Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 11:01 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,734,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
PP, like most medical facilities in this country, accepts medicare/medicaid patients, and also provides medical services under other federal and state programs - again, like many other medical facilities.
Which should have been forcibly separated from the part of Planned Parenthood that provides abortions. In order for them to receive any federal funding, they should be abortion free, and therefore political scandal free. Taxpayers who consider abortion to be an unspeakable abomination should not be forced to fund abortion. Not the abortion. Not the person performing the abortion. Not the facility that the abortions takes place in. Not the electric, water and heating bills for that facility. They should not be liable to fund abortion in in any way whatsoever.

I have no sympathy for them. By providing abortions, they put themselves in the crosshairs. If you want an abortion, you have that right because the SCOTUS said so. So go find a clinic and pay for it yourself. If Planned Parenthood wants to be that clinic, they forfeit their right to be government funded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2016, 11:12 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Which should have been forcibly separated from the part of Planned Parenthood that provides abortions. In order for them to receive any federal funding, they should be abortion free, and therefore political scandal free. Taxpayers who consider abortion to be an unspeakable abomination should not be forced to fund abortion. Not the abortion. Not the person performing the abortion. Not the facility that the abortions takes place in. Not the electric, water and heating bills for that facility. They should not be liable to fund abortion in in any way whatsoever.

I have no sympathy for them. By providing abortions, they put themselves in the crosshairs. If you want an abortion, you have that right because the SCOTUS said so. So go find a clinic and pay for it yourself. If Planned Parenthood wants to be that clinic, they forfeit their right to be government funded.
Guess what?

The government uses my tax dollars to do lots of things I disagree with.

Tell me, why are you so special that you should get to dictate how your tax dollars are used?

Old 01-16-2016, 11:21 PM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The truth of behind the organization and how they produced the videos. PP was allowed to subpoena some of the CMP employees so this should uncover some other people that support this organization. They caused quite a bit of damage to PP and now are being made responsible for their antics. Ted Cruz is a big supporter of Troy Newman by the way.

"The lawsuit is against known anti-abortion extremists, including Daleiden, Troy Newman, Albin Rhomberg, and Sandra Merritt, as well as the front organizations they created to commit their crimes: CMP and BioMax.

"The lawsuit charges that CMP, its leaders, and other co-conspirators:
– Violated the Racketeer Influence and Corrupt Organizations (RICO) Act;
– Violated the federal eavesdropping statute;
– Engaged in wire fraud, mail fraud, invasion of privacy, illegal secret recording, and trespassing; and
– Used a complex criminal enterprise to defraud Planned Parenthood and prevent it from providing health care.
The lawsuit asks for restitution of compensatory and punitive damages and triple damages for violation of the RICO Act, as well as attorney’s fees."

Planned Parenthood Drops A Bomb On Republicans With Lawsuit Over Illegal Edited Videos
So if all the above are true then why no criminal charges in local and federal court?

Old 01-17-2016, 07:09 AM

57,286 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
So if all the above are true then why no criminal charges in local and federal court?
I don't know, like I stated good question it sure sounds like there should be federal charges,

Old 01-17-2016, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Guess what?

The government uses my tax dollars to do lots of things I disagree with.

Tell me, why are you so special that you should get to dictate how your tax dollars are used?
On an issue this hot and this divisive? PP was bound to get defunded sooner or later.

If PP wants to do their thing as a women's health clinic that doesn't do abortions, good for them. The moment that abortions come into the picture, they've painted a giant bullseye on themselves and anti-abortion crowd will sabotage them at every turn. The SCOTUS says that women have the right to have an abortion, but they never said that the American taxpayer has to pay for it.

If the government is doing something you don't like, you don't have to sit back and just take it. If you have the ability to stop it, you do. Anti-abortion folks are very motivated to stop federal funding for abortion. Even if you passionately disagree with their cause, you might look at it as a template to get the government to not waste money on things you disagree with.

Old 01-17-2016, 08:00 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Quote:
On an issue this hot and this divisive? PP was bound to get defunded sooner or later.

If PP wants to do their thing as a women's health clinic that doesn't do abortions, good for them. The moment that abortions come into the picture, they've painted a giant bullseye on themselves and anti-abortion crowd will sabotage them at every turn. The SCOTUS says that women have the right to have an abortion, but they never said that the American taxpayer has to pay for it.

If the government is doing something you don't like, you don't have to sit back and just take it. If you have the ability to stop it, you do. Anti-abortion folks are very motivated to stop federal funding for abortion. Even if you passionately disagree with their cause, you might look at it as a template to get the government to not waste money on things you disagree with.
Hence the well deserved PP lawsuit, thanks for admitting it.

Old 01-17-2016, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Hence the well deserved PP lawsuit, thanks for admitting it.
LOL, I'm not a lawyer. I'm just pointing out facts here. PP can sue if they want to sue. If crimes were committed then that'll sort itself out. I honestly don't know.

What I do know is that the GOP will do everything in its power to ensure that no federal money is ever spent on abortions. That's as far as they can legally go, and so they'll take that as far as they possibly can. That was my whole point there. The GOP will sabotage them and defund them. I agree. Taxpayer dollars shouldn't be spent on abortions anymore than they should be spent on propping any highly-partisan special interest.

Both sides on the abortion issue have committed crimes, told lies and behaved in terrible ways. It's just one of those issues that you're either passionately for or passionately against. People are stupid when acting on overwhelming anger or fear or disgust or righteous indignation, etc. Welcome to human nature 101.

Old 01-17-2016, 08:42 AM

57,286 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:

They will not be defunded, the states where they provide services don't have anyone to pick up their medical services also how they restrict Medicaid payments to one provider and not the other. There has already been a decline in services due to some states "concern for womens health" that resulted in closures.

Also there are hospitals and other providers that account for over half of the abortions, will they also terminate their funds.

Assuming that they stopped abortions tomorrow what would be the plan for 70,000 unwanted births, is social services ready, are there people willing to adopt?

Old 01-17-2016, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Assuming that they stopped abortions tomorrow what would be the plan for 70,000 unwanted births, is social services ready, are there people willing to adopt?
Yep, I am. I can't adopt 70,000 babies, but there are plenty of people out there who want to adopt and at present can't.

If we ever get to a point where abortion is stopped, we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. If pro-abortion folks wanna tell religions and other anti-abortion entities they gotta take in the unwanted babies, I say bring it on! We'll handle it.

But for now we're talking about abortion as a legal procedure. Any entity specializing in abortion is going to be targeted by political opponents of abortion. If PP is so critically important in any given area that they are irreplaceable, then I guess they'll have to stop performing abortions. If a hospital performs abortions as birth control (so not cases where the mother's life is in danger or rape, etc) then yes their funding should be in jeopardy as well.

Let's flip the script for a moment here. I want a gun and I want my concealed carry license. The Supreme Court says I have the right to have these things. Should the cost of buying the gun be federally funded? How about the shooting range for me to practice in? How about the cost of the CCL classes? Should American taxpayers have to pay for my application fees? Surely federal funding should at least pay for my ammo, right? How much of any hot-button controversial issue do you think should be federally funded? I think zero sounds about right.

Old 01-17-2016, 12:25 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:
Yep, I am. I can't adopt 70,000 babies, but there are plenty of people out there who want to adopt and at present can't.

If we ever get to a point where abortion is stopped, we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. If pro-abortion folks wanna tell religions and other anti-abortion entities they gotta take in the unwanted babies, I say bring it on! We'll handle it.

But for now we're talking about abortion as a legal procedure. Any entity specializing in abortion is going to be targeted by political opponents of abortion. If PP is so critically important in any given area that they are irreplaceable, then I guess they'll have to stop performing abortions. If a hospital performs abortions as birth control (so not cases where the mother's life is in danger or rape, etc) then yes their funding should be in jeopardy as well.

Let's flip the script for a moment here. I want a gun and I want my concealed carry license. The Supreme Court says I have the right to have these things. Should the cost of buying the gun be federally funded? How about the shooting range for me to practice in? How about the cost of the CCL classes? Should American taxpayers have to pay for my application fees? Surely federal funding should at least pay for my ammo, right? How much of any hot-button controversial issue do you think should be federally funded? I think zero sounds about right.
The government didn't pay for my abortion, I did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies