Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 07:18 PM

17,378 posts, read 13,158,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo3000 View Post
One of my crazy friends told me months ago that integration in the U.S. military was one of the worst things to happen to the U.S. LOL. Do you agree or disagree?
Where did this crap come from? The military was integrated over 50 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2016, 07:30 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,721,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
I was in the USAF and AFSC's (jobs) are assigned according to ASVAB scores not IQ.

The AFQT (ASVAB) is very similar to IQ tests and accomplishes the same thing.

Old 01-02-2016, 07:31 PM

7,575 posts, read 5,294,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I saw a clip on Decades network that blacks were insubordinate and rioting on a carrier ship in Vietnam in a warzone. The military didn't punish them and mostly buried and white washed it, blaming it on 'war protests', whites or such. They got to keep the myth of integration being good alive at any cost.]
Get your facts straight and stay off those white power websites, you'll be a better person for it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Kitty_Hawk_riot

Old 01-03-2016, 08:20 AM

12,309 posts, read 8,040,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Where did this crap come from? The military was integrated over 50 years ago.
We know where the crap came from and from their perspective the successful integration of the US military proved that Americans would accept a racially integrated general society which did follow in the next decades. It was one of those major events like losing the US War Between The States that gave us the world we live in now and not the world of their dreams where European ancestry gives more social advantages

Old 01-03-2016, 12:26 PM

50,368 posts, read 23,960,107 times
I'm not sure how this fits into the discussion, but I'll tell you a story.

My father was career military in food service. Back in the early 1960s he was stationed at Pease Air Force Base in New Hampshire. My family went camping in that area one summer, and so one day my father asked me if I wanted to visit his mess hall and see where he worked and how the operations were organized.

I knew my father did not like Blacks, although he wasn't the type to do anything overt. So I was surprised when I visited his mess hall and discovered that most of the soldiers working under him were Black. I thought to myself, well, this must not be a good situation. As my father took me around, he introduced me to most of the soldiers working there, and almost without exception they told me how great my father was to work for...in fact, their compliments were glowing.

I never respected my father's beliefs about Blacks, but I did respect his ability to work and associate with them without letting his inner feelings show.

Old 01-03-2016, 01:04 PM

46,857 posts, read 25,803,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
IDK???

But nature pushes on us, even if it is not PC. Humans group and identify by race......even in the military.
Ever worn green? Even the most basic of training is about eradicating a whole lot of the impulses "nature pushes on us", the first being the impulse to not run towards your likely death. Once the military machine is done with you, you "group and identify" with those in your unit. You may not even like them very much, but you will still risk your life for theirs and vice versa.

Even people who are ardent racists tend to find themselves making mental exceptions.

Old 01-03-2016, 01:09 PM

46,857 posts, read 25,803,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma83 View Post
Did your friend serve? Did they say WHY it was a horrible idea? From my personal point of view I think integration that is forced is ALWAYS wrong.
Ehm - it's the armed forces. They're there to protect democracy, not practice it. They are, in fact, forced to do a lot of things.

Last edited by Dane_in_LA; 01-03-2016 at 02:00 PM..

Old 01-03-2016, 01:29 PM

39,023 posts, read 27,413,633 times
Not so sure the merits of desegregation are enough to dismantle the powerful force of de facto segregation. I think in some ways, even with integration, America remains separate and unequal. There are still people who prefer to live and associate with those who look like them. Even if someone attends school in a racially diverse setting, chances are, they may return to a racially homogenous neighborhood. So forced integration in civilian world is not necessarily the best idea for SOME people.

Military, however, I think forced integration is a good idea. Do you honestly believe all white soldiers can get along just fine? All black Marines just all love each other? Let's face it, why do you think military is suppose to have just one culture, military culture? Why do you think there are no hero in bootcamp? Everybody was equally worthless until they became Marine?! If you are incapable of team work, then you don't have the mentality to be in the combat unit. This is just a proven fact.

If you cannot risk your life for your fellow Marine or soldier who is white, black Asian, jews homosexuals, then maybe you shoud not be in the combat unit. Military is not for everybody, it is for somebody with very unique personality and great self control. Combat friendships usually last a life time, and there is nothing "forced" about it. We are who we are through experiences.

Old 01-03-2016, 01:34 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,320,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo3000 View Post
One of my crazy friends told me months ago that integration in the U.S. military was one of the worst things to happen to the U.S. LOL. Do you agree or disagree?
Your friend is wrong. I served with excellent men of all races when I was in Iraq with the 82nd ABN. Black, brown or otherwise, I trusted them with my life and they never let me down. Race doesn't mean anything downrange.

Old 01-03-2016, 01:44 PM

25,395 posts, read 17,077,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Exactly. No one. Over 30% of my husband's unit didn't come back from Afghanistan on his first deployment. Who the !!!! is thinking about integration issues?

Wow.
The unit with the greatest percentage of casualties in Afghanistan was 3rd Battalion/5th Marines. Out of 1000 men they lost 25 with another 184 wounded.
No significant unit lost 30% unless a "unit" is defined as as something other than what it actually is, like a tank crew or something.
An Afghan Hell On Earth For 'Darkhorse' Marines : NPR

During battle if a unit receives something in the order of 10% casualties, their capabilities become seriously degraded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies