Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2016, 02:13 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I'm with you there.

Lots of americans do things that are legal but that I don't like for moral reasons. So what?

Same here. And if I feel that strongly about it, then I won't associate with them! That's the beauty of this country, is that we have freedom of association!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 02:14 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,291,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
I honestly don't understand why the government has to get into the marriage business anyway, and furthermore I don't understand what business it is as to what 2 consenting adults do in their bedrooms, who they marry (remember keyword being consenting) and what they call it. Nor do I understand how it effects their personal lives?
For the same reason the Government gets involved in anything. $$.

Marriage at the end of the day is all about contract law. Nothing more, nothing less. Who gets what, who is entitled to what, and what happens to the stuff when someone dies.

Old 01-06-2016, 02:15 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
I honestly don't understand why the government has to get into the marriage business anyway, and furthermore I don't understand what business it is as to what 2 consenting adults do in their bedrooms, who they marry (remember keyword being consenting) and what they call it. Nor do I understand how it effects their personal lives?
Agreed, the government should be out of the marriage business 100%.

I could care less if two men or two women want to make a commitment to each other. Generally speaking, since that would tend to have a number of benefits to society, I actually support it.

If I have a male friend or family member who is happy being with another male (yes, sticking with consenting adults), I want them to be happy. What do I care what acts they do in the bedroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Marriage at the end of the day is all about contract law. Nothing more, nothing less. Who gets what, who is entitled to what, and what happens to the stuff when someone dies.
And billions are spent each year on lawyers disputing practically every aspect of that contract law because it's so poorly defined. In our modern times, people should be drawing up actual contracts so they have to go through everything and actually understand with what they are agreeing.

Old 01-06-2016, 02:16 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Yep, lots of things are legal that I don't particularly care for, but that doesn't mean they should be illegal.

I think it's a bad idea to smoke pot, but I believe it should be legalized. It's my CHOICE to not smoke it if I don't want to, and just because I choose not to doesn't mean I should force others to stop.
I'm not gay, I voted for gay marriage. I've never smoked pot, I voted to legalize marijuana. I drink very little but alcohol is legal. We aren't all the same but I have no interest in telling others how to live their life. Alabama can be as backward as they want but I don't see a lot of big growth, modern companies choosing to move there.

I just looked at the 2010 to 2015 Census numbers and compared domestic migration for Alabama vs. Washinton State. Washington is way off in the corner so you really have to make the effort to move there. In five years, Alabama gained 2,000 people while Washington gained 124,000 people. That's just domestic so state to state. My point is not "our state is better than your state". My point is political environments can impact growth positively or negatively.

State Totals: Vintage 2015 - U.S Census Bureau

Old 01-06-2016, 02:16 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,554,547 times
Quote:
The people of California didn't want them gays getting hitched. They voted to forbid it. Government forced them into the modern world.

Sorry, if that destroys your "those dang rednecks in the south aren't as modern and progressive as the rest of us" routine.
your analogy is still irrelevant. CA did not defy any federal laws. Alabama has, more than once.

how sad and pathetic that so many people are against other people's general happiness and actually care what 2 consenting adults do behind closed doors. As if that could EVER impact their lives. THAT is disgusting.

Old 01-06-2016, 02:19 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,209,362 times
Quote:
The people of California didn't want them gays getting hitched. They voted to forbid it. Government forced them into the modern world.

Sorry, if that destroys your "those dang rednecks in the south aren't as modern and progressive as the rest of us" routine.
Orange county anyone?

Old 01-06-2016, 02:21 PM

Quote:

And billions are spent each year on lawyers disputing practically every aspect of that contract law because it's so poorly defined. In our modern times, people should be drawing up actual contracts so they have to go through everything and actually understand with what they are agreeing.
I could not agree more. But what about looooooovvvvveee?

Old 01-06-2016, 02:23 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Quote:

Actually California was the victim of a very badly worded bill and money poured in by Mormons. Mormons contributed as much as 40% of the funding.

Old 01-06-2016, 02:23 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I'm not gay, I voted for gay marriage. I've never smoked pot, I voted to legalize marijuana. I drink very little but alcohol is legal. We aren't all the same but I have no interest in telling others how to live their life. Alabama can be as backward as they want but I don't see a lot of big growth, modern companies choosing to move there.

I just looked at the 2010 to 2015 Census numbers and compared domestic migration for Alabama vs. Washinton State. Washington is way off in the corner so you really have to make the effort to move there. In five years, Alabama gained 2,000 people while Washington gained 124,000 people. That's just domestic so state to state. My point is not "our state is better than your state". My point is political environments can impact growth positively or negatively.

State Totals: Vintage 2015 - U.S Census Bureau
Eh - or economic opportunities. Texas won in the domestic growth for whole numbers out of all the states. I wouldn't call Texas a progressive political environment ever. The South is leading in migration right now too - generally not a location known for progressive politics. So while Alabama itself is very low in incoming domestic migration and Washington is high, I wouldn't necessarily put it down to the political environment of each area.

Old 01-06-2016, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rleroy View Post
I'll ask again because apparently nobody can answer me.

Why are you against (Gay) Marriage*?

*it's actually just called marriage now
His boyfriend is now pushing for a commitment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies