Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 08:00 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
They must change their attitude. So they might get free stuff and sit on their butts all day. but then comes with that - slavery to the government plantation. also, another consequence is loss of freedom. taking the government benefits does not allow you to live where you want, but where Section 8 has housing. Food stamps does not allow you to buy fun stuff that is not allowed, so you have to cheat to get the fun things, or nowadays they cash in their EBT card to pay for "fun" things but then they have less food. Its always better to earn your own money because it gives you independence and self worth. It gives you self confidence because you have now created and earned what you have rather than being vulnerable waiting for that monthly check. And if the welfare well dries up, you will be in a very bad condition. you wont be able to stand strong.

I do believe some/most of the victims of Katrina died because they became weak, vulnerable and dependent on the government to rescue them, rather than get up, rescue themselves and escape. They got so used to being rescued that they did not have the skills to get the hell outta there. not everyone but i bet many could have been saved if they were not in a dependent condition.
So you think a majority of black people sit on our butts all day, are on a government plantation, take government benefits, housing, and food stamps and use an EBT card?

Ummm, racist much?

LOL!

That post was pretty hilarious and sad.

FYI the majority of people on government assistance are not black. And a majority of black people are not poor or in poverty and are doing pretty well in life.

In regards to Hurricane Katrina, if people don't have money to leave, and they have ridden out storms before that the media said would destroy their city, then people will take a chance. That is what happened during Katrina. Do you say the same thing regarding Katrina and all the poor white Mississipians and Alabamans that lost everything and were killed as well during that storm and the others that year? I doubt it from your posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2016, 08:04 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,573,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
LOL OP.

What stuff do you get just for being black?

I'm black and I'd like to know. I've never gotten anything just for being black.
Don't you automatically get affirmative action?

Old 01-17-2016, 08:06 PM

4,511 posts, read 5,048,411 times
And yet blacks keep voting Democrat

Old 01-17-2016, 08:07 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,595,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
More white women have benefited from affirmative action than blacks!!

Old 01-17-2016, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
Where would I get affirmative action?

And don't white women and Asians and Latinos and Native Americans also get Affirmative Action???

I went to an HBCU. I have primarily worked at locations with a high amount of well paid, professional black employees. There is no way I could have received Affirmative Action as I have never worked in a place where I am underrepresented.

Contrary to what you think, most black people never receive Affirmative Action. Like Beliciano says, it has helped white women more than any demographic in this country. And FWIW, I don't have a problem with that.

But if I'm going to get something for being black, I want it to be something only black people can get. Welfare and public housing and Affirmative Action are all things that all sorts of Americans get. In regards to Food Stamps, public housing/Section 8, and Affirmative Action, white women receive all of those more than black people.

Old 01-17-2016, 08:11 PM

269 posts, read 178,262 times
Quote:
LOL OP.

What stuff do you get just for being black?

I'm black and I'd like to know. I've never gotten anything just for being black.

FYI, plenty of Americans work the system and do it for years and sit on their butts and milk the system. That has nothing to do with the unemployment rate as there will always be a small percentage of people who don't want to work or refuse to work or who are disabled (and some who are "disabled" if you know what I mean and FWIW, most of those who are "disabled" are not black and they also milk the system).

As a black person who is well aware of the history of America, especially as it relates to race and especially in relation to modern history (20th century to present) IMO the only two places where systematic racism still occurs is the criminal justice system and the private workforce. Contrary to what you believe, there are studies that prove that black people are not given opportunities for work like whites are or hispanics or Asians due to stereotypes based on biases against black people. Fortunately, these biases and stereotypes in the workplace are not as prevalent as they once were, but they are still there. For you to think they aren't IMO means that you probably aren't black or you are ignorant of modern history on this subjects.

There is no way any politician can "fix" it. The best way IMO for black people to obtain lucrative employment is to become entreprenuers and hire other black people to work for them.

And also FWIW, the "black man" is not "down" today. Black Americans of my generation going forward (I am a young gen-X) are the most educated and most well off black population that this country has ever produced. The majority of us have high school diplomas and college matriculation has increased substantially. For black females it is growing the fastest of any other demographic in the country. Despite these biases black people have and will continue to get better economically and educationally which does show up in recent statistics. So again, black people are not "down" black people are rising.
My mother is black. My father was white. Both of my parents were in the military, and as a kid growing up in the late 70's and early 80's in WA state, I was told by my parents that it is to my advantage to ALWAYS identify as being black. To this very day when I fill out a check box for ANYTHING, I state my race as being black/of African descent. The reason for this is because I know that my chances of getting a job, getting a scholarship, or even being accepted into a university will greatly increase.

Yes, I will agree that some things like online dating or renting from a private party are definitely harder for a black guy than a white guy, but to say that there are not a significant amount of entitlements for blacks, or that you have never received anything just for being black in this country is simply laughable.

Old 01-17-2016, 08:15 PM

9,908 posts, read 9,579,736 times
Quote:
So you think a majority of black people sit on our butts all day, are on a government plantation, take government benefits, housing, and food stamps and use an EBT card?

Ummm, racist much?

LOL!

That post was pretty hilarious and sad.

FYI the majority of people on government assistance are not black. And a majority of black people are not poor or in poverty and are doing pretty well in life.

In regards to Hurricane Katrina, if people don't have money to leave, and they have ridden out storms before that the media said would destroy their city, then people will take a chance. That is what happened during Katrina. Do you say the same thing regarding Katrina and all the poor white Mississipians and Alabamans that lost everything and were killed as well during that storm and the others that year? I doubt it from your posts.
Excuse me, but i was replying to the words of the poster that i commented on. Please read before you throw out the race card. I added my comment about Katrina because i am afraid that some of them could have left and escaped had they not been made weak and dependent on others to rescue them. they would have escaped themself. Just like if you ever watch the movie Aliens, the way Sigourney Weaver's character fought the monsters, that is the attitude you gotta have.

Old 01-17-2016, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkinhead View Post
My mother is black. My father was white. Both of my parents were in the military, and as a kid growing up in the late 70's and early 80's in WA state, I was told by my parents that it is to my advantage to ALWAYS identify as being black. To this very day when I fill out a check box for ANYTHING, I state my race as being black/of African descent. The reason for this is because I know that my chances of getting a job, getting a scholarship, or even being accepted into a university will greatly increase.

Yes, I will agree that some things like online dating or renting from a private party are definitely harder for a black guy than a white guy, but to say that there are not a significant amount of entitlements for blacks, or that you have never received anything just for being black in this country is simply laughable.
Like I stated earlier, I have never received anything for being black. I went to an HBCU (Historically Black College/University). White people get scholarships at HBCUs due to being underrepresented as do Latinos and Asians.

You are a military kid and your youth is not a regular American youth due to being a military brat. Basically you didn't live in the "real world" and I can accept you are ignorant in regards to the fact that black people don't get "black stuff."

It is cool that you are ignorant in regards to studies that have proven that the workplace discriminates against black people, even black people with no criminal records have a worse time getting a job than a white criminal. And it is pretty laughable that you would think that being black would make you more likely to get a job when black people are always the "last hired, first fired." This has been the case since the 19th century.

Your race does not increase your chances at any of the things you cited. But from what you write, I can see that your parents instilled in you the idea that being black means that one is inferior to a white person. Since you are half white, I'm sure you think you're better than other blacks and that if you have anything it is because you "deserve" it rather than checking a box.

FWIW, my black parents told me that to get ahead I need to work harder and be smarter than a white person. As did my grandparents. My great grandparents told me that I was a prayer come true for our ancestors and not to waste my opportunities. Those are things regular black families say to black children. Not to check a box and ride the black train so your life will be candy and roses.

Old 01-17-2016, 08:17 PM

15,064 posts, read 6,167,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkinhead View Post

Actually, none of your examples are evidence of receiving something just for being black. You must do far more to get a job, a scholarship or to be accepted at a university. That is why people build their resume and increase their skill set. This is why people work hard in school. That is what takes someone 90% of the way or all the way.

Old 01-17-2016, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Excuse me, but i was replying to the words of the poster that i commented on. Please read before you throw out the race card. I added my comment about Katrina because i am afraid that some of them could have left and escaped had they not been made weak and dependent on others to rescue them. they would have escaped themself. Just like if you ever watch the movie Aliens, the way Sigourney Weaver's character fought the monsters, that is the attitude you gotta have.
I don't have a race card. Don't use your overly played out media drivel on me. The race card is something that white people want to use when they don't want to have difficult discussions about race.

It's fine if I misunderstood you. But I did read your response and your response was speaking in blatant generalizations about black people in this country and about people who were victims of a natural disaster. No one's situation is the same as another's and to state the things you stated, for me, showed that you hold a lot of bias against black people.

No card needed. I say it like I see it and I don't "play."

ETA: I responded to the same post you did, the OP, earlier in the thread and countered the OPs arguments about "blacks" and "black people" being a generalized, negative, poor stereotype. Maybe if you would have done the same instead of buying into his/her ideology, you would have received a more positive response from me.

Last edited by residinghere2007; 01-17-2016 at 08:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies