Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 12:14 AM

1,645 posts, read 1,213,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I'm an nra life member and tend to think that generalized open carry is a dumb idea. if you're going fishing at Kenai w/ bears about fine, open carry your .454 casull. But if you're going to the public library on Saturday morning, it is not too much trouble to ccw. I am a small guy, 5'7" 130 lbs, and can conceal my glock 19 under t shirt and shorts.

Open carry in an urban library, grocery store, etc is the equivalent of a gay rights activist wearing crothchless chaps. Hey, look at me!!!!

Most often I could not agree more; I almost always Carry Conceal, but on the rare occasion I do open carry it is most often too and from the range, and then I happen to be going on a quick errand either before or after. But I like having the choice. I am Glad Texas is now choosing to allow open carry if a person wants too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2016, 06:15 AM

25,838 posts, read 16,515,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I hate this new law. I fear innocent people will be killed because of it, and the police will get even more fear, and that's not a good thing. I would like to point out that black people have been exonerated here for defending themselves with a gun. People in Texas believe that any person, not matter their color, have a right to defend themselves.

I still think we won't see that many openly carrying a weapon since it just puts a target on them. They will continue concealing them and most people won't even realize it, just as it was before the open carry came into law.
People die for freedom. What Obama is doing to this country will kill far more. If Texas is OK with open carry that is their right as a State to make their own laws.

I am believing more and more in State's rights as a hedge against a little tinpot tyrant like Obama.

And BTW, I do not own a gun and do not plan on ever owning one.

Old 01-03-2016, 06:38 AM

27,119 posts, read 15,300,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
People do not walk around with guns hanging out in Florida, because open carry is banned in public other than in certain restricted circumstances (hunting, etc.).

To those in Texas--aren't you worried that terrorists can also walk around with their guns at the ready?

Why are you asking just Texans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Most states in this country recognize legal open carry and year and year, month after month homicide rates continue to fall in the US. The anti-gun folks are always wrong, always.

Old 01-03-2016, 06:55 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
And how many of these so called "good guys with guns" stopped mass shootings
LOL... Last year 23 mass shooters were killed by armed citizens but since they never became mass shooters you never heard about them.

Old 01-03-2016, 09:27 AM

2,468 posts, read 1,918,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
LOL... Last year 23 mass shooters were killed by armed citizens but since they never became mass shooters you never heard about them.
And how many "good guys with guns just before they became bad guys" conducted mass killings?

Old 01-03-2016, 10:13 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,029,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
And how many "good guys with guns just before they became bad guys" conducted mass killings?
Well given that in this country we are all supposed to be presumed innocent until proven guilty, I'd say that's a pretty stupid question.

Should we lock everyone on the planet up before they commit crimes?

Old 01-03-2016, 10:18 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,932,912 times
Quote:
That sounds like a good research project for you.... Go see how many of the recent mass murderers were holders of a concealed handgun permit... I already know the answer, but you need to see it for yourself.

Old 01-03-2016, 10:19 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
People do not walk around with guns hanging out in Florida, because open carry is banned in public other than in certain restricted circumstances (hunting, etc.).

To those in Texas--aren't you worried that terrorists can also walk around with their guns at the ready?
We'll never know how many, if any, in the San Bernardino county building were CC at the time of the attack.

Old 01-03-2016, 10:27 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,932,912 times
Quote:

First, "terrorists" typically utilize rifles. The open carry law pertains to handguns. Second. In order to legally open carry you must first obtain a concealed carry permit. Perhaps you should read the law before you start asking questions that are intended to support your agenda. That way you won't look quite so foolish.

Old 01-03-2016, 11:21 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,083,636 times
Quote:
None. There were no mass shooting by people legally licensed to carry.

You seem to have trouble distinguishing between good guys and bad guys.

Here is a hint...
The good guys have been finger printed, photoed, paid fees, taken carry classes. Passed firearm proficiency tests, filed the proper paperwork, passed thorough background checks and waited weeks or months to get their license.

People that just shove a gun in their waistband and carry in public are breaking the law.

Last edited by Orlandochuck1; 01-03-2016 at 11:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies