Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 09:26 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,442,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
That people are required to identify with color as an identity in the U.S. is problematic. Color labels were instituted precisely to make people of non-European origins the opposite of whites (in fact, color labels were forced on people of African origin). But that was the doing of whites...

...just like this article was written by someone white.
So Africans weren't considered black or Negro until the White man said so? OMG, that's hilarious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 09:37 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,171,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
So Africans weren't considered black or Negro until the White man said so? OMG, that's hilarious.
This cannot be a serious question.

Africans identify by ethnic group/tribe, even until this day.

Do you really think that a Yoruba man would walk up to an Igbo like, hey "black" brother? Hahaha, please.

No one carried any "black" identity until Europeans. Ther were no "black" people brought to the U.S. or the Americas in general. There were over 45 different ethnic groups brought to the U.S.

Hell, even Somali model, Iman, has stated one has to "learn" to be "black" when coming to the U.S.

Old 01-04-2016, 09:59 AM

23,548 posts, read 17,219,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
So apparently last year (2014) pretty much all the Oscar awards for best film entertainment went to "white" people. This created quite a stir in the politically correct leftist fantasy world of Hollywood. They all crinkled their foreheads and promised to do better next (this) year (2015).

In order to compensate, it now appears that this year the Oscars may be decided in many cases based on skin color and public perception surveys rather than on who the best performers are. In fact, the nominations are shaping up to be predominately "white" again.

What will the priority be here? To award the best actors and actresses based on their skills, their artistic merit and their achievement? Or to kowtow to the leftist values of political correctness? If this article at the LA Times is accurate, it will almost certainly be the latter.

To be fair, I have not been to a movie in an actual movie theater in years, so I am not a good person to judge who the best actors and actresses are or what the best movies were in 2015. Perhaps this very liberal Hollywood crowd is sincerely discriminating against black actors based on their skin color. Who am I to say?

But if it is somehow the case that nearly all of the very best actors and actresses this year had low levels of melanin in their skin, should they be discriminated against because of that? I certainly do not think so.

Radical idea - Perhaps these awards should be awarded based on merit and not on skin color, either way.
Give anyone who wants an oscar an oscar. If you don't you might cause someone to be upset.

Old 01-04-2016, 10:57 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,442,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
This cannot be a serious question.

Africans identify by ethnic group/tribe, even until this day.

Do you really think that a Yoruba man would walk up to an Igbo like, hey "black" brother? Hahaha, please.

No one carried any "black" identity until Europeans. Ther were no "black" people brought to the U.S. or the Americas in general. There were over 45 different ethnic groups brought to the U.S.

Hell, even Somali model, Iman, has stated one has to "learn" to be "black" when coming to the U.S.
Learn to be black meaning African American because they will be turned on by American Blacks if they don't. BTW, it was a serious question. You black people blame every single thing on white people, enough is enough already, it's disgusting and completely racist.

Old 01-04-2016, 10:59 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,992,868 times
One of the questions should be: where are all the black writers/producers/directors to tell black people's stories (other than slavery/civil rights ones)? Spike Lee and John Singleton can't be doing all the heavy work. Tarantino made one of the best 'black' movies recently (Django Unchained) and got critizied for it because, tah-dah!, he's white. Spike Lee was bitter because Tarantino made the kind of revenge film Lee dreamed about making but didn't. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Old 01-04-2016, 11:01 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,280,030 times
If it so happens that whites did better in a year with acting, why should they be denied due to color? That would be racist IMO.

Do we complain about racial inequality in sports? I don't see a lot of short Jews or small Asians represented in Football or Basketball.

Old 01-04-2016, 12:09 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,171,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Learn to be black meaning African American because they will be turned on by American Blacks if they don't. BTW, it was a serious question. You black people blame every single thing on white people, enough is enough already, it's disgusting and completely racist.
GET OVER IT ALREADY. Color identities are yours. It is your culture or lack of, more appropriately.

I am not African-American and the WHOLE WORLD knows that the white/black nonsense comes out of Europe. Stop trying to push and pass off your race-based culture on others.

It was a seriously DUMB question. You want to be mad about being white? Then battle that out with your ancestors.

Color is obviously the extent of your culture. But that's not the case for the rest of the world...especially not people of African origin. Never has been and never will be.

Again, get over it.

Last edited by ReineDeCoeur; 01-04-2016 at 12:21 PM..

Old 01-04-2016, 12:17 PM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Instead of fretting about the awards, they should ask themselves why they don't cast many minorities in lead roles of good movies.

Old 01-04-2016, 12:30 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,755,488 times
If we're being truthful, the only people who complain about this are blacks. I've YET to hear any Hispanic person complain that there aren't enough Hispanics in movies or that there aren't enough Hispanics being nominated for awards. If all the Oscar nominees happen to be white, so what? If no blacks are nominated, it's not an intentional slight on blacks. This whole idea that you "need to" nominate non-white people otherwise you are a racist is pretty absurd. It's political correctness gone mad.

I think the problem lies in the fact that a lot of today's blacks were raised by parents/grandparents who grew up in the pre-civil rights era, and therefore that's why they see certain things as "racist". If the Oscar nominees all happen to be white, that's not racism.

Old 01-04-2016, 12:33 PM

50,794 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Here's a problem I see.

Back a while I went to a movie and happened to mention it the next day at work as being quite good. The response I got was: "But that's a Black film."

To me, a good film is a good film. I don't care if it has a mostly White or a mostly Black cast. If I see an all-White cast or an all-Black cast I do get uncomfortable, because that's not what I see as life in America today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies