Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 01:21 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,021,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
I think you are confused. The problem is inconsistent beliefs.

The Dartmouth Review » Eyes Wide Open at the Protest
Inconsistent beliefs are a problem everywhere.

Old 01-12-2016, 01:25 PM

34,620 posts, read 21,521,102 times
The students who were protesting aren't thugs, because they didn't participate in any thuggish behavior. They were PO'd and felt they weren't being taken seriously, so they decided to essentially protest. Nothing wrong with that. I won't comment on whether or not their cause was just or an attempt to feel relevant, because I just don't know enough about it.

---------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Yup...the entire school has been tainted by the stain of a few students behaving badly. Reputation matters, and Mizzou's reputation took a big hit. It'll be a while before it recovers what prestige it had.

FWIW, I am a UT-Austin alum. People still bring up Charles Whitman in conversations with me about UT, and that happened well before I was born. This August will make 50 years since he shot and killed 14 people in and from the UT tower.

Not saying that what went down at Mizzou last semester in any way approaches the notoriety of what Whitman did...I'm using it as an example of how a huge news-making event can still color someone's perceptions decades later.
I was just up there a few weeks ago checking out the bullet holes and such.

Back 20+ years ago, I helped install an antennae on the top of that tower. I was able to go up through the bell tower to the very tip-top. It was very cool at the time, because the observation deck was still closed to the public, so it made me feel special. lol

This last time, I went up to the Carillon room and into the clock works. Guess who made the clock works? (I'm going to locate a photo I took)

Old 01-12-2016, 05:43 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,729,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
They wouldn't have done that. The administration has been aware of racism on their campus for a long time and had plenty of opportunity to correct the situation. That is where the mass fail in leadership happened. You have what appears to be White students who where not raised properly who where sent to Mizzou and think its ok to carry out their parents behavior and this isn't the way life works. Learn to respect other people is the main issue.
Can you cite some specifics? We know the claim that the KKK was on campus was a lie because he admitted it after he was caught. He was the same one who claimed some guys in a pick up truck (of course, lol) shouted tbe N word at him once off campus. If he lied about the one thing....
Then there was the swastika scrawled in human feces. That never happened either. All that was left was a few unsubstantiated accusations of people using the N word.

Old 01-12-2016, 06:24 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,834,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
Now they got more room for more african american to apply

After the diversity takes over a white institution and ruins it, and the whites say here have it then and move away, the diversity chases the whites down to repeat the cycle. Eventually were going to run out of whites and safe areas to diversify.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies