Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2016, 05:34 AM

34,048 posts, read 17,064,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Just heard that G.E. is leaving Fairfield, CT. After decades of tax breaks, land deals, concessions on Power and Light rates... after decades of lost revenue to the city of Fairfield in return for the dubious value of getting to say... "G.E. lives here" they're leaving. Hundreds of homeowners are going to take a bath. Dozens of restaurants that were built or moved to be near the campus are going to have to lay off workers and/or go out of business. Boston has offered, among other incentives $25M in tax breaks and $150M in real estate interests.

What harm? Ct received 42 years of benefitting from GE. Taxes from them, their employees, suppliers, multiplier effect. Now home to 16 OTHER F500s.

Had Ct not tried to pile on tax increase after tax increase (5 the last decade alone hit GE), GE would be staying. Ct tried to change terms, and corps, Thank God, are NOT hostages.

I grew up in Ct, and hope it learned its lesson. Last straw was this gov's 2nd multi billion tax hike, adding a unitary tax. Outrageous. Like charging you a toll for driving in states 1,000 miles from state you are driving in. Good to see a corporate giant fight back!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2016, 09:07 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,767,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
why don't all you downtrodden taken advantage of working folks start your own businesses?
Are you going to loan me the capital?
(Seriously though, starting businesses is for people with nothing to lose or plenty that they can afford to lose. I have been through a couple of startups as an employee and even fantastic concepts with solid plans fail at least 70% of the time, even more in risky areas like restaurants and tech. When you are middle class, you have too much to lose to start a business and not enough access to other people's capital to go the llc route. Even with my SO and I both at 800+ credit ratings, even a $100k business loan was out of reach because we did not have the $500k in assets they wanted to back it.)

Old 01-16-2016, 08:06 PM

32,062 posts, read 15,058,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Nox View Post
wow ... union apologists. O well. Maybe sometime you can look at the union rules dictating how much work a member can do and how many 'supervisors' are required. Until then, spare me your apologetic blather. And BTW, I take it that you know your numbered reasons are fact not just your created 'reasons'.

El Nox
Not an apologist. You made an observation and I just questioned it. You made your own assumption

Old 01-16-2016, 10:16 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
[/b]

It has nothing to do with campaign contributions. Unions fight for the middle class when no one else seems to care. How much do you pay for health insurance. Unions fight for affordable healthcare for their employees which is huge. Do you want less or more government involvement.

The only reason union exist.
Government employees have never had those things to deal with. Government was a bad employer, to create a union?

Old 01-16-2016, 10:17 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Unions were created because of bad employers...
Public unions were created to fill someones pocket, skimming off the top.

Old 01-16-2016, 10:41 PM

32,062 posts, read 15,058,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Unions were created because of bad employers...
Public unions were created to fill someones pocket, skimming off the top.
You are so wrong. They represent firefighters, teachers, police among others. My bil was a firefighter. Before a union he worked enormous hours with little pay and benefits. Who was he to complain to. No one because they didn't care.

Old 01-16-2016, 11:44 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,930,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
What harm? Ct received 42 years of benefitting from GE. Taxes from them, their employees, suppliers, multiplier effect. Now home to 16 OTHER F500s.
Are we both talking about the same GE? The GE I'm talking about filed the longest tax return in history. The one that made the news because it took 11 forklift trucks to get it into the IRS office. GE was like an adult child that won't leave home. They have a good job and make a nice living, but they won't contribute any more towards household expenses than the same $20/mo. you used to take off them when they didn't leave home after college. I have an excellent idea. Let's not charge anymore corporate taxes. We will obtain the revenue necessary to keep a First World Nuclear Superpower running by taxing Corporate Apologists!

Old 01-17-2016, 03:03 AM

2,055 posts, read 1,448,584 times
Quote:
Are we both talking about the same GE? The GE I'm talking about filed the longest tax return in history. The one that made the news because it took 11 forklift trucks to get it into the IRS office. GE was like an adult child that won't leave home. They have a good job and make a nice living, but they won't contribute any more towards household expenses than the same $20/mo. you used to take off them when they didn't leave home after college. I have an excellent idea. Let's not charge anymore corporate taxes. We will obtain the revenue necessary to keep a First World Nuclear Superpower running by taxing Corporate Apologists!
An interesting exchange of 'ideas' here. but the highlighted portion does bring a question to mind from a non-CT person. I have to assume the statement is correct. What necessitated that quantity of paperwork? Was the return that large because of GE deductions? Was it that large because of the required paperwork from out simplified tax code?

El Nox

Old 01-17-2016, 05:24 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,063,396 times
LOL, the trend is clear.

Those who create value, either through their own work contribution as an employee or as a business owner thrive. Those whose work product is viewed as a commodity - low cost of entry, widely available, easily obtained, lacking differentiation - are rewarded as low cost commodity.

Been this way for time immemorial.
Quote:
Do you know why a minimum wage law was enacted? It is because during the Great Depression, job creators could get a full days work, sexual favors even, from starving Americans for no wages at all. A bowl of soup, a loaf of bread... a jug of wine, whatever they wanted to provide. Man's inhumanity to man is virtually limitless. Unless ameliorated by the collective conscience that is. Unions were a necessary outgrowth of the collective conscience needed to expand upon the minimal benefits provided by a Federally mandated minimum wage. "Those who are unable to learn from history are doomed to repeat it." -George Santayana

Old 01-17-2016, 05:30 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,063,396 times
Yes, I know. A ~200% run up in the stock market since early 2009. It was great to be a recipient of that Fed driven easy money occurrence, by being invested. And since October 2014 when the Fed began winding down their QE, the markets have struggled and now have tanked. Of course, there are other factors at play besides the end of the free money era, but they to afford opportunities too, for some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Um, ever since SCOTUS decided that money is speech, money is justice-most people ARE powerless in our system.

Most people need to spend their money on food and shelter, and don't have the disposable income to bribe politicians to do what is right/just in our corrupt system. Unions used to be the only voice for the working class and seemed to keep treasonous politicians selling our nation to the highest bidder in check.

Unions are already impotent for the most part-and Americans are struggling. Politicians are doing the bidding of corporations/banks that do not have the interests of the US or Americans at heart. The TPP is NAFTA on steroids and will further erode the Middle/Working class, the backbone of our economy and nation. ACA was written by the health insurance companies.

The Federal Reserve just completed the greatest wealth transfer in the history of the World-from the working class to the leeching class-yet useful idiots are on here complaining about measly pensions and benefits that EVERYONE in this nation should be receiving if they are working full time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies