Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2016, 08:19 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,197,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Help me with some answers....

These guys have been in there niow for a couple of weeks. I don't know exactly what they want, or hope to accomplish, but their "occupation" is generally perceived to be illegal.

So, why do they come and go at will? Why is food allowed in? Why are the utilities still on? Why have communications not been shut off?

I guess I am asking, they took over the place, why are we allowing them to come and go at will, and tend to their "needs"? Why not just surround the place from a distance, let them die of starvation, or cold, or illness, or from argument?

I guess I don't understand the approach to dealing with the terrorists. Is there any sort of "plan" to get them arrested and in jail awaiting trial?
IMO, the feds are refusing to play into these cretins' hands by making them martyrs. That's what they want, attention for themselves and their "cause". Letting these cretins make plenty of enemies among the locals while making this into a non-news story nationally works much better for the feds than giving the nutjob Righties more ammo for their rants.

Boredom -- or lack of beer or pot money -- will scatter most of the occupiers eventually, and the feds will just collect them and charge them with trespassing, criminal mischief, theft, etc.. and local juries and judges will practically guarantee these guys will get maximum sentences.

Old 01-24-2016, 08:24 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,257,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Help me with some answers....

These guys have been in there niow for a couple of weeks. I don't know exactly what they want, or hope to accomplish, but their "occupation" is generally perceived to be illegal.

So, why do they come and go at will? Why is food allowed in? Why are the utilities still on? Why have communications not been shut off?

I guess I am asking, they took over the place, why are we allowing them to come and go at will, and tend to their "needs"? Why not just surround the place from a distance, let them die of starvation, or cold, or illness, or from argument?

I guess I don't understand the approach to dealing with the terrorists. Is there any sort of "plan" to get them arrested and in jail awaiting trial?
Totally agree. Cut off the wi-fi and electricity so they cannot charge their cell phones.

Old 01-24-2016, 08:29 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,197,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Buddy's are welfare Cowboys....
^^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
What a wonderful contribution to the thread. Thank you for taking the time out of your undoubtedly busy life to make such a well thought out, and informative post.
Actually, Tominftl's post is pretty accurate, which is more than could be said for your previous rant on this thread which was filled with outright untruths about the situation as other posters noted.

None of these guys are actual ranchers. If they were, they'd be home taking care of the livestock. The one guy who claimed his "occupation" was "cowboy" was living off the money he made taking in foster kids.

None of them have jobs, either. If they did, they'd be working at them. Who just walks away from his/her job for an unspecified time?

It does seem like many, if not most, of those who show up in the media do have criminal records, though.

Old 01-24-2016, 08:43 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
IMO, the feds are refusing to play into these cretins' hands by making them martyrs. That's what they want, attention for themselves and their "cause". Letting these cretins make plenty of enemies among the locals while making this into a non-news story nationally works much better for the feds than giving the nutjob Righties more ammo for their rants.

Boredom -- or lack of beer or pot money -- will scatter most of the occupiers eventually, and the feds will just collect them and charge them with trespassing, criminal mischief, theft, etc.. and local juries and judges will practically guarantee these guys will get maximum sentences.
Pretty much. The feds, like everyone else, remember Waco and Ruby Ridge all too well. Not making that mistake again. Let them wear out their welcome, and make sure the local community as a whole is asking for intervention. The longer it goes on, the more ineffectual and pointless this "militia" looks. Picking them up around the edges is the way to go.

Old 01-24-2016, 08:55 AM

12,390 posts, read 7,095,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
^^^

Actually, Tominftl's post is pretty accurate, which is more than could be said for your previous rant on this thread which was filled with outright untruths about the situation as other posters noted.

None of these guys are actual ranchers. If they were, they'd be home taking care of the livestock. The one guy who claimed his "occupation" was "cowboy" was living off the money he made taking in foster kids.

None of them have jobs, either. If they did, they'd be working at them. Who just walks away from his/her job for an unspecified time?

It does seem like many, if not most, of those who show up in the media do have criminal records, though.
Maybe you can help me out, what post are you talking about that was filled with untruths?

I've never defended the occupation of the building on federal land, and I believe they should come out and end this.

With that said, I think there are some legitimate grievances here. There is a fair amount of support for the underlining cause. In fact there is a member of congress (a Representative in Oregon where the standoff is taking place) that also supports the underlining cause (but not the occupation).

Old 01-24-2016, 09:51 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,922,871 times
Quote:
Maybe you can help me out, what post are you talking about that was filled with untruths?

I've never defended the occupation of the building on federal land, and I believe they should come out and end this.

With that said, I think there are some legitimate grievances here. There is a fair amount of support for the underlining cause. In fact there is a member of congress (a Representative in Oregon where the standoff is taking place) that also supports the underlining cause (but not the occupation).
What are the legitimate grievances here? What is the underlying cause?

Old 01-24-2016, 10:01 AM

46,949 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Pretty much. The feds, like everyone else, remember Waco and Ruby Ridge all too well. Not making that mistake again. Let them wear out their welcome, and make sure the local community as a whole is asking for intervention. The longer it goes on, the more ineffectual and pointless this "militia" looks. Picking them up around the edges is the way to go.
Pretty harsh deal for the locals, though.

Old 01-24-2016, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
What are the legitimate grievances here? What is the underlying cause?
It's already been discussed in this thread, and many places on the net if you are genuinely interested.

As far as more ammo being added, there was recently a video that showed federal land acquisition personal laughing about how they took a $40 million mine from two elderly WWII veterans for only $2 million. They change the regulations that in turn shuts down the operation, and plummets the value of the land, then come in a buy the land for pennies on the dollars. The same thing is being done to the ranchers, and many other land owners.

Old 01-24-2016, 10:20 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,922,871 times
Quote:
It's already been discussed in this thread, and many places on the net if you are genuinely interested.

As far as more ammo being added, there was recently a video that showed federal land acquisition personal laughing about how they took a $40 million mine from two elderly WWII veterans for only $2 million. They change the regulations that in turn shuts down the operation, and plummets the value of the land, then come in a buy the land for pennies on the dollars. The same thing is being done to the ranchers, and many other land owners.
The reason why I'm asking is because the stories keep changing, including here in this thread. & very often there is no evidence to back up the assertions, including here in this thread.

Old 01-24-2016, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
The reason why I'm asking is because the stories keep changing, including here in this thread. & very often there is no evidence to back up the assertions, including here in this thread.
I don't doubt it can be hard to weed through all the misinformation out there. Truth be told, it's hard to say what the truth really is in this situation. There are a lot of allegations being made, it seems maybe it's time for the public to take a closer look into this matter.

However, there are states fighting the federal government over control of public land, and a Representative in Oregon that believes that there is something to the grievances. This Representative created legislation that formed a cooperative that guaranteed the people, including ranchers access to public lands. Of course the BLM refused to comply with the legislation, and had to be taken to court over the matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies