Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2016, 10:57 AM

29,380 posts, read 9,560,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
The entire clause reads
To make all Laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into Execution the foregoing Powers, and all other Powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the United States, or in any Department or Officer thereof.
It is part of Article 1, Section 8 after the 18 enumerated powers of Congress. Transcript of the Constitution of the United States - Official Text

They did not leave us without that ability. It's the 10th Amendment Bill of Rights Transcript Text
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.
I didn't need the clarification of what words are found where in the Constitution, but it might be worth a moment of reflection to consider those particular words that read, "and all other Powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the United States, or in any Department or Officer thereof." The fact that "all other Powers" is included means we consider more than just "the foregoing Powers."

Then ultimately, you write our founding fathers "did not leave us without that ability" [to regulate as I previously pointed out was necessary]. Which is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 11:08 AM

50,108 posts, read 46,707,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Feel good laws to fool the stupid ignorant idiots, into a false sense of security, thinking it solves something.

Or a foot in the door to totally banning guns one day.
Shall not be infringed, means you may die, taking them away.
If a BC kept a criminal from committing a crime than that criminal is beyond lazy. Libs don't get criminals enough credit. If they want to kill someone, they will.

Old 01-20-2016, 11:28 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,719,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
If a BC kept a criminal from committing a crime than that criminal is beyond lazy. Libs don't get criminals enough credit. If they want to kill someone, they will.
I suspect that there are significant number of cases in which a few extra hours or a few extra days to think about something are enough to change a course of action. This isn't necessary being lazy; it is simply changing one's mind.

I'm not saying this would happen very often. I'm just saying that it might happen often enough so that it is not quite accurate to say that background checks are completely useless. And it would be virtually impossible to measure the number of crimes that don't get committed, so the results of the law might not be obvious. But this doesn't make the results any less real - especially if you, or a loved one, happens to be one of the people who doesn't die because a criminal changes his or her mind or gets caught while trying to skirt around the law.

Old 01-20-2016, 11:52 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,414,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
I suspect that there are significant number of cases in which a few extra hours or a few extra days to think about something are enough to change a course of action. This isn't necessary being lazy; it is simply changing one's mind.

I'm not saying this would happen very often. I'm just saying that it might happen often enough so that it is not quite accurate to say that background checks are completely useless. And it would be virtually impossible to measure the number of crimes that don't get committed, so the results of the law might not be obvious. But this doesn't make the results any less real - especially if you, or a loved one, happens to be one of the people who doesn't die because a criminal changes his or her mind or gets caught while trying to skirt around the law.
If I wanted you dead bad enough, it would be a done deal before nightfall.

Old 01-20-2016, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
If I wanted you dead bad enough, it would be a done deal before nightfall.
Luckily, you are not everyone. Most people are capable of changing their minds over the course of a few hours and, statistically speaking, if a thousand people are contemplating murder before nightfall, each passing minute between now and then could potentially see one or two people drop the idea. In addition to this, if gun laws force felons to look for a gun by some illegal means such as the black market, a few might get arrested in the process.

Old 01-20-2016, 12:16 PM

4,396 posts, read 4,892,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I didn't need the clarification of what words are found where in the Constitution, but it might be worth a moment of reflection to consider those particular words that read, "and all other Powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the United States, or in any Department or Officer thereof." The fact that "all other Powers" is included means we consider more than just "the foregoing Powers."

Then ultimately, you write our founding fathers "did not leave us without that ability" [to regulate as I previously pointed out was necessary]. Which is it?
Any power added to the Constitution via the Amendment process. Until then , the 18 powers originally listed are the only things under the purview of the federal government.

The power should rest with the state, county or local laws or via the Constitutional Amendment process.

Old 01-20-2016, 01:58 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,488,759 times
Quote:
Luckily, you are not everyone. Most people are capable of changing their minds over the course of a few hours and, statistically speaking, if a thousand people are contemplating murder before nightfall, each passing minute between now and then could potentially see one or two people drop the idea. In addition to this, if gun laws force felons to look for a gun by some illegal means such as the black market, a few might get arrested in the process.
Getting busted for illegally purchasing firearm? You are kidding right? LOL. When was last time the federal government enforce the gun laws?

The DOJ records have shown, years after years, the prosecution rate for people who lied on their firearm purchase form 4473 is below 0.08% or in liberal understandable number, less than 1 in 1000 cases.

That's how much effort our government has put in to enforce the current gun laws. Keep in mind that's when they had the criminal's name, address, birthday, description etc. etc. etc.

Old 01-20-2016, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Getting busted for illegally purchasing firearm? You are kidding right? LOL. When was last time the federal government enforce the gun laws?

The DOJ records have shown, years after years, the prosecution rate for people who lied on their firearm purchase form 4473 is below 0.08% or in liberal understandable number, less than 1 in 1000 cases.

That's how much effort our government has put in to enforce the current gun laws. Keep in mind that's when they had the criminal's name, address, birthday, description etc. etc. etc.
Exactly!!! This is why I'm glad for Obama's latest announcements. He is inexcusably late in doing this, but at least he is moving in the right direction now. The current laws should be enforced.

Old 01-20-2016, 03:14 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,085,041 times
Quote:
Exactly!!! This is why I'm glad for Obama's latest announcements. He is inexcusably late in doing this, but at least he is moving in the right direction now. The current laws should be enforced.
They should be but that will require more people in enforcement which can be funded or defunded based on who is in power.

Not to mention the intentional patchwork of guns laws need to be federalized to get rid of the loopholes and inconsistencies between state to state and even county to county.

Old 01-20-2016, 03:20 PM

29,380 posts, read 9,560,033 times
Default Read again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
Any power added to the Constitution via the Amendment process. Until then , the 18 powers originally listed are the only things under the purview of the federal government.
It reads, "and all other Powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the United States, or in any Department or Officer thereof."

As in addition to, and/or which are those "other" Powers they are referring to, and/or Department or Officer thereof, and/or I ask again..., you really think you know better than all the legal challenges, reviews, decisions over all these decades, up and down our legal system all the way to the SCOTUS? That's some pretty bold self-confidence right there, based on true legal study and review cross-checked by your peers, I wonder, or Tea Party membership?

Last edited by LearnMe; 01-20-2016 at 03:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies