Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 09:01 PM

274 posts, read 296,344 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to keep politics out of this, but Iv noticed how people's beliefs have really changed over the decades. Part of it is that I live in NY. But, it seems like a lot of people don't hold old, traditional values that this country was founded on.

*Limited government (people seem to want government involved in everything)
*Individual responsibility (everything is always everyone else's fault)
*Equality through hardworking, not hand-outs
*Holding politicians responsible (many people vote in Presidential elections ONLY)
*Personal liberty and privacy (everyone gossips about other peoples personal lives)

It seems like RIGHT, has become WRONG and WRONG has become RIGHT.

I understand people have different political beliefs, I try to be objective, but traditional American values should be embraced by everyone. I just don't understand. I wonder what the USA will be like in 50 years. I feel like things have changed, but not for the better. Economically speaking, many people already pay 35-50% in taxes. Taxes only rise it seems, what will it be in 40 years? 60%? You cannot pay out $2 for programs when you are only taking in $1 in taxes forever.

What's he difference from having career politicians and a royalty class? The same people stay in politics forever it seems. It's like their own privileged class. Why do we allow this? Where is the outrage? Does anyone have any courage anymore?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 09:08 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,503,614 times
Leeches love welfare.

Old 01-06-2016, 09:10 PM

25,024 posts, read 27,820,202 times
Social Darwinism is a waste. I'm happy it's on the decline again, slightly anyway, after it's been hoisted upon us for 30 odd years

Old 01-06-2016, 09:11 PM

274 posts, read 296,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Leeches love welfare.
Right, but I am not just attacking them. Just attitudes in general seem like they are very...unAmerican these days. I think it is important to hold these traditional values, otherwise, we will just come like every other western country.

Old 01-06-2016, 09:13 PM

25,024 posts, read 27,820,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xTiberiusx View Post
Right, but I am not just attacking them. Just attitudes in general seem like they are very...unAmerican these days. I think it is important to hold these traditional values, otherwise, we will just come like every other western country.
How is that a bad thing? It's stupid this knee-jerk reflex a lot of Americans have that we HAVE to be different from everyone else. Who cares? Hint: Nobody thinks about the US, or Americans, in their day-to-day living.

Old 01-06-2016, 09:21 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,253,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
How is that a bad thing? It's stupid this knee-jerk reflex a lot of Americans have that we HAVE to be different from everyone else. Who cares? Hint: Nobody thinks about the US, or Americans, in their day-to-day living.
When we were more self reliant with far less government we were more superior as a people, that is why. Most paid their own bills, worked themselves through trade school or college.
People used to have a sense of humility and shame which has been replaced with big egos and a sense of entitlement.

Old 01-06-2016, 09:29 PM

552 posts, read 311,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Hint: Nobody thinks about the US, or Americans, in their day-to-day living.
It is obvious that Obama is part of this cohort. Hillary will be the same.

Old 01-06-2016, 09:31 PM

552 posts, read 311,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
When we were more self reliant with far less government we were more superior as a people, that is why. Most paid their own bills, worked themselves through trade school or college.
People used to have a sense of humility and shame which has been replaced with big egos and a sense of entitlement.
Only white males are supposed to be humble and feel ashamed for things that they never did.

Old 01-06-2016, 09:37 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,166,159 times
Quote:
I'm trying to keep politics out of this, but Iv noticed how people's beliefs have really changed over the decades. Part of it is that I live in NY. But, it seems like a lot of people don't hold old, traditional values that this country was founded on.
Yes it has been many moons and quite a few decades since the country was founded, Grasshopper, like maybe 24. You could be pretty safe assuming that beliefs would change over that many decades. Education works wonders on a population. This change is a good thing--don't be scared. People know more about their universe. It is called evolution (call it creative design if it makes you feel safer).

Quote:
*Limited government (people seem to want government involved in everything)
*Individual responsibility (everything is always everyone else's fault)
*Equality through hardworking, not hand-outs
*Holding politicians responsible (many people vote in Presidential elections ONLY)
*Personal liberty and privacy (everyone gossips about other peoples personal lives)
Yeah well--people have been saying this for a couple of hundred years.

Quote:
It seems like RIGHT, has become WRONG and WRONG has become RIGHT.
Haven't a clue what that means. The unfortunate placement of commas may have added to the confusion.

Quote:
I understand people have different political beliefs, I try to be objective, but traditional American values should be embraced by everyone. I just don't understand. I wonder what the USA will be like in 50 years. I feel like things have changed, but not for the better. Economically speaking, many people already pay 35-50% in taxes. Taxes only rise it seems, what will it be in 40 years? 60%? You cannot pay out $2 for programs when you are only taking in $1 in taxes forever.
S'cuse me, but what? That is in no way an objective sentence. Traditional American values should be embraced by everyone why? What are those? Please be explicit. And you seriously believe you should tell people what to think and "embrace"? Kind of got a control freak thing going on or what?

Quote:
What's he difference from having career politicians and a royalty class? The same people stay in politics forever it seems. It's like their own privileged class. Why do we allow this? Where is the outrage? Does anyone have any courage anymore?
Maybe most people are just going about their lives -- you know to work, spending time with their family or friends, getting on with it? Things are pretty good--outraged about what? The only think I find outrageous is having to listen to many of the idiots running for office if I watch the news. And their supporters are worse.

Old 01-06-2016, 09:39 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,128,765 times
Quote:
"Leave it to Beaver" was not a documentary. The country is moving on with the times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies