Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 10:11 AM

548 posts, read 473,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
Ironically, it sounds like both Muslim nations who support Sharia Law, and a bit like Trump. You'll notice that leaders like to use outside threats to scare people into giving them control. You can see that on the left as well, not just the right.
Correct. It immediately brought Trump to my mind as well.

As one of my previous posts stated there definitely can be left wing authoritarian governments (i.e. Mao or pol pot) but it is much more common among right wing fear politics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2016, 10:12 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,925,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupBro View Post
Right-wing authoritarianism is measured by the RWA scale, which uses a Likert scale response. The first scored item on the scale states, "Our country desperately needs a mighty leader who will do what has to be done to destroy the radical new ways and sinfulness that are ruining us." People who strongly agree with this are showing a tendency toward authoritarian submission (Our country desperately needs a mighty leader), authoritarian aggression (who will do what has to be done to destroy), and conventionalism (the radical new ways and sinfulness that are ruining us)
http://members.shaw.ca/jeanaltemeyer...oritarians.pdf

Who might this remind you of?

There have been a number of other attempts to identify "left-wing authoritarians" in the United States and Canada. These would be people who submit to leftist authorities, are highly conventional to liberal viewpoints, and are aggressive to people who oppose left-wing ideology. These attempts have failed because measures of authoritarianism always correlate at least slightly with the right. However, left-wing authoritarians were found in Eastern Europe. There are certainly extremists across the political spectrum, but most psychologists now believe that authoritarianism is a predominantly right-wing phenomenon.

Stone, W. F., & Smith, L. D. (1993). Authoritarianism: Left and right. In W. F. Stone, G. Lederer, & R. Christie (Eds.)
The following is a link to an interactive version of the Right-wing Authoritarianism Scale. It takes about 10 minutes & gives results of the Right-wing Authoritarianism Scale:

Right Wing Authoritarianism Scale

Quote:
Right-wing authoritarians want society and social interactions structured in ways that increase uniformity and minimize diversity. In order to achieve that, they tend to be in favour of social control, coercion, and the use of group authority to place constraints on the behaviours of people such as political dissidents and ethnic minorities. These constraints might include restrictions on immigration, limits on free speech and association and laws regulating moral behaviour. It is the willingness to support or take action that leads to increased social uniformity that makes right-wing authoritarianism more than just a personal distaste for difference. Right-wing authoritarianism is characterized by obedience to authority, moral absolutism, racial and ethnic prejudice, and intolerance and punitiveness towards dissidents and deviants. In parenting, right-wing authoritarians value children's obedience, neatness, and good manners.

Old 01-18-2016, 10:13 AM

Quote:
I won't defend the Republican Party, but it is funny how people don't see their own inner control freak. Leftists don't see themselves as authoritarians or control freaks, but they're the ones berating anyone calling for deregulation, less state control in the economy, less government programs, etc...they think that their liberal social views make them liberal as a whole, but they're just as authoritarian as the right can be.
And that is why there are 2 axes to the political spectrum, not 1.

Old 01-18-2016, 10:15 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:

As one of my previous posts stated there definitely can be left wing authoritarian governments (i.e. Mao or pol pot) but it is much more common among right wing fear politics.
Sorry, but most liberal policies push for more government control making it more authoritarian.

Left wing policies are much more authoritarian than right wing policies.

Old 01-18-2016, 10:15 AM

5,301 posts, read 2,355,152 times
Quote:
And that is why there are 2 axes to the political spectrum, not 1.
Yep, definitely. Then there are some who are off the political spectrum completely... Having a state at all is authoritarian and collectivist in nature.

Old 01-18-2016, 10:17 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,870,141 times
Quote:
If you think Bernie is advocating doing "what has to be done to destroy the radical new ways and sinfulness that are ruining us" I'm not sure what plane of reality you're living in.
His advocations and his intentions are separate.

His advocated methods are about as vague as Trump's.

Old 01-18-2016, 10:20 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
I won't defend the Republican Party, but it is funny how people don't see their own inner control freak. Leftists don't see themselves as authoritarians or control freaks, but they're the ones berating anyone calling for deregulation, less state control in the economy, less government programs, etc...they think that their liberal social views make them liberal as a whole, but they're just as authoritarian as the right can be.
It's really pretty simple.

The left wants to regulate things that impact everyone. No, you don't get to dump toxic waste into the river because other people need to use that same river for water and food. No, you don't get to pollute the air as much as you want because other people have to breathe it too. No, you don't get to have a deregulated financial system because then everyone loses their shirts.

The right wants to regulate things that impact the individual. They basically want to use the government to force their morals on everyone else.

Essentially:
Left: do whatever you want as long as you're not hurting anyone else
Right: do what I tell you to do, unless you're a corporation in which case do whatever you want even if it hurts the entire country

Old 01-18-2016, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
The following is a link to an interactive version of the Right-wing Authoritarianism Scale. It takes about 10 minutes & gives results of the Right-wing Authoritarianism Scale:

Right Wing Authoritarianism Scale
Yeah I guess that's same study I linked to earlier.

I got 25% authoritarian.

Old 01-18-2016, 10:22 AM

2,962 posts, read 4,999,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Sorry, but most liberal policies push for more government control making it more authoritarian.

Left wing policies are much more authoritarian than right wing policies.
Synonym for authoritarian: illiberal

il·lib·er·al
i(l)ˈlib(ə)rəl/
adjective
adjective: illiberal
  1. 1.
    opposed to liberal principles; restricting freedom of thought or behavior.
    "illiberal and anti-democratic policies"
    synonyms:intolerant, narrow-minded, unenlightened, conservative, reactionary; Morefundamentalist, puritanical;
    undemocratic, authoritarian, repressive, totalitarian, despotic, tyrannical, oppressive, draconian, fascist
    "we're hoping they will withdraw the most illiberal and intrusive of these measures"

antonyms:tolerant, progressive

2. 2.
    rare
    uncultured or unrefined.

Old 01-18-2016, 10:23 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,870,141 times
Quote:
Hillary walks the walk of a fascist.

And, she always has.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies