read 14,904,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma83 View Post
https://www.yahoo.com/news/pregnant-...212042159.html

Um. How about YOU (as in lady suing) give birth somewhere else? Its a RELIGIOUS hospital! You KNOW their views BEFORE you go there....so tired of the attack on religious rights. If a judge forces this hospital to give this woman her surgery she wants I hope the surgeon screws up something...such damn whiners.
How is this an attack on religious rights? It's more an attack on the rights of people. She was poor and knew she couldn't take care of more kids. She wanted to do the right thing but was denied.

Old 01-01-2016, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I lived in NY where the local non-sectarian hospital was bought out by a Catholic hospital. The local people fought this buy out for this exact reason, plus for rape victims not being given Morning After Pill options.
Really? A town of people fought over the "buying out" of a public/private (obviously failing) hospital by a "Catholic hospital" due to not being allowed to abort after attempts at delivering a non-viable pregnancy failed?

Rape victims? WHY was that even a consideration? The rate of rape in this town in NY (where you live/lived) is so high that it was a legitimate consideration?

Here's your scrip (from the hospital doc) for Plan B…go to Walgreens/CVS/Rite Aid/ etc…

Quote:
What happened? Women giving birth and wanting a tubal after were not delivering their babies at this hospital and going out of town. This hospital even had to shut down a major part of their Maternity Ward (low contracepting birthrates also), and had the nerve to COMPLAIN about it. What did they expect??? All women were now Catholic just by living in this town????
What a town that must be!

So many women wanted to get sterilized after giving birth, in this town, that once the local hospital went all Catholic the Maternity Ward (major part of ) shut down?

Quote:
The local police also did not take rape victims to this hospital either, but took them 15 miles away to the State University Hospital where they would at least have birth control options.
So all of the town's local rape victims called on the local police to get them to a hospital that would give them Plan B, right after they were raped? Like that was their first thought on either end?

Where is this town?

It needs to be avoided like the plague.

Old 01-02-2016, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
How is this an attack on religious rights? It's more an attack on the rights of people. She was poor and knew she couldn't take care of more kids. She wanted to do the right thing but was denied.
Absolutely!

Get your tubes tied. Please.

But why not do so at a hospital that is a-ok with it?

She has a choice.

She's having a scheduled section.

It's not like her OB didn't know what the hospital he has privileges at "does" or "does not".

Last edited by Informed Info; 01-02-2016 at 12:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies