Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2016, 02:50 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
If Palin's son does in fact have PTSD she needs to get him treatment and most certainly do a better job keeping the guns and alcohol away from him.

The soldiers coming home from each war were drastically different, people of all backgrounds joined in WW2 but the demographics of Korea and Vietnam were quite different particularly with college deferments, political connections and those able to buy the right doctor. The last few wars were completely volunteer so you have people that actually want to be in the service at least they think so but I have seen more than a few that never should have joined.

I served in Vietnam and it appeared that many were poor, low education and had problems that should have kept them out in the first place, I knew a few that joined the military as opposed to jail time. Most handle it fairly well but quite a few had problem rejoining the world when they came back, the welcoming committee wasn't quite like today but happy for todays vets. Also there was no such thing as PTSD, they were not given attention until years later and the services were non-existent. and he had problems after combat.Hesston pedaled drinking and lived a good life but once in awhile he couldn't cope and checked into the VA hospital. Two decades went by and he was still checking in e eye year from what I recall.

I think there are many claiming PTSD that are gaming the system or using it as an excuse for bad behavior, I will leave that to the doctors. It's unfortunate but for many this is a last resort if they are unemployed, if you served in the infantry for 10 years, no skill, no education the future isn't bright.
My Uncle served in World War II and every once in a while he checked in to the VA hospital. He had quit drinking years before and two decades later after combat was still checking in when he couldn't cope. He had a successful life and a good family. He battled it with help of the VA back in the 50's and 60's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 03:02 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
Oh please. As I've said this shouldn't be a partisan issue because both parties are involved. But since you went there.

Bush was president for the first 7 years of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars. He spent billions of dollars on the military and peanuts on the VA and health services for veterans. Instead of spending those 7 years growing the VA and implementing a plan for how to handle an influx of returning veterans.

As much as Republicans would like to blame Democrats and Democrats want to blame Republicans sitting around pointing fingers does nothing to help veterans.

Our veterans deserve to be more than just a prop for political gains.
Tell that to the left for adding in the Iran sanctions into the VA spending bill. The left are sick people.

Old 01-21-2016, 03:13 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,079,579 times
The problems with Palin's kid wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that he is the son of a whack job, would it?

I mean, she is so "normal" how could the kid possibly be aberrant?

Old 01-21-2016, 03:23 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,455,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
Sarah Palin would probably blame President Obama for all bad things.
The right nuts blame Obama for every and anything. That is why they decided he should be a one-term POTUS during the 2009 inauguration. In one year, those sorry as* folks are going to miss him.

By the way, who names a kid Track?

Old 01-21-2016, 03:24 PM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Default Yes, please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
Oh please. As I've said this shouldn't be a partisan issue because both parties are involved. But since you went there.

Bush was president for the first 7 years of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars. He spent billions of dollars on the military and peanuts on the VA and health services for veterans. Instead of spending those 7 years growing the VA and implementing a plan for how to handle an influx of returning veterans.

As much as Republicans would like to blame Democrats and Democrats want to blame Republicans sitting around pointing fingers does nothing to help veterans.

Our veterans deserve to be more than just a prop for political gains.
Reading this little exchange reminded me how much we go on about what the other side thinks and does and how little we really know, including me, about what legislation actually manages to pass through Congress and which representatives voted "yea" or "nay," most certainly including myself. Try and get any real easy way to figure out who voted for what, let alone for what reasons, and you're in for a little challenge.

I tried to have a look see on who has voted for what regarding veterans, and as I suspected, this does tend to be one of those issues that generally gets bi-partisan support, regardless what Republicans like to claim all their own when it comes to these affairs...

On this bill, for example, HR 357, there was not one vote against.

http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2014/roll033.xml

For whatever any of that might be worth to anyone...

Old 01-21-2016, 03:25 PM

259 posts, read 178,849 times
If you thought Republicans actually believed in personal responsibility, I would like to set you up with a Nigerian prince I met yesterday....

Old 01-21-2016, 03:32 PM

57,285 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Tell that to the left for adding in the Iran sanctions into the VA spending bill. The left are sick people.

Already been pointed out that it was the republicans.

"Senate Republicans stopped Democrats from advancing a bill that would have expanded healthcare and education programs for veterans.

In a 56-41 vote Thursday, the motion to waive a budget point of order against the bill failed, as Democrats fell short of the 60 votes needed to overcome the Republican roadblock.
GOP Sens. Dean Heller (Nev.) and Jerry Moran (Kan.) voted with Democrats.
Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) refused to allow a GOP substitute amendment to get an up-or-down vote because it included Iran sanctions, which he said were unrelated to veterans’ issues"

GOP blocks veterans bill | TheHill

Old 01-21-2016, 03:48 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Tell that to the left for adding in the Iran sanctions into the VA spending bill.
This is what conservatives actually believe.

Old 01-21-2016, 04:05 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,075,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
This is what conservatives actually believe.
And no matter how many times it's pointed out to them that it's actually the Republicans who blocked the bill, a few days from now this will be stated again as fact. Probably by the very same poster. This is what's known as willful ignorance.

Old 01-21-2016, 04:05 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,309,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
One daughter who is in a solid, happy marriage. No drunken rages holding an assault rifle to her head.
And she doesn't have TWO out of wedlock babies by DIFFERENT baby daddies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies