Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2016, 10:56 PM

50,806 posts, read 24,310,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Lol...of course they were...OR ELSE!

But I see no reason why such a depiction deserves an Oscar. And I surely can't understand why someone would look at the particular character and attempt to ascribe some meaningful attributes to the role. She's a slave servant on a plantation who had better do what she's told. Her life means no more than a cockroach's would in that era.

Add to it the exaggerated bug eyes and greasy face....it all adds up to a disaster.

If that film were to be made today, there's no way that Mammy could be cast in that way. That tells me all I need to know.
Well, then we'll dig her up and tell her she was a disgrace to her race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2016, 10:58 PM

50,806 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
What illegal acts did the NAACP commit in 1916? The organization wasn't even 10 years old in 1916. Also, the NAACP hasn't done anything illegal that I am aware of. The only thing they were actively involved in during the Civil Rights Movement was voter registration drives, which aren't/weren't illegal and providing legal counsel to people who they felt were discriminated against in the criminal justice system or greater American society.
I'll bet that the NAACP, an organization I was a member of for 2 decades, probably did some illegal things over the years. But the other poster trying to compare them to the KKK is laughable.

Old 01-18-2016, 02:23 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,173,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Which ones?
You really think I am going to recount a bunch of films here? Please. Like I said, I have seen some. I watch Hollywood movies that I feel are decent. As stated, Hollywood puts out a lot of trash and it follows that you can find the trash in the Oscars.

No one said everything was trash, so don't get your panties in a bunch.

Old 01-18-2016, 04:22 AM

19,024 posts, read 14,201,797 times
Let's not forget the racism of not selecting Inuit, Athabaskan, nor Rust Belt left handed Polish-Irish Actors for an Oscar.

Old 01-18-2016, 04:43 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times
It's about 'visual minorities', who cares if a white person is of Polish or Irish or whatever origin...

Old 01-20-2016, 10:04 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,518,202 times
Default Academy Members Defend Their Oscar Votes: "To Imply We Are Racists Is Extremely Offensive"

Quote:
Academy Members Defend Their Oscar Votes: "To Imply We Are Racists Is Extremely Offensive"

It has been a week of uncomfortable conversations in Hollywood. While many agree that the Academy's overwhelmingly white membership does play a role in the types of films and performances that get Oscar attention, some white members privately express resentment over accusations of racism in failing to nominate a single nonwhite actor or anoint Straight Outta Compton a best picture candidate.

Another member of the actors branch, who wishes to remain anonymous, says, "I'm very offended by the idea that some people are calling us racists — race was the furthest thing from my mind when I cast my ballot, and in fact I nominated one person of color for an award. Such a sweeping declaration is extremely irresponsible."
The Democrat left has trained the black community to use these sorts of insults as manipulative tools. Political correctness establishes that they cannot be wrong and that whatever "white" people they accuse, must submit.

We have seen the BLM movement cry racism and go after not only the cops, but the very idea of law and order in our country. On university campuses, the political correctness movement (safe spaces and trigger warnings) cries racism and the administrations of universities across the country bow the knee to these petulant thugs.

These leftist elites, which certainly includes the Hollywood crows, contributed mightily in the development of these cultural expectations of political correctness, including the expectation that effectively any "white" person who is called a racist by a "black" person, must be. They certainly did. And now their chickens have come home to roost.

Now they know what it feels like to be on the receiving end of people bearing false witness against you with no way for you to effectively receive justice. What goes around, comes around. They have brought this on themselves. Hopefully they will learn something from this experience. But I doubt it.

Old 01-21-2016, 07:43 AM

20,459 posts, read 12,379,585 times
So I have questions.

I don't really have a clue about movies. I know Star Wars came out... I intend to see it... I hope I get around to it before it leaves the theaters...LOL

I have seen a lot about this with lots of angst and anger....
But...

Can someone please list me the actors that were snubbed? do we know what movies and what roles were Oscar deserving but didn't get nomiations?

Old 01-21-2016, 07:50 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,228,034 times
What about the Asians?

Old 01-21-2016, 07:59 AM

1,793 posts, read 1,441,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
What about the Asians?
And Hispanics?

How long can the Blacks keep hogging all the Diversity relish? Saw some articles about minority coaches in the NFL. Bemoaning that there are only 5 blacks....but interestingly enough, there's only 1 Hispanic coach. And Hispanics are a larger minority than blacks!

I'm sure by now that everyone has seen the numbers for black Oscars, its sitting right at their percentage of the population.

When are Spike and Jada gonna protest the Nobel prizes?

Old 01-21-2016, 08:10 AM

21,474 posts, read 10,572,809 times
From what I've read, the way the movies are nominated is for people to mark their preferences on the ballots. So, they would mark them in the order they believe they deserve. If a lot of the committee put Straight Outta Compton as a fourth or fifth choice, then it wouldn't get nominated because it would have to be in a lot of first or second place spots.

To me this seems the fairest way to nominate movies, but I can see how it would hurt certain movies if the nomination committee consisted of a lot of older people, or there were a lot of really great movies that year to choose from.

I really enjoyed Straight Outta Compton, but I didn't think it was Best Picture material, anymore than I thought Brokeback Mountain was. I haven't seen a lot of the movies that were nominated, so I'm a poor judge, but I really doubt I'd like the Danish Girl flick more than Straight Outta Compton. But to me, the Danish Girl flick is exactly the type of movie favored by the Oscars.

I never usually like all the nominations for the Grammy's either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies