Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2016, 10:40 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,048,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Not at all true, most who have insurance as a result of ACA had insurance previously, it just moved people from the private sector onto welfare. And because now these people are being paid for by the taxpayer, this increased the cost on everyone who had insurance, thus making it even less affordable, which is why people are now choosing higher deductible policies, meaning they now have "junk", less beneficial policies at higher cost..

You cant insure ten million people without passing the cost onto others, believing you can is whats logically impossible..
I'd personally be more than willing to pay a bit more if it meant a lot of other people see their own quality of life improve. Why? Because I am not a total douche who only cares about himself. Have you ever sat back and wondered just what your position says about you? Granted, I haven't known many conservatives to be that introspective, but there's hope.

Old 01-07-2016, 10:43 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
I'd personally be more than willing to pay a bit more if it meant a lot of other people see their own quality of life improve. Why? Because I am not a total douche who only cares about himself. Have you ever sat back and wondered just what your position says about you? Granted, I haven't known many conservatives to be that introspective, but there's hope.
Whats your address so I can mail you a bill then to pay "a bit more".. I'm sure I can find someone who's seen their deductible quadruple from say $500 to $2500, would be happy to hear you are going to pay the $2K difference for them...

I'll wait..

Old 01-07-2016, 10:43 AM

Quote:
We have a very good quality of life, something the left is trying to destroy. We have safety nets, and ways of helping people, that doesnt mean everything you do needs to be government paid for.

Creating a society where so many live in poverty, crime out the a$$, which is what welfare etc crates, is neither empathy, nor compassion. Try to explain it is to families whose children die by gun crossfire in housing projects, let me know what their response is.
YOU personally may have a good quality of life, but that hardly applies to all, and believing this lie that everyone always has the exact same opportunities, abilities and financials is astronomically ludicrous. And those safety nets you're referring to are constantly under attack by Republicans, so you have some amazing gall to be bringing them up as a defense to dismantle a health care bill. Shame on you.

Old 01-07-2016, 10:44 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
YOU personally may have a good quality of life, but that hardly applies to all, and believing this lie that everyone always has the exact same opportunities, abilities and financials is astronomically ludicrous. And those safety nets you're referring to are constantly under attack by Republicans, so you have some amazing gall to be bringing them up as a defense to dismantle a health care bill. Shame on you.
Oh please, I was homeless 15 years ago, how about you?

Old 01-07-2016, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Whats your address so I can mail you a bill then to pay "a bit more".. I'm sure I can find someone who's seen their deductible quadruple from say $500 to $2500, would be happy to hear you are going to pay the $2K difference for them...

I'll wait..
I'm actually already doing it... just not in the US. Mexico has UHC. It's awesome. Some of the taxes are higher, but health care is crazy cheap for essentially the same services. It's a shame that a country with so many problems with corruption and poverty can still manage to do something right the US can't seem to grasp. Then again, it doesn't have a Republican Party.

Old 01-07-2016, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Oh please, I was homeless 15 years ago, how about you?
Nope, never been homeless, but nor do I believe you ever have been. An experience like that would be pretty perspective altering, and you show zero compassion or empathy for those less fortunate than you. So either you learned nothing or it didn't happen. I'm leaning toward the latter.

Old 01-07-2016, 10:50 AM

88,966 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
So you want to be like every 3rd world nation that couldn't give two sh*ts about the quality of life of its citizens?
How about if instead we be like every other 1st world nation and tax REGRESSIVELY to PAY for that quality of life? That means a 20-25% VAT tax that EVERYONE pays PLUS applying the highest marginal income tax rates to the middle class.

Rean and learn:

Other countries don’t have a “47%” - The Washington Post

https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/cho..._Labels_.0.jpg

How Sweden and other Scandinavian and European countries fight inequality - regressive rather than progressive taxes

Pay close attention to the charts.

And looking closer at how those countries tax income, Scandinavian countries apply their top marginal income tax rate to the middle class, while the U.S. top marginal tax rate only applies to the top 1%:

http://taxfoundation.org/sites/taxfoundation.org/files/docs/Progressivity%20of%20Scandanavian%20and%20US%20Inc ome%20Taxes.png

Want national healthcare? Step up to the plate and PAY for it. Deal?

Old 01-07-2016, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
How about if instead we be like every other 1st world nation and tax REGRESSIVELY to PAY for that quality of life? That means a 20-25% VAT tax that EVERYONE pays PLUS applying the highest marginal income tax rates to the middle class.

Rean and learn:

Other countries don’t have a “47%” - The Washington Post

https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/cho..._Labels_.0.jpg

How Sweden and other Scandinavian and European countries fight inequality - regressive rather than progressive taxes

Pay close attention to the charts.

And looking closer at how those countries tax income, Scandinavian countries apply their top marginal income tax rate to the middle class, while the U.S. top marginal tax rate only applies to the top 1%:

http://taxfoundation.org/sites/taxfoundation.org/files/docs/Progressivity%20of%20Scandanavian%20and%20US%20Inc ome%20Taxes.png

Want national healthcare? Step up to the plate and PAY for it. Deal?
Ironic considering so many of those countries actually have a higher quality of life than the US does. US citizens have such a fundamental problem considering the welfare of others that I really don't expect that to ever happen there.

Old 01-07-2016, 10:52 AM

1,976 posts, read 2,351,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Isn't this the truth. The GOP is unsurpassed in wasting time and money on useless votes and endless investigations. If they exerted even a fraction of that amount of energy on something productive they could actually accomplish something.

Is the ACA perfect? Far from it. Will the GOP do anything to fix it, or even simply propose some alternatives? Not a chance. They don't know how to govern. They only know how to waste their time and our money.

I've yet to see a GOP alternative plan, let alone one that will ensure coverage for every American.

I wonder if the changing demographics in the country will mean it will move to single-payer eventually? Given that other ethnic groups than Angry White Guys have a positive view towards government. As a Caucasian I don't want to be a minority but this could be a positive development from this trend.

Old 01-07-2016, 10:53 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,949,402 times
Quote:
Ironic considering so many of those countries actually have a higher quality of life than the US does. US citizens have such a fundamental problem considering the welfare of others that I really don't expect that to ever happen there.
Please move there, you'd be much happier and so would the rest of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies