Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2016, 04:05 AM

34,037 posts, read 17,056,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
It's a "personal responsibility" to relieve your wallet to a would-be mugger?

A mugger is not a true comparison. He does not offer the roads we drive on, national security, etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 04:32 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
As I do not have a substantial income I resent having to pay any income tax. I suggesting we replace our current IT with a tax based on these considerations.

All income from all sources

As corporations are considered the same as individuals their income is all retained profit. Dividends are considered operation expenses along with materials, energy and wages.

Set a deduction at the 90th percentile

The process would entail summing your income, deducting the 90th percentile value and paying the tax as listed on a progressively determined table. The rates will be determined by an exponential progression and set to pay for all government spending that are not capital improvements to the infrastructure. All military spending, because military forces and devices, should be considered expendable thus becoming an operating expense.

This would eliminate the complexities of the tax system that mostly protect industries, individuals, groups that have spent the money required to buy these special considerations from Congress. It would also place the burden of maintaining the country on the people and corporations that benefit most from the security and infrastructure that has been provided or built by the government.

Old 01-12-2016, 05:41 AM

1,254 posts, read 1,058,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
Why aren't more average Americans outraged at seeing 1/4-1/3 of their income disappear into a black hole? Why aren't more Americans outraged at the fact that they're required to fill out a document that can be used against them? Why aren't more Americans outraged at the fact that the IRS has been found to have political reasons for auditing certain individuals and organizations? Why aren't more Americans outraged that the IRS illegally siezes property? Why aren't more Americans outraged at the fact that the 16th Amendment is Unconstitutional? Why aren't more Americans outraged at the fact that they have to spend an entire day filling out this crap?
Let's see, I paid a total of $1,498 in taxes on my income. This is for social security, medicare and federal taxes. We do not have a state income tax in Nevada. For what I paid in taxes, I get a free cell phone and medicaid health insurance. Just my medication alone costs $110 a month. I am not outraged at all at what I have to pay in taxes and would say the amount is fair. It takes me less than 30 minutes, not an entire day to do the efile.

Old 01-12-2016, 05:45 AM

88,990 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Set a deduction at the 90th percentile

The process would entail summing your income, deducting the 90th percentile value and paying the tax as listed on a progressively determined table. The rates will be determined by an exponential progression and set to pay for all government spending that are not capital improvements to the infrastructure. All military spending, because military forces and devices, should be considered expendable thus becoming an operating expense.

This would eliminate the complexities of the tax system that mostly protect industries, individuals, groups that have spent the money required to buy these special considerations from Congress. It would also place the burden of maintaining the country on the people and corporations that benefit most from the security and infrastructure that has been provided or built by the government.
The top 5% already pays a higher share of the federal income tax than their share of the income. You can see the takers and the givers, here:

http://taxfoundation.org/sites/taxfo...cs/FF491_1.png

The only group being taxed fairly (share of taxes paid is equal to share of income) is the top 10-5%. Those with higher incomes are paying too much, and those with lower incomes are paying too little.

Old 01-12-2016, 06:23 AM

12,036 posts, read 6,567,177 times
OP --- people are outraged. And at more than the tax situation.
Why do you think Trump has gotten so far?
Conservatives aren't rabble rousers or anarchists like liberals. They don't riot and burn their towns down
when things don't go their way. Conservatives have at least two candidates that are offering serious tax reform.
I think Ted Cruz wants a flat tax which I am in favor of. But the media doesn't focus on giving us thorough info, instead focuses on how he talked about the bible in public.

I am most outraged at the extreme waste and incompetence seen with the use of our tax dollars.

Old 01-12-2016, 06:28 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,083,784 times
I promise not to complain about the taxes I will have to pay when I win the Powerball tomorrow night.

Old 01-12-2016, 06:28 AM

45,221 posts, read 26,431,296 times
There should be no tax on income.
We have a government problem, in that much of what it does should be done by the private sector and what functions its actually authorized to do, can be funded through the sale of its property holdings, user fees and voluntary donations.
Flat tax, fair tax, etc. schemes are just different ways of letting it fund whatever it wants to do and will do nothing to reduce the size of govt or the amount of money it takes from us.

Old 01-12-2016, 06:39 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Ok sounds good to me. At least a bigger chunk would go to my state instead of through the direct pipeline to DC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Out of curiosity, where do you believe the federal government gets "their" money?

Obviously, the amount of money states will have per capita will vary quite a bit causing many states to have funding issues; however, it would also allow states to invest more into the areas that may increase that states potential wealth.

The main point is that the feds get the money from the citizens of the states.
Congress controls the federal purse strings. Your people elect your Senators and Representatives to DC to control the Federal purse strings.

Again, the typical family of four with earnings in the exact middle of the income spectrum pay an effective federal tax rate of 5.3%. As we know, many states get more fed $ than remitted to the fed.

5.3%

Old 01-12-2016, 09:54 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,910,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Alrighty then.

No more handouts to the states. Let the states increase their taxes/fees to make up for the massive shortfalls while cutting services to the bone.

Next natural disaster, the state is on the hook, 100%.
And that's how it should be.

Old 01-12-2016, 10:03 AM

45,221 posts, read 26,431,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
A mugger is not a true comparison. He does not offer the roads we drive on, national security, etc
If a mugger takes some of your stolen loot and donates it to feed the homeless, he is still a mugger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies