Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which issues are more important social issues or fiscal issues?
I lean left politically and think social issues are more important 4 8.51%
I lean left politically and think fiscal issues are more important 8 17.02%
I lean right politically and think social issues are more important 6 12.77%
I lean right politically and think fiscal issues are more important 29 61.70%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 08:14 PM

7,074 posts, read 8,933,696 times

Advertisements

I am more libertarian but prefer republicans to democrats, I think the GOP needs to focus on the fiscal well being of the country but nothing turns me off faster than a lecture on the evils of abortion, also gays and pot smokers don't bother me either, not a concern of the government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 10:37 PM

858 posts, read 707,336 times
I tend to vote Democrat but I do agree sometimes with Republicans on the fiscal issues. It's a shame when they open their mouths on abortion and gay rights...and guns. I think they would do sooo much butter in the general election if they stuck to a fiscal platform and stayed away from the social parts completely. Just say that the Supreme Court has ruled on Gay Marriage and Roe v Wade so the debate has been settled. Unfortunately the Republican part is so backwards that a candidate like that wouldn't even last past the primaries. And yes, social and fiscal issues are intertwined however you can sell me a budget where Planned Parenthood funding was decreased by a percentage in order to fund something else however dropping it to 0 doesn't do anyone any good.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:44 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,717,462 times
im shocked that in such an articulate, well-informed political forum such as this, 83% of respondents thus far would "lean right"

Old 01-05-2016, 09:19 AM

5,381 posts, read 2,838,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
How do you separate social from fiscal issues? Aren't they interrelated in too many ways?

Social welfare spending? Incarceration? It's naive to dichotomize the two.

In my understanding, social issues are more related to SSM, Abortion, etc.

Fiscal issues are related to the budget, the debt, government spending, etc. Welfare spending falls under fiscal issues.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:01 AM

260 posts, read 239,217 times
Libertarian-leaning republican here. But I agree with those who say social issues are too closely linked to fiscal to separate the two. I think we are in a fiscal mess and the ideal candidate will be focused on sorting it out. The first step being to stop giving money and foreign aid to countries that burn our flag. That being said, as much as I care about fiscal issues, I wouldn't vote for someone socially liberal, no matter how fiscally conservative they were. So I'd have to give it to social issues.

The issues that are most important to me however are the right to self-defense, the death penalty (keeping it) and combating terrorism.

I also want a president that will confront the biggest social issue of our time. Political correctness. The one we have now does everything he can to push HIS agenda and impose his will instead of what the people want. The emperor of America.

Remember when 3 Muslims were shot in North Carolina over a parking spot? "We've got a racism problem"

Guy brings a rifle to a college in Oregon and targets people based on their Christian faith: "we've got a gun problem".

PC at its finest. If you're white, heterosexual, and Christian, you can go f*ck yourself and everyone else is a victim

Old 01-05-2016, 10:56 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,980,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
I am more libertarian but prefer republicans to democrats, I think the GOP needs to focus on the fiscal well being of the country but nothing turns me off faster than a lecture on the evils of abortion, also gays and pot smokers don't bother me either, not a concern of the government.

Man, are you inside my head? This is exactly how I feel! Then again you are a fellow Buckeye.

Old 01-05-2016, 11:47 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,396,974 times
I lean right politically although I'm tired of how much the right wants to restrict freedom in the name of security. I'm also tired of how much the left wants to restrict freedom in the name of political correctness. I'm just tired of both sides thinking that bigger government is always the answer for everything.

Left wingers want to increase spending on all sorts of things and raise taxes on the rich to pay for it. Anyone with a brain knows that the "rich" alone can't possibly support all of their spending plans so it will simply result in a tax increase for everyone.

Right wingers say that they want to decrease spending and decrease taxes, but tend to do the opposite when in power. Except instead of spending on bloated construction projects and handouts, they spend on "security" and the military.

So I'm not sure where that leaves me. I definitely want lower taxes and less spending (and less WASTE!), but I don't see anybody who can actually get it done. There is no mainstream "efficiency party" that doesn't give a hoot either way about abortion, same sex marriage, or gay rights, that actually stands a chance of winning an election.

Old 01-05-2016, 11:54 AM

5,513 posts, read 5,238,196 times
Government shouldn't be involved in social issues for the most part--if they would minimize spending and defend the borders, we'd be far better off.

Old 01-06-2016, 05:49 AM

3,550 posts, read 2,555,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
im shocked that in such an articulate, well-informed political forum such as this, 83% of respondents thus far would "lean right"
in general I see this sight as way more left wing then the country at large and would label at least 60% of the posters lean left

so I think it's a combination of this
liberals are afraid to answer this question, and some liberals are lying (to themselves?) when they call themselves rightwing

Old 01-06-2016, 11:02 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,717,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
in general I see this sight as way more left wing then the country at large and would label at least 60% of the posters lean left
I think that is wildly inaccurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies