Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 05:07 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AminWi View Post
I agree with you to an extent, but on the other hand, we leave it up to individuals or unions to negotiate many, many benefits. Flexible schedules, for example, often get negotiated by individuals on a per-case basis. Salaries, too. So when, for example, a woman's salary is lower than her male counterparts, she is often told that it is lower because she didn't negotiate better. When one employee is able to negotiate working from home or having a flexible schedule to pick up kids and a different employee is not (for whatever reason), that is again chalked up to an individuals negotiation skills. I guess I'm struggling to see how this is fundamentally different.
We will probably have to agree to disagree, my neighbor to the North, but the difference for me is, I don't see other people accepting jobs and then making demands after they get them. While we don't know if this was the case in all of these circumstances, it seems like a common theme. In addition, I've read several articles where the companies tried to make things work and it wasn't enough, and I have a problem with that. There must be flexibility on both sides, not just one.

Old 01-05-2016, 06:24 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Look, people are employed to work. Most places allow one or two paid breaks and an unpaid lunch period. No employer should be expected to accommodate more breaks for Muslims than other employees get. And how staff is deployed (how many are required to "man" an operation) is within the purview of the employer.

If prospective employees don't like that, they shouldn't accept the job.

Old 01-05-2016, 11:08 PM

10,829 posts, read 5,436,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
What makes you believe we are not?
Liberal New York City Mayor Bill DeBlasio put an end to the NYPD's intelligence gathering program targeting mosques.

Old 01-06-2016, 01:23 AM

7,043 posts, read 6,295,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Look, people are employed to work. Most places allow one or two paid breaks and an unpaid lunch period. No employer should be expected to accommodate more breaks for Muslims than other employees get. And how staff is deployed (how many are required to "man" an operation) is within the purview of the employer.

If prospective employees don't like that, they shouldn't accept the job.
This is totally correct. Even as a salaried employee I certainly couldn't have taken 5 breaks on work time. Neither should they.

Old 01-06-2016, 01:42 AM

2,919 posts, read 3,187,379 times
Well these meat packing plants hire them...so they are going to have to deal with the issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies