Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2016, 09:44 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,845,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Really?

I thought the lesson to be learned from Sandy Hook was that gun free zones massively increase the number of casualties a shooter can inflict before someone else shows up with a fire arm to stop them.

In fact, that`s pretty much the lesson to be taken away from every mass shooting where the unarmed who obey the law are mowed down by the armed who don`t obey the law.

Gun laws don`t work.
So, little 5 and 6 year olds should be armed to protect themselves?

The mentally deranged young man killed innocents; his parents had a tremendous amount of blame in that massacre. The parents knew their son had mental problems. The mother enabled her kid. It cost her life and so many young lives and their teachers.

Obama has always been my least favorite president. Yesterday, he went way up in stature, in my book.

Common sense laws will help. Also, if some people would quit acting like guns are toys and accumulate as many guns, as they can and quit throwing tantrums every time this subject comes up. Can we just be responsible? Too many closed minds, not listening, not caring about human life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 09:47 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,110,332 times
Until the NRA takes a stand against legally selling assault weapons, I don't want to hear about how they try to protect our rights. Their views border on the extreme, and that is not good.

Old 01-06-2016, 09:54 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,433,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Is the agenda of the NRA rooted in patriotism, to protect our right to bear arms, or is it profits, gun sales?

I often wonder why all that money is necessary to lobby Congress against gun control measures if we as a country feel so strongly about unrestricted gun sales. The gun control debate includes a host of complicated issues, but one thing for sure, the gun makers have a lot of money at stake when it comes to restricting the sale of their products.

Bonus question: do more guns sold mean more or less incidents of gun violence?
Follow the money. The NRA money annually comes - almost entirely - from the gun industry.
This Is How The Gun Industry Funds The NRA - Business Insider

The marketing of the gun industry, via the NRA, is to pretend patriotism yet stop any legislation that slows down weapon sales. The NRA doesn't care if a gun is sold to a bad guy or a good guy - as long as it is sold.

Its ironic that people think of the NRA as a good guy. Its a bit like loving Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America group (PRMA). Go PRMA, protecting us and our health!

Old 01-06-2016, 09:59 AM

20,457 posts, read 12,375,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post
So, little 5 and 6 year olds should be armed to protect themselves?
THis is quite possibly the most asinine comment I have ever seen on a message board. And that is really really really saying something.

Old 01-06-2016, 09:59 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,433,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Really?

I thought the lesson to be learned from Sandy Hook was that gun free zones massively increase the number of casualties a shooter can inflict before someone else shows up with a fire arm to stop them.
Columbine had armed security guards, and how many died?

Adam Lanza mental state and purchase history were far more likely to alert authorities to problem - than guarding every kindergarden in america

Old 01-06-2016, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Follow the money. The NRA money annually comes - almost entirely - from the gun industry.
This Is How The Gun Industry Funds The NRA - Business Insider

The marketing of the gun industry, via the NRA, is to pretend patriotism yet stop any legislation that slows down weapon sales. The NRA doesn't care if a gun is sold to a bad guy or a good guy - as long as it is sold.

Its ironic that people think of the NRA as a good guy. Its a bit like loving Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America group (PRMA). Go PRMA, protecting us and our health!

Ironic?

well here is my deal. I look at what folk do more than what folk say.

What I know about the NRA and their "do" is they fight Prog-Agressive attempts to take guns from honest law abiding citizens.

there is nothing ironic about supporting people who do what I believe is important.

Old 01-06-2016, 10:17 AM

Quote:

Adam Lanza mental state and purchase history were far more likely to alert authorities to problem - than guarding every kindergarden in america
actually Lansz's mother was trying to get the courts to help her deal with her crazy son.

the law stands decidedly on the side of the crazy person. Evidently the same people who want to take guns away from non-crazy law abiding citizens also believe it is vastly more important to defend the "constitutional" rights of the crazy person.

It would be very easy to do some very few things to make it possible for the medical profession, Law Enforcement and families to insure crazy people with violent mental illness are prevented from having access to innocent people..

Old 01-06-2016, 11:08 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,366,979 times
Quote:

"When Gardner called for additional units to respond to the south parking lot of Columbine High School, he had just exchanged gunfire with Eric Harris. Gardner could also hear gunshots coming from inside the building but he did not know who else was shooting, how many were in the school or where.
While he was on the radio calling for assistance, five other Jefferson County deputies already were on their way, arriving only minutes after the first report of a “female down” at Columbine High School.
As the first deputies arrived on campus, they were met by chaos and hysteria. Terrified students and teachers were fleeing in all directions from the high school in the suburban neighborhood. Others were still inside.
The deputies could hear explosions coming from inside the school. The students were telling them about bombs, guns and hand-grenades, and about gunmen with assault rifles and semi-automatics.
There were other reports of possible terrorists, four shooters, six shooters, 17 hostages. There was a man wearing a trench coat; there were two guys in trench coats. There was a guy in a white T-shirt, with hats, not with hats. The gunmen had changed clothes to blend in with the other students. There was a shooter on the roof. The gunmen were in the auditorium. No, they were in the cafeteria.
The deputies had no concrete information about what was actually happening inside the building. They were facing live fire and had potentially 2,000 victims and hostages."

DEPUTIES_TEXT

The problem is that no one inside the school had a fire arm.

Harsh language only gets you so far, then you need a gun.

Old 01-06-2016, 12:44 PM

79,914 posts, read 44,174,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
until the nra takes a stand against legally selling assault weapons, i don't want to hear about how they try to protect our rights. Their views border on the extreme, and that is not good.
lol

Old 01-06-2016, 12:47 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,019,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
Until the NRA takes a stand against legally selling assault weapons, I don't want to hear about how they try to protect our rights. Their views border on the extreme, and that is not good.
Define "assault weapon".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies