Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2016, 12:34 PM

36,857 posts, read 17,269,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Please expound on your plans to prevent the rapes of infants. I'm sure you'll get some takers. After all, a sucker is born every minute. Drama Queens are born every 30 seconds.
Huh?

That's all I got there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 12:45 PM

36,857 posts, read 17,269,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
This is a good real life example. As opposed to empty rhetoric.
I'd chill with the reality talk.

I'm not the one who believes a newborn has the cognitive ability to enter into a contract.

Pinch gripping dexterity develops around 12 months. I Wonder how the baby fresh out of the womb holds the pen to sign a contract?

Maybe he/she uses a Jedi mind trick to place an "X" on the "social contract".

Old 01-23-2016, 01:07 PM

13,242 posts, read 4,888,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Huh?

That's all I got there.
This space is intentionally left blank.

Quote:
I'd chill with the reality talk.

I'm not the one who believes a newborn has the cognitive ability to enter into a contract.

Pinch gripping dexterity develops around 12 months. I Wonder how the baby fresh out of the womb holds the pen to sign a contract?

Maybe he/she uses a Jedi mind trick to place an "X" on the "social contract".
This is ridiculous. Not interested.

Old 01-23-2016, 01:56 PM

42,758 posts, read 26,015,541 times
Quote:
What about not paying claims when you have them dead to rights?
What would Paul Revere say on that one?
"The British are coming" ?

Old 01-23-2016, 02:15 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,939,974 times
Theoretically, Private Business is only in it for the execs and shareholders. Customers come in second given the trade pacts Big Business has done with Communist China and the resulting low quality crap that has flooded our markets, just so the ones in first can even get more rich.

Conversely, Government is supposed to serve the interests of all American's in accordance with the Constitution but that all went out the window in the 70's when Big Business started mass producing Lobby Groups to cater to only them at the expense to everyone else.

So now we have a government being run like a Business, but with other peoples money, where only the shareholders(Crony Capitalists) and Execs(Politicians) matter.

It is no surprise, given this arrangement that their precious Wall Street they prop up, Crony Capitalists they bail out and Politicians are all that matter and hold the lions share of the wealth in this nation.

So we have Soviet Union Style Inequality and growing rather than Capitalism based Inequality which would be nothing like it is today.

Wall Street is where the lions share of the wealth is held in the top .1%
Wall Street used to be the fuel for Main Street. Main Street can exist without Wall Street but Wall Street cannot exist without main street.
Main Street has been sacrificed for the past 30 years so that those on Wall Street can make even bigger gains.
We see it every time they create bubbles with the help of their puppet politicians or destroy companies via vulture capitalism.

The solution is to throw Banking and Big Business out of our government.

Last edited by J746NEW; 01-23-2016 at 02:29 PM..

Old 01-23-2016, 02:28 PM

957 posts, read 1,127,573 times
Usually when the public outsource stuff the next things that happen are:
1)the service gets worse
2)the bills raise up
3)both

the last one was that of mail system, now the postmen/women are always in hurry, they barely ring at your door, they just leave a ticket/paper advice and it's you that have to go to the postal office thereby wastin time, money and gasoline, to check what's up
when you enter a post office now it's full of offers (books, cd, buy this buy that) "have you bought this financial product?it's good for you" etc

I hate it, **** capitalism

Old 01-23-2016, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian (x)lurker View Post
Usually when the public outsource stuff the next things that happen are:
1)the service gets worse
2)the bills raise up
3)both

the last one was that of mail system, now the postmen/women are always in hurry, they barely ring at your door, they just leave a ticket/paper advice and it's you that have to go to the postal office thereby wastin time, money and gasoline, to check what's up
when you enter a post office now it's full of offers (books, cd, buy this buy that) "have you bought this financial product?it's good for you" etc

I hate it, **** capitalism
Why do folks think privatizing will improve service & decrease costs?

Old 01-23-2016, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
Theoretically, Private Business is only in it for the execs and shareholders. Customers come in second given the trade pacts Big Business has done with Communist China and the resulting low quality crap that has flooded our markets, just so the ones in first can even get more rich.

Conversely, Government is supposed to serve the interests of all American's in accordance with the Constitution but that all went out the window in the 70's when Big Business started mass producing Lobby Groups to cater to only them at the expense to everyone else.

So now we have a government being run like a Business, but with other peoples money, where only the shareholders(Crony Capitalists) and Execs(Politicians) matter.

It is no surprise, given this arrangement that their precious Wall Street they prop up, Crony Capitalists they bail out and Politicians are all that matter and hold the lions share of the wealth in this nation.

So we have Soviet Union Style Inequality and growing rather than Capitalism based Inequality which would be nothing like it is today.

Wall Street is where the lions share of the wealth is held in the top .1%
Wall Street used to be the fuel for Main Street. Main Street can exist without Wall Street but Wall Street cannot exist without main street.
Main Street has been sacrificed for the past 30 years so that those on Wall Street can make even bigger gains.
We see it every time they create bubbles with the help of their puppet politicians or destroy companies via vulture capitalism.

The solution is to throw Banking and Big Business out of our government.
I agree with much of what you've said here.

Unfortunately, many Americans seem to be in denial, they say things like, "I'd chill with the reality talk."

Old 01-23-2016, 02:48 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,158,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
I try to stay out of political discussions for the most part. But ocasionally I find myself getting caught up in some political debates. And my first go to solution is to privatize. This immediately ends the conversation, or I get called all sorts of idiots.

I find it odd that Americas will agree social security is a disaster, the police force is a disaster, all of our social programs are a disaster. Yet when someone talks about the power of the market, people are automatically scared.

So I ask, why is America so afraid to attempt privatization? Why do we keep looking towards government for solutions? And why do we keep trying the same "solutions" over and over again that has netted very few gains or progress?

I am all for privatization and for the disbanding of all police departments, let there only be a sheriffs office and their deputies.

Old 01-23-2016, 02:50 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,247,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
unregulated insurance, what a great idea! It's completely un-American to make an insurance company prove that they have the financial capital available to pay claims.
No it's not un-American, the issue is that you see "unregulated" to mean they don't have to prove anything, but they always have had to prove that they could meet their liabilities to their customers. That is up until insurance regulation came into being. Then they didn't need to prove anything to anyone except the regulators, and put that seal on their documents and name plaques, when asked if they could meet their liabilities they could say, oh we're a member of the NAIC, you can trust us.

Here's a question though, because police have been discussed, and insurance has been discussed. Aren't they both forms of insurance? While we all know that the police investigate crimes and pursue fugitives, isn't their real purpose to deter crime? So if they fail in that purpose wouldn't it make sense to give them some form of liability? Consider if I hire a security company to secure a warehouse, and the warehouse is robbed, and the security company failed to meet their contractual obligations which led to the robbery, I can file a loss claim from that company (or if I don't my insurer probably will). Certainly I'm never going to hire a security company that places a liability waiver in front of me releasing that company from all liability for losses incurred for the term of the contract.

Conversely I can't do that with the police (even though defacto I've paid for their protection). What do you think happens when their are budgetary costs on current police departments, have you ever noticed how suddenly there are more crimes being reported? The current model of policing is a racket, nothing more, they have zero liability for performing (they may at times be liable for criminal acts performed on duty), and they're paid for by you, but not responsible to you (Supreme Court Warren v. District of Columbia). So to put it not to finely, you pay them, they can do nothing, and you can't do a damn thing about it.

Consider if there was no police, but there was insurance, what do you think insurance companies would do to reduce their exposure? Do you think that perhaps they may provide or require a measure of security?

Indeed aren't the police intended to be a physical form of insurance? So why are they not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies