Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 12:52 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,268,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
It's sad that the lack of response to this thread indicates how little people care about those living on the streets. Even more sad is that many seem to feel that refugees from another country are more deserving of our resources than our own citizens.
You are assuming the vast majority of posters here are serious is why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 01:40 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,433,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I'm assuming that you are implying that if the homeless don't like where they are, they should just move- right? Fair enough but tell me how they might be able to do that.

There are a number of homeless young people - sometimes called "disaffected youth" -who seasonally travel to different parts of the country. e.g. they infest Portland in the summer and are probably in California this time of year. They're sometimes called "travelers".

Old 01-19-2016, 02:01 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,691,496 times
Quote:

I've worked with the homeless and I believe that the only feasible solution is to offer supportive housing like the Housing First program in SLC .

^ Homeless First is a simple concept, a permanent solution to end chronic long term homelessness- no strings attached.

Long term homelessness is defined as being homeless for more than a year.

It's a national initiative, although Utah has recieved the most attention because of the Church of JC of the Latter Day Saints- an army of volunteers , ready, willing and able to volunteer to achieve the goal.

As your link says, 90% of the funding for the construction of new housing came from the fed. The remainder came from the state and church.

Tenants are not required to get sober, seek or comply with mental health care or get a job. Support services, including healthcare, are available but no one is required to use such services. Each tenant pays rent, a percentage of their SDI, SSDI and TANF incomes. The fed picks up the rest via Section 8.

Instead of condemning those " on the dole" the community celebrates achieving the goal of eliminating chronic homelessness and creating optional opportunities for the homeless. It takes a special community to suspend judgment.

From a bottom line standpoint, they determined it's more cost effective to house the homeless, no strings attached than it was to operate temporary shelters/ soup kitchens and ER visits.

If federal funding were eliminated, the entire thing shuts down.

I am curious if and how potential tenants are vetted and what Utah does that prevents permanent homeless housing from becoming a ghetto.

There's another active thread ( as there usually is ) bashing welfare mamas. Last I checked, there's was a consensus to cut the leeches and their spawn off.

And here we are talking about how the federal government does not do more for homeless people.

Old 01-19-2016, 02:07 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,691,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
Other "life choices"

1. Quitting school and running away from home to become a "model"
2. Taking drugs and skipping school
3. Getting knocked up
4. Going to college and majoring in something that the marketplace does not need more of
5. Having a police record by the time you are 18.
You forgot " knocking up". It takes a man and woman to engage in unprotected sex to create a baby.

Old 01-19-2016, 02:25 PM

45,186 posts, read 26,400,393 times
sorry, real or perceived the federal government has no moral or constitutional authority to address the "homeless crisis"

Old 01-19-2016, 03:11 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,871,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Go talk to your fellow cons. They don't give two hoots about homeless. Come on this forum, they're constantly insulting the homeless. Maybe you should give them a nice lecture, they're the ones who need the help in becoming compassionate & helping others, not the dems. Hell, just read this very thread. I guarantee the ones making the off handed, insulting remarks are from cons. In fact, I'll bet on it.
So if cons don't care no one else needs to?
My fellow cons? One thread I'm called a con the next a lib go figure.

Old 01-19-2016, 03:15 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,871,350 times
Quote:
I thought you wanted to talk about the homeless, after all that is the title of the thread and this is what you said:
It is disingenuous to start a thread claiming it is about one thing when it reality it is nothing more than another Obama bash fest.
So I'm not allowed to reply to a post? I'm sorry if you think Obama has been perfect and is above reproach. I think Obama has been disingenuous in regard to both the refugees and our homeless. I think people who are so willing to turn a blind eye to the faults of our elected reps based upon what party they support are also disingenuous.

Old 01-19-2016, 03:32 PM

35,648 posts, read 21,018,276 times
there was the movie Purge- many secretly may not actually go hurt someone-- but be glad it happen--- MANY do not want to know about anyone's suffering- hunger - after all its their own fault isn't it? There are kind people-and some do a lot for others but, It shames me to know the vets are in such dire need for so long-- and still----

Old 01-20-2016, 09:45 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,546,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
So if cons don't care no one else needs to?
My fellow cons? One thread I'm called a con the next a lib go figure.
I actually didn't say that at all.

Old 01-20-2016, 10:19 AM

884 posts, read 715,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Bear in mind, 2/3rds of Americans are 2 paychecks away from being homeless, thus, let's not write the majority of them off as mentally ill or with drug problems.

Back in the mid-70's, a coworker of mine, with 2 college degrees (mind you!) voluntarily became homeless, fed up with the rat race. She's ideally cut out for the homeless lifestyle. She's the first to enter a library in the morning, and the last to leave! She could read and read and read ad infinitum!

When she called me in the early 90's, she had traveled so widely, she knew all the best homeless shelters in a good part of the country.

Back in the Middle Ages, when you wanted to get off the merry-go-round of life, wanted to take a long breather, you'd merely head for the nearest monastery, drop out for awhile, and while there you had some daily chores to do, but very little if any pressure. When recouped, ready to join the world again, you'd leave!
Now, with the diagnosed mentally ill person it may be difficult (ya know the one hollering and talking to the air with the devilish look on their face, feet going a mile a minute yet not moving an inch) but for the rest why couldn't shelters be put up that they do chores in? Gets them the basics necessities of life.

We really need to step up funding for mental health and addiction. If I had to choose one I would rather have heart disease than be a paranoid schizophrenic. At least there is treatment without the shame and negative stigma in heart disease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies