U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2016, 09:37 AM

29,287 posts, read 39,611,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Kinda weird isn't it. An unarmed population protesting government, v. an armed population protesting government.
2 totally different outcomes.

One catches a lot of resistance from government to control the situation, the other not much. Government bails quickly and the people take back what they feel is rightly theirs from the government, without any bloodshed and rather peacefully swift.
LOL. Guns have nothing to do with it. A federal SWAT team could clean out this vermin in five minutes. What is at work is too much tolerance from a weak Obama administration. Do you think Reagan would have put up with terrorists seizing federal property?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 09:39 AM

66,154 posts, read 33,583,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Actually the Wildlife Refuge was created in 1908 by executive order from Teddy Roosevelt, great president looking to the future, but that is not the issue these nuts are protesting.
The US Constitution, did not authorize Teddy Roosevelts Unconstitutional EO. The federal government is not to own property, other than naval ports and the District of Columbia.

Old 01-04-2016, 09:44 AM

41,505 posts, read 51,230,061 times
I think it is about time the ranch economies of the West paid the rest of us the full cost of providing grazing and irrigation water. We should also cease the crop subsidies and the Gasohol programs. that would save the rest of us quite a lot of money.

We, the rest of the population, do not owe you Westerners anything.

I suggest just placing an absolute siege on these folks. No contacts, nor phones, no power, no food and no water. Then arrest then as they drag their frozen starving carcasses out into the cold. There is no need for a firefight even if they start shooting first. If the shoot anyone than add murder to the insurrection, terrorism and trespassing charges.

BTW - We, operating through our Congress, authorized the Federal government to administer the lands we captured from the native occupants. Most of the time these lands were then developed by the application of tremendous amounts of federal money building dams and irrigation systems that have never paid for themselves thorough water payments. Grazing lands were similarly subsidized. The Federal government (the rest of us) has done far more for the West than it has done for us.

FWIW - As far as I know there is nothing in the Constitution that prevents the Federal government from owing land or anything else.

Old 01-04-2016, 09:47 AM

29,588 posts, read 16,337,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I think it is about time the ranch economies of the West paid the rest of us the full cost of providing grazing and irrigation water. We should also cease the crop subsidies and the Gasohol programs. that would save the rest of us quite a lot of money.

We, the rest of the population, do not owe you Westerners anything.

I suggest just placing an absolute siege on these folks. No contacts, nor phones, no power, no food and no water. Then arrest then as they drag their frozen starving carcasses out into the cold. There is no need for a firefight even if they start shooting first. If the shoot anyone than add murder to the insurrection, terrorism and trespassing charges.
Everyone should bare the true cost of things and yes please end all the subsidies, but also we don't owe you any land out west. You want land out west Greg, you pay for it.

Old 01-04-2016, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Where in the US constitution, is the federal government authorized to own land other than military base/port, and a small chunk of land called the District of Columbia?????. The Federal Government says they "own" over 50% of some states in many cases.
In my state. I love it. Millions and millions and millions of acres of PUBLIC land that I can enjoy for fishing, hunting, shooting, camping, hiking and other outdoor recreation without seeing a single No Trespassing sign.

Old 01-04-2016, 09:52 AM

66,154 posts, read 33,583,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
LOL. Guns have nothing to do with it. A federal SWAT team could clean out this vermin in five minutes. What is at work is too much tolerance from a weak Obama administration. Do you think Reagan would have put up with terrorists seizing federal property?

Could.. They could have cleaned out the Bundy revolt too.
Where were they to do it?

Times are a changing and guns are now brought to the protest for a good reason.

Signs and yelling don't seem to get the attention of the bullies with guns.

Old 01-04-2016, 09:53 AM

29,588 posts, read 16,337,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
In my state. I love it. Millions and millions and millions of acres of PUBLIC land that I can enjoy for fishing, hunting, shooting, camping, hiking and other outdoor recreation without seeing a single No Trespassing sign.
Because there would be no wilderness or land for you to enjoy if you didn't make your neighbor pay for it?

Old 01-04-2016, 09:53 AM

35,052 posts, read 19,171,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma83 View Post
Oregon ranching case sparks anti-government sentiment

1. Should have never stolen the families land
2. Should have never prosecuted them under an "anti terrorism law" when there was NO TERRORISM
3. People should fight back. Armed if need be. Seems to be only thing jackboot thugs understand. Worked in 2014 will work again. Its outrageous these men have ALREADY served time AND been released and now being FORCED to become slaves to the system again.

1. Go to Oregon.
2. Make the big bad gummint back down.
3. Come back and give us a good report.

Old 01-04-2016, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Could.. They could have cleaned out the Bundy revolt too.
Where were they to do it?

Times are a changing and guns are now brought to the protest for a good reason.

Signs and yelling don't seem to get the attention of the bullies with guns.
That's exactly what I mean. Obama does not get it whether it's red lines in Syria or Bundy. You have to act swiftly and decisively. If he fails to do so again, these wingnut actions will spread out of control. They have to learn that if they engage in terrorism like this again, they and their families who are with them will be killed.

Old 01-04-2016, 09:56 AM

41,505 posts, read 51,230,061 times
FWIW - If I want to own and use land anywhere I know I will have to pay for it. Why do the Westerners seem to think the Federal government should let them use the land and consume the water for less than it costs to provide that land and water? Why does the government sell timber from Federal Forests for less than it costs to replace?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies