U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 04:05 PM

2,468 posts, read 1,598,116 times

Advertisements

Why indeed? It's just common sense!

NRA activist's surprising stance on Obama's action - CNN Video
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 05:27 PM

23,254 posts, read 12,792,742 times
Background checks are fine. They are necessary, though I doubt the Founders wanted the Federal government to have that authority, since it was the Federal government that could not infringe on the right to bear arms. To me that would be a State's right to conduct background checks

Old 01-09-2016, 05:31 PM

552 posts, read 245,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Background checks are fine. They are necessary, though I doubt the Founders wanted the Federal government to have that authority, since it was the Federal government that could not infringe on the right to bear arms. To me that would be a State's right to conduct background checks
That would hold water except that the Heller decision incorporated the 2nd Amendment against the states.

Old 01-09-2016, 05:34 PM

5,157 posts, read 2,609,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
The founders also didn't intend to end slavery. I don't understand the type of thinking that everything the founders intended must be eternal. Are you going to start making the argument that the founders never intended for the FAA to exist because there were no planes back then? Let's end all air travel because the founders never intended for the air to be filled with air planes.

Old 01-09-2016, 05:34 PM

23,254 posts, read 12,792,742 times
^^

I suggest you familiarize yourself with the 10th amendment

Quote:
Originally Posted by max340 View Post
That would hold water except that the Heller decision incorporated the 2nd Amendment against the states.
How so? A State can regulate, not eliminate the right to bear arms. I haven't read the entire opinion, but did SCOTUS write that the Federal government can specifically regulate? Or just that there can be regulations in general?

Old 01-09-2016, 05:40 PM

25,630 posts, read 30,453,311 times
Background checks are not the issue.

They never have been.

That's what the lying scum gungrabbers don't want the general public to understand.

It's what State and Federal governments do with that information once they have it.

If you could guarantee me that my background check would be erased within a nano second after I cleared I would not have as much of an issue.

If you could guarantee me that the information on the Form 4473 WOULD NEVER IN THE FUTURE BE IN THE HAND OF THE GOVERNMENT WITHOUT A SUPOENA then I wouldnt have as much of an issue.

Those and many others are my grievances with this whole ****ed up system.

I don't want you to know what I own nor if I sell it to someone else. It none of your ****ing business.

Stay out of my gun safe and I'll stay out of your Womb.

How bout that?

Old 01-09-2016, 05:58 PM

19,521 posts, read 20,913,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post

How bout that?
That's a bumper sticker with star power.

Old 01-09-2016, 06:08 PM

10,950 posts, read 5,072,989 times
Quote:
Background checks are not the issue.

They never have been.

That's what the lying scum gungrabbers don't want the general public to understand.

It's what State and Federal governments do with that information once they have it.

If you could guarantee me that my background check would be erased within a nano second after I cleared I would not have as much of an issue.

If you could guarantee me that the information on the Form 4473 WOULD NEVER IN THE FUTURE BE IN THE HAND OF THE GOVERNMENT WITHOUT A SUPOENA then I wouldnt have as much of an issue.

Those and many others are my grievances with this whole ****ed up system.

I don't want you to know what I own nor if I sell it to someone else. It none of your ****ing business.

How bout that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I think that bumper sticker could be a money maker.

Old 01-09-2016, 06:10 PM

25,630 posts, read 30,453,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
A better one.

Ban Abortions, buy a gun, save a kid.

Old 01-09-2016, 06:12 PM

19,521 posts, read 20,913,887 times
Quote:
A better one.

Ban Abortions, buy a gun, save a kid.
We may have unleashed a wild man here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies