Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2016, 10:44 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,730,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
On the other hand, we, lawfully gun owners, are asking to stop making laws only targeting us and making law abiding citizens into criminals just because we own certain objects.
I don't know what you mean here. Can you specify what laws, or proposed laws, you are talking about?

I don't know of any laws that turn law-abiding citizens into criminals just because they own a gun - except for maybe the proposal to incorporate the notion of "mentally ill" in the gun registration process. I admit this is a disturbing development because I'm not sure how we can come up with clear guidelines for identifying "mentally ill" and I'm not sure that further erosions of doctor/patient confidentiality are a good idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 10:51 AM

50,232 posts, read 46,991,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
I don't know what you mean here. Can you specify what laws, or proposed laws, you are talking about?

I don't know of any laws that turn law-abiding citizens into criminals just because they own a gun - except for maybe the proposal to incorporate the notion of "mentally ill" in the gun registration process. I admit this is a disturbing development because I'm not sure how we can come up with clear guidelines for identifying "mentally ill" and I'm not sure that further erosions of doctor/patient confidentiality are a good idea.
Any assault weapons ban that requires people to, after the fact, register a weapon. Any standard capacity mag ban that outlaws, after the fact, use or possession of. As a matter of fact, any law that gets put into place after the weapon was legally purchased.

So, now you do know.

Old 01-15-2016, 12:16 PM

3,429 posts, read 2,730,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Any assault weapons ban that requires people to, after the fact, register a weapon. Any standard capacity mag ban that outlaws, after the fact, use or possession of. As a matter of fact, any law that gets put into place after the weapon was legally purchased.
Ah! Thanks. I see. But then gun owners are not being turned into criminals just because they own a gun; they only become criminals if they fail to comply with the law that requires them to register their guns.

Old 01-15-2016, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Ah! Thanks. I see. But then gun owners are not being turned into criminals just because they own a gun; they only become criminals if they fail to comply with the law that requires them to register their guns.
Or turn in the magazines, put on a mag lock or weld their gun, destroy it completely, ya those little things.

Does that sound reasonable? NY only had something like 15% compliance. Do we round up millions of gun owners that weren't even aware of what they were expected to do? Instant felons because some Politician says so.

I see a lot of wrong with that. But ya, millions of NYers are demonstrating civil disobedience. How come they aren't all being arrested. Just a few hand picked ones to be made examples.

Plus all the BS fees the Govt is stealing from these gun owners.

Old 01-15-2016, 12:38 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,113,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Or turn in the magazines, put on a mag lock or weld their gun, destroy it completely, ya those little things.

Does that sound reasonable? NY only had something like 15% compliance. Do we round up millions of gun owners that weren't even aware of what they were expected to do? Instant felons because some Politician says so.

I see a lot of wrong with that. But ya, millions of NYers are demonstrating civil disobedience. How come they aren't all being arrested. Just a few hand picked ones to be made examples.

Plus all the BS fees the Govt is stealing from these gun owners.
Most of the folks in New York live in one the densest areas in the country. Why would a very urbanized state have lax rules like Idaho?

Inconvenience isn't an excuse.

Old 01-15-2016, 01:20 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,591,490 times
Quote:
I don't see any good reason to think that Obama is trying to disarm "the people". I don't see any good evidence that advocates of gun laws, in general, are try to disarm "the people." The goal is to disarm criminals to whatever extent we reasonably can (even though we all know full well that we can't disarm all of them, or even most of them).

I'm sure you will correct me if I'm wrong, but what you seem to be saying is this: Convicted felons who have been released from prison are citizens, and thus they have a right to own guns because the 2nd Amendment is an absolute right.

But I'm saying that none of the rights listed in the US Constitution are absolute - all rights are limited insofar as they conflict with other rights, or, in some cases, conflict with overwhelmingly obvious common sense. If the right to have guns is an absolute right, then children and felons in prison should have the right to have guns. Thus, the question is not can or should the government put limits on the right to have guns, but rather: what are the reasonable limits? Ultimately the courts have to decide this - just as they have to determine the limits of other rights.

Just curious: As you see it, should the government allow children (say, age 6, for example) to carry loaded guns on public streets? If not, why not? On what basis, as you see it, can the government prohibit this?

The right to own a weapon have been limited by the very government we the people, clearly told NO, you the government will not tell me a person what weapon I can have to keep you the government at bay.

Sorry, that ain't how it worked to get us to where we are now.
My civil rights have been severely limited since the signing of the Constitution. Limited by statutory law of man. Bwhahahaha! My rights are not given to me by man, for man to take.

Old 01-15-2016, 01:55 PM

29,526 posts, read 9,696,629 times
Default where we are now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The right to own a weapon have been limited by the very government we the people, clearly told NO, you the government will not tell me a person what weapon I can have to keep you the government at bay.

Sorry, that ain't how it worked to get us to where we are now.
My civil rights have been severely limited since the signing of the Constitution. Limited by statutory law of man. Bwhahahaha! My rights are not given to me by man, for man to take.
You also losing sleep at night over who it is telling us we can't have a tank? Or grenade? Or whatever else "we the people" think we need to keep government at bay? I ask, because I'm thinking I need more than a machine gun all considered from what I can tell we're up against today, but I don't think I can get RPGs or what the FBI, for example, has to choose from. Does this mean we are already under tyrannical rule?

Shoot! When did that happen?

Old 01-15-2016, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Most of the folks in New York live in one the densest areas in the country. Why would a very urbanized state have lax rules like Idaho?

Inconvenience isn't an excuse.
CA did too and most of the State is not urban. Besides, none of those "laws" have anything to do with safety.

Old 01-15-2016, 02:01 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,591,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
You also losing sleep at night over who it is telling us we can't have a tank? Or grenade? Or whatever else "we the people" think we need to keep government at bay? I ask, because I'm thinking I need more than a machine gun all considered from what I can tell we're up against today, but I don't think I can get RPGs or what the FBI, for example, has to choose from. Does this mean we are already under tyrannical rule?

Shoot! When did that happen?

You sound like you know the truth and cannot bring yourself to admit it.
They come after the rifle that is dangerous to government, when the deadlier handgun is the peoples problem. The Black scary looking rifle with 30 rounds and easily modified to fully auto, needs to be ban!

How long has our government been fighting an AK-47 in Afghanistan?

Old 01-15-2016, 02:22 PM

29,526 posts, read 9,696,629 times
Default Gun talk...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
You sound like you know the truth and cannot bring yourself to admit it.
They come after the rifle that is dangerous to government, when the deadlier handgun is the peoples problem. The Black scary looking rifle with 30 rounds and easily modified to fully auto, needs to be ban!

How long has our government been fighting an AK-47 in Afghanistan?
I know how much gun enthusiasts like firing guns, polishing guns, looking at guns and talking about guns, but I thought these more recent comments were about the notion we are somehow protecting ourselves against tyranny with our guns, regardless what kind. For the most part nonsense far as I am concerned, but I sure hope the problem won't ever become reality here in America...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies