Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 08:17 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
The NRA is not against OPTIONAL safety devices.

The NRA is against the Government making them MANDATORY FOR ALL GUNS.
Exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2016, 08:18 AM

20,459 posts, read 12,381,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahboy79 View Post
the fact is that the NRA doesn't want to help solve the problem. Just look at their fight against smart gun technology. Why would they even fight that? We know not everyone is going to by a smart gun that can only be fired by the owner, but SOME will. and if that helps prevent a child from accidentally shooting themselves or a person stealing a gun to commit a crime, how can they possibly ever be against that. again, they are cowards and just want to keep the status quo

... would you please provide some link to proof that the NRA is "fighting against smart gun technology"?

Old 01-08-2016, 08:22 AM

16,590 posts, read 8,605,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
It would have been nice for them to participate since I am told they want to see an end to gun violence,

No offense, but don't be so naïve.

Or have you forgotten what happened when the NRA made a public proposal to make schools safer from lunatics? They proposed a sensible solution of having armed personnel at schools, as the only way to stop a bad guy with a weapon, is with a good guy with one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHK22TkdKv4

Obama and the (D's) attacked the idea as foolish, out of touch, etc. They did that because it did not fit into their anti-2nd Amendment views. Instead they wanted to use the tragedy to promote their anti-gun agenda (remember, Obama & Co philosophy of "never let a crisis go to waste").

Yet, it wasn't too long before sensible people started to come around to the pragmatic thinking of putting the kids safety above partisan rhetoric. Now more and more schools are hiring and/or having qualified armed volunteers patrol the schools.

The NRA is a genuine grass roots civil rights organization funded primarily with membership dues. Their members obviously want to see gun violence stopped. However they know better than to think more gun laws will not stop the lunatics. The laws on the books now are not being enforced. Additionally, the liberal gun control proposals after Sandy Hook would not have stopped that lunatic.

`

Old 01-08-2016, 08:24 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,387,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
It would have been nice for them to participate since I am told they want to see an end to gun violence, but they did send a representative to be interview on Fox News by Megyn Kelly though.

"The National Rifle Association is declining to send official representatives to a nationally televised town hall on gun violence with President Obama.
The NRA's decision comes a day after President Obama presented a renewed push for further gun regulations, including executive action. CNN is moderating the town hall Thursday evening in Virginia. The NRA says it sees no reason to take part in what it calls "a public relations spectacle organized by the White House."

NRA declines to participate in Obama town hall on gun violence m - Fox 28: South Bend, Elkhart IN News, Weather, Sports

The NRA was in attendence. They are every American.

Old 01-08-2016, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Nobody is trying to take your gun rights away. Nothing personal, but why is that so difficult to understand? Nobody wants your guns. Keep them.

You will still be able to buy guns if you are not a terrorist, mentally ill or a criminal. Why would anyone in their right mind be against common sense?
Who gets to define "mentally ill"???? If I were ill, why would I risk losing my rights if I seek treatment for something minor and I am put on a list?

Old 01-08-2016, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unwillingphoenician View Post
Question for gun nuts:

You realize you're going to the mattresses over background checks, correct?

Gun "nut" = mental illness = getting put on a government list= losing your right to bear arms. See how that works?

Old 01-08-2016, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Apart from the suicide statistic (and IMO if someone is that terminally ill or that psychologically tortured that they wish to end their own life, that's a decision they should be able to make), the problem isn't angry White guys. It isn't even Hispanic gangs. It's very clearly a very small segment of Blacks living in crime-ridden inner city Black neighborhoods. The Newsweek article hits the nail on the head, complete with research citations.

They are just cleaning up the unwanted kids that Planned Parenthood missed.

Old 01-08-2016, 08:39 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
The NRA was in attendence. They are every American.
As an NRA LIFE MEMBER since the 1980's I can state that NO NOT EVERY AMERICAN is the NRA.

Old 01-08-2016, 08:43 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
As an NRA LIFE MEMBER since the 1980's I can state that NO NOT EVERY AMERICAN is the NRA.
I'm not. They compromise too much.
Gun Owners of America

Old 01-08-2016, 08:43 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahboy79 View Post
the fact is that the NRA doesn't want to help solve the problem. Just look at their fight against smart gun technology. Why would they even fight that? We know not everyone is going to by a smart gun that can only be fired by the owner, but SOME will. and if that helps prevent a child from accidentally shooting themselves or a person stealing a gun to commit a crime, how can they possibly ever be against that. again, they are cowards and just want to keep the status quo
So if I buy a gun and my wife or son needs to use it because I'm not around, they should not be able to fire the weapon ?
If I want to loan my shotgun to a friend to do a little trap shooting, he could not use ?

Why don't they use the same technology for autos to prevent theft? That way only you could drive your car.

Also, If someone can hack your computer or cable box, they can easily hack this software.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies