Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2016, 08:57 PM

50,421 posts, read 23,999,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by max340 View Post
And all of that was the fault of Democrats.
The Republicans didn't change it. It took JFK and LBJ to change it.

Old 01-10-2016, 08:57 PM

170 posts, read 104,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
*rubs eyes*

Mao Zedong, is that you?
Not a communist. Just insulting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You're talking about what was, I'm talking about what is.
You can't change what our founding fathers meant....lord knows you leftists do try as hard as possible to do so but not going to work.Also no. We are not many races made into one nation. We are more divided now than EVER.

Old 01-10-2016, 08:58 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,770,939 times
Conservative Republicans long to return to the good ole' days of the 1950s. They think somehow social legislation and blue laws can turn back the clock. The cat is already out of the bag though and the 1950s aren't coming back, no matter how much conservatives wish they would.

Many places in the Bible Belt still have a lifestyle that's as close as you are going to get to the 1950s today. Strong emphasis is still placed on family values and conformity, but there's a lot more drug use, divorced people, and out-of-wedlock children than there was in the 1950s. You can't raise a family on one income today either like you could back then. A lot more obesity as well. Still, its as close as you are going to get. States like Oklahoma, Arkansas, Alabama, and Mississippi are your best bet. The major cities have moved into the pluralistic culture of the 21st century.

Every time period has its pluses and minuses, but for most Americans life is better today than it was in the 1950s. Popular media from back then focused on upper middle class white culture which if you were a part of, you were privileged.

Old 01-10-2016, 08:58 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,240,887 times
Quote:
In all fairness it was really LBJ. John F Kennedys ability to get legislation passed was dismal. It's doubtful it ever would have happened had he of not been assassinated.

Old 01-10-2016, 08:59 PM

31,934 posts, read 14,933,222 times
[quote=phetaroi;42586212]Many of what you list indicate a very superficial knowledge of the times. Guess you missed the back-room abortions with coat hangers.

More national unity. You mean like Joe McCarthy and his crew?

Women weren't having babies out of wedlock?[/QUOTE]

Of course they did. Many had back alley abortions or they were hidden away until they gave birth

Old 01-10-2016, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creator1483 View Post
Not a communist. Just insulting.

Maybe not, but the resemblance is uncanny in this situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creator1483 View Post
You can't change what our founding fathers meant....lord knows you leftists do try as hard as possible to do so but not going to work.Also no. We are not many races made into one nation. We are more divided now than EVER.
We are divided as we always were. The only difference is now you hear about it a lot more is all. This Country has always been two different cultures struggling to be one Nation.

Old 01-10-2016, 09:10 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,080,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
Do you ever wonder what it was like when we had common values, common religion, a real culture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gaq62VCcnew

I'll just leave that here. It's the best way to sum up my overall thoughts on this, as well as society in general.

I will say that I do not think it's impossible to have a culture without common values or religion. There just needs to be an amount of common ground. Primarily, accepting that other people exist outside of ourselves. A nice way of saying 'don't be a selfish piece of ****.' And that's what you are if you think other opinions are inherently bad. A selfish piece of ****. And if that offends you, I have good news for you: it's not terminal. You can stop being that and be open. No, it doesn't require you to vote for a different person. It just requires that you acknowledge your vote is what's best for you, not what's necessarily universally the best.

Diversity works best when we truly allow it to happen. One problem we're having is resistance. And not on one side either. There are people who sincerely believe that you need to be Christian to live here, and then there are those who think when they come here, we should amend our lifestyle to match there's. We cannot have either of these happening if we are to get along. If you come here and don't want to abandon your culture, that's fine. I accept that. If you live here and where your views with pride, that's fine. I accept that. But intelligent people recognize that other people exist.

A truly good culture knows this. As far as I'm concerned, we should all share just one core common value: be decent to one another. I don't care what god you pray to, what party you vote for, or what clothes you where. As long as your decent to others, why should I really have a problem with you. We may disagree; that's fine. I don't think the existence of disagreement is a problem. But as long as we both respect the other person as a person, recognize other opinions exist, and be merry about the common views we share, who gives a damn about if we disagree on tax reform or some random, overly politicized issue. Let's just agree to be decent.

Old 01-10-2016, 09:12 PM

552 posts, read 312,574 times
Quote:
The Civil Rights Act that eventually passed in 1964 was sponsored by a Republican. LBJ blocked it in Congress because he didn't want Republicans to get the credit. He is also the guy who said "We will have those n-words voting Democrat for the next 200 years".

Last edited by max340; 01-10-2016 at 09:57 PM..

Old 01-10-2016, 09:28 PM

27,534 posts, read 16,005,124 times
family is now a 4 letter word. sad

Old 01-10-2016, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max340 View Post
The Civil Rights Act that eventually passed in 1964 was sponsored by a Republican. LBJ blocked it in the House because he didn't want Republicans to get the credit. He is also the guy who said "We will have those n-words voting Democrat for the next 200 years".
Considering that fact that he wasn't President when it happened he had no power to block it. And considering the fact that LBJ publicly gave Bill McCulloch credit for being behind the bill this isn't even remotely true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies