Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 02:34 AM

7,184 posts, read 4,763,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Exercise of Religion is a Constitutionally protected right. Cargill has deep pockets. If the workers were smart and organized Cargill would have something to worry about with this policy.
No, it IS NOT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 06:45 AM

58,958 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Unless you have ever worked on an industrial assembly line you will never understand why so few people want to do that kind of work for the salary offered. Americans are willing to work when it is worth their while.

The Somalis have to realize that assembly work requires near complete suppression of the worker. The only breaks allowed are for food, water, bathroom call. Religion is not on the list.
"Unless you have ever worked on an industrial assembly line you will never understand why so few people want to do that kind of work for the salary offered. Americans are willing to work when it is worth their while.

I didn't know you worked for GM or Ford or Chrysler.

I wouldn't go so far to say ALL " industrial assembly line" jobs are like you describe.

In fact I challenge you to back up your claim.

Old 01-23-2016, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Americans generally don't want to work manufacturing at the wages being offered.

Personally, I would move to some midwestern state to work in manufacturing, but they'd need to pay me about $200,000 / year. Something tells me that a firm that can't afford 10 minute breaks isn't going to be able to afford me, either.

So, yeah, manufacturers and farmers lobby congress to let in more immigrants. Usually, though, it is people on work visas from Latin America. In this case I think the Somali's would be refugees.
"Americans generally don't want to work manufacturing at the wages being offered."

Yet we hear, mostly from the left, to bring ALL those manufacturing jobs back.

Both CAN'T be true.

Old 01-23-2016, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
There's your clue "for the salary offered". That is why these greedy employers hire foreign refugees or illegal aliens. They can pay them less and it increase their profits. This BS has got to stop! We need protection for our own American workforce. One's religion shouldn't be on the list for special accomodations and that should be made known from the get-go. If you can't abide by an employer's rules then don't apply for a job there.
" That is why these greedy employers"

It is easily fixed. You and the people who think that ALL employers are greedy should OPEN your OWN businesses and pay what ever you wish.

Or are you to afraid to take the risk those people did?

Old 01-23-2016, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
What utter nonsense! Capitalism does not negate our immigration laws. Our American workers are not overpaid nor do they have an entitlement mentality. It makes no sense for employers to hire cheap, illegal workers while putting our own citizens out of work who are largest consumers and tax payers in this country. We don't have an open border policy. Our government just hasn't enforced our immigration laws as they should have.
" Our American workers are not overpaid nor do they have an entitlement mentality"

IMO, union workers ARE.

Old 01-23-2016, 06:55 AM

62,866 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Well if it's such a good wage where are the applicants, they are turning people away in droves for these jobs. Stand on your feet for 8 hours in 50 degrees, six day weeks then tell mw how great that $14 is.
If they took all the immigrants out of meatpacking they would close.

"Immigrants" or illegal aliens? Big difference. If it is actually true that Americans won't do certain jobs then hiring illegal aliens for those jobs is unacceptable.

Old 01-23-2016, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
If we're gonna go there: how about a steep progressive tax rate on wages AND capital gains? Let your "entitled" rich people pony up their fair share.

Not all of us Americans have high wage jobs and it's def time to cut DOWN immigration. Period.
" Let your "entitled" rich people pony up their fair share. "

I guess in your book, paying 80% and higher of ALL taxes isn't "fair" enough for some people.

Old 01-23-2016, 07:06 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
" Let your "entitled" rich people pony up their fair share. "

I guess in your book, paying 80% and higher of ALL taxes isn't "fair" enough for some people.
I stand by what I said. Too; several people I've know who make like 200K a year, even THEY have a HUGE problem with people making a whole lot more and not getting taxed much heavier.

That "80 percent" tax probably means dollars and cents, NOT 80 percent of their actual income. Like a person making 1 million a year ain't paying 800K in taxes because of writeoffs.

Old 01-23-2016, 07:06 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,225,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Notice how the government picks some of the most white and Christian areas and seeds the immigrants there like an invasive species? It's just genetic/biological/cultural/economic warfare targeted against white Americans. Got to make sure not one white city anywhere remains.

They are definitely trying to infiltrate small towns with these immigrants. Our current administration might even get a kick out of these smaller towns being primarily White and Christian, but it may have more to do with economics. The cost of living is lower in rural areas than metro. A family living on government rationed subsidies would be able to meet the lower cost of living.

Old 01-23-2016, 07:10 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
" Our American workers are not overpaid nor do they have an entitlement mentality"

IMO, union workers ARE.
How about cut off ALL immigration then? Then there might NOT be a need for unions. I'm not union but I do see the need for them because there's power in numbers and, without unions, employers CAN pick off workers fighting for their rights 1 by 1 because the employers have the power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies