Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 12:28 PM
LM1

833 posts, read 993,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Nobody gets carded or has to find an 'adult' to buy pot.
In my own youth (lets say, 16 years old), if I were sent on a scavenger hunt and told to obtain a fifth of Jack Daniels and an eighth ounce of Marijuana, I could've gotten the pot in five minutes, whereas the booze would've taken a good bit more effort.

I think your logic is sound.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 12:49 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,459,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Nobody gets carded or has to find an 'adult' to buy pot.
I understand what you're saying, and the logic behind it. I just haven't found it to be true, that's all. Maybe alcohol was just easier for me to get as a teenager, I don't know.

Quote:
In my own youth (lets say, 16 years old), if I were sent on a scavenger hunt and told to obtain a fifth of Jack Daniels and an eighth ounce of Marijuana, I could've gotten the pot in five minutes, whereas the booze would've taken a good bit more effort.
Haha, definitely not for me. I guess it just depends - I'm from a small town. The people who sold pot usually also sold crack. You'd always hear about kids getting robbed at gunpoint, buying pot. I had a good fake ID at 16, maybe that had something to do with it.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:50 PM

5,224 posts, read 4,996,465 times
Smoking Pot is like drinking without having to PEE every 10 minutes.. LOL..

Old 02-06-2008, 01:12 PM

24,487 posts, read 33,205,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
The most common rebuttal is that "Pot is a gateway drug." This fails to account for the fact that many legal drugs are gateway drugs, including Tylenol, caffeine, nicotine, and Benadryl.
Two wrongs do not make a right. Why release yet another problem into society?

Old 02-06-2008, 01:22 PM
LM1

833 posts, read 993,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Because according to all accounts and general pillars of logic, it isn't a "problem" and never really was.

The same psuedo-puritanical BS that brought us prohibition of beer also brought the same to relatively benign narcotics. The only difference is, beer is more popular so the majority rules, even if the majority is wrong.

Old 02-06-2008, 01:39 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,459,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Because our laws should be consistent.

Because its "wrongness" is subjective and highly debatable.

Because it is already out there, and fighting it is causing our federal, local and state governments to hemorrhage tax dollars.

Old 02-06-2008, 02:02 PM

5,762 posts, read 11,610,828 times
There is an argument that alcohol is tolerated much more than other drugs because users "suffer" for overconsumption of alcohol in the form of hangovers. With drugs like pot, there is no suffering, and hence, no "atonement." Vengeful teetotalers would rather have people suffer for their "sins" than not, and if the drug doesn't carry its own punishment, they'd like the law to step in and serve the same role.

Old 02-06-2008, 02:03 PM

1,482 posts, read 5,165,885 times
There is such a thing as "too high". It's not comfortable.

Old 02-06-2008, 02:35 PM

20,170 posts, read 24,273,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImRandy View Post
There is such a thing as "too high". It's not comfortable.
Like sex?

Don't worry. It gets better when you gain experince with it.

After that, it's just like falling off a bicycle.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:04 PM

24,487 posts, read 33,205,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM1 View Post
Because according to all accounts and general pillars of logic, it isn't a "problem" and never really was.

The same psuedo-puritanical BS that brought us prohibition of beer also brought the same to relatively benign narcotics. The only difference is, beer is more popular so the majority rules, even if the majority is wrong.
Those who work at rehabs in hosptials would disagree that it isn't a problem. Many of those rehab patients are marijuana-related.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies