Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2016, 05:28 PM

29,547 posts, read 9,713,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
I have never seen as much spinning, revision, selective narrative as you have been committing on an event that we've all witnessed in real time.

Yes it was a take over, the besiegers themselves said as much and to do so they called for their cohorts to bring their guns for the specific purpose of maintaining their hold on federal property. It was the likes Mr. Bundy and Mr. Finicum who expressed the willingness to use force to prevent their unlawful take over of federal property!
And speaking of spinning, revision and selective narrative (not that anyone need read or even agree with that "essay" I just posted), but I find it interesting how many people blame Obama for all that in the exact same sort of twisted way...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2016, 05:52 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,324,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I find it interesting how many people blame Obama for all that in the exact same sort of twisted way...
Well I just watched Rubio's repeated talking "meme" Obama is willfully turning American into everyplace else whatever that means because of instituting a national healthcare plane (that came from the Heritage Foundation) and which a series of Presidents have tried to enact for over 100 years. He also argued that by enacting an economic stimulus, something else hardly unprecedented that America is somehow being fundamentally changed, as if the United States has undergone fundamental social change over the last 200 years. The whole thing speaks to historical ignorance, callous demagogy, and the worst reactionary tendency of a segment of the American people.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:42 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Oh, you mean like Kim Davis? Or the Bundys?

no, more like the fbi, f-troop, lon horhiuchi, and a whole host of federal leo's.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:07 AM

57,264 posts, read 26,192,233 times
Maybe it's time to focus on these Violent Anti-Government groups again

"Daryl Johnson once worked in the branch of the Department of Homeland Security that studied the threats posed by antigovernment groups. His former office was shut down more than five years ago

"But when members of an armed group took over a federal wildlife refuge in Oregon last week, Mr. Johnson was not surprised.
In 2009, the former analyst wrote a report that warned of a growing antigovernment movement and the possible recruitment of returning military veterans that could “lead to the potential emergence of terrorist groups or lone-wolf extremists.”
His words drew fierce criticism from Republican lawmakers and conservative news media, labeling the report an unfair assessment of legitimate criticisms of the government. The document was retracted after Janet Napolitano, who was then the Homeland Security secretary, apologized to veterans, and the Extremism and Radicalization Branch was quietly dismantled."

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/09/us...says.html?_r=0

Old 02-09-2016, 09:20 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,061,247 times
What about the growth of anti militia Government?

Old 02-09-2016, 09:30 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Interesting article, thanks & respect for the link. Very unfortunate, & their delusions are NOT harmless:

"In that time, according to New America, a Washington think tank, Islamists launched nine attacks that murdered 45, while the right-wing extremists struck 18 times, leaving 48 dead. These Americans thrive on hate and conspiracy theories, many fed to them by politicians and commentators who blithely blather about government concentration camps and impending martial law and plans to seize guns and other dystopian gibberish, apparently unaware there are people listening who don’t know it’s all lies. These extremists turn to violence—against minorities, non-Christians, abortion providers, government officials—in what they believe is a fight to save America."

& that's not taking Timothy McVeigh, another anti-government extremist, into consideration. His murder spree killed 168 people with a truck bomb in 1995.
I think it is time as a nation we realize that it shouldn't be the why terrorist acts are being committed but rather the how and how to stop it. If those 18 acts by non-Muslim Americans don't show reason enough for the Patriot Act, I don't know what will. The need of the many are greater than the need of the one.

Old 02-09-2016, 09:53 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,738,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I think it is time as a nation we realize that it shouldn't be the why terrorist acts are being committed but rather the how and how to stop it. If those 18 acts by non-Muslim Americans don't show reason enough for the Patriot Act, I don't know what will. The need of the many are greater than the need of the one.
Benjamin Franklin once said: "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

This quote has been twisted in recent years by people using it for their viewpoint on the role of the fed police powers (both liberal and conservative)

I was originally for the patriot act but admit it was an emotional over-reaction. By 2002 I was firmly against. That being said, to me, the quote itself still stands the test of time... Especially outside 'our' politics.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:27 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
Benjamin Franklin once said: "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

This quote has been twisted in recent years by people using it for their viewpoint on the role of the fed police powers (both liberal and conservative)

I was originally for the patriot act but admit it was an emotional over-reaction. By 2002 I was firmly against. That being said, to me, the quote itself still stands the test of time... Especially outside 'our' politics.
I can argue for liberty there often isn't safety. Just look at violent acts on the name of liberty. Oklahoma City, Atlanta, 9/11, London, Paris, etc. Does violence in the name of liberty make it alright?

Old 02-09-2016, 10:33 AM

5,461 posts, read 3,234,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
These groups greatly expanded from 42 in 2008 to almost 300 today, black president, fear of losing guns, Tea Party and we have the perfect breeding ground.

"The armed takeover of a federal government building in Oregon comes amid a renewed expansion of the far-right, antigovernment militia movement in the wake of the 2014 standoff between federal agents and heavily armed antigovernment activists in the Nevada desert.

In its annual count of militias, released today, the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) identified 276 militia groups – up from 202 in 2014, a 37 percent increase."

https://www.splcenter.org/news/2016/...hird-last-year

They aren't anti-government. What they oppose (and with some justification) is the federal abuse of power. It may be with regard to land use, water rights, etc... the list is long and the federal government isn't accountable to anyone. You may not like their tactics but their underlying argument has more than a little merit.

Old 02-09-2016, 11:06 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
A false sense of security, so they the government can take control over something the never had the authority to control.
They have constantly taken power from the states and the people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies