Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 11:13 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,531,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
You didn't have a problem with Washington state or any of a number of other open carry territories before TX changed its law.
Exactly right. As a Texas resident, I indeed have no problem with how how other states regulate.
In your mind, this is a problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 11:14 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,463,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
Saloon owners and dry goods purveyors have been putting these signs in their windows since the days of Wyatt Earp.
There was more gun control in Wyatt Earp's day than there is today. Wyatt enforced no open carry, no concealed carry, and check your guns at the city limit laws.

Did the Wild West Have More Gun Control Than We Do Today?

While people were allowed to have guns at home for self-protection, frontier towns usually barred anyone but law enforcement from carrying guns in public.

When Dodge City residents organized their municipal government, do you know what the very first law they passed was? A gun control law. They declared that "any person or persons found carrying concealed weapons in the city of Dodge or violating the laws of the State shall be dealt with according to law." Many frontier towns, including Tombstone, Arizona--the site of the infamous "Shootout at the OK Corral"--also barred the carrying of guns openly.

Old 01-22-2016, 12:42 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,033,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
I live in N TX and that is exactly what I've observed. In the past couple of weeks, I've seen "no concealed" and "no carry" signs at several medical facilities, including a hospital, a rehab center, an assisted living center, and a medical professional building. Previously there were no signs posted so concealed carry was allowed.
It's always been illegal to carry concealed in most medical facilities, nothing changed except you're looking for the signs.

Old 01-22-2016, 01:11 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,531,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
It's always been illegal to carry concealed in most medical facilities, nothing changed except you're looking for the signs.
I don't disagree, it's just that I'm 100% sure there were previously no signs there and now there are, it's not like we don't pay attention. As I said, DH is as law abiding as they come.
Texas Lawmaker Wants People To Be Able To Carry Guns In Hospitals | KERA News
Quote:
A few years ago, when State Rep. Drew Springer went to visit a Deputy Sheriff at Texas Health's Harris Methodist Hospital in Fort Worth, he had to leave his gun in the car.

Last edited by biscuitmom; 01-22-2016 at 01:19 AM..

Old 01-22-2016, 01:12 AM

658 posts, read 1,143,155 times
wait, of all people, gun enthusiasts in --- of all places--- Texas might not have anticipated negative consequences of their open carry laws? I'm shocked, Cotton.

Old 01-22-2016, 01:19 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
The sense is ~ Texas since 1996 has let you legally come in with your piece but the open carry nutjobs demanded the right to flaunt their pieces and screwed the pooch for us.
Concealed carry worked fine. Open carry goes to show what happens when you try to fix something that's not broke.
Fair enough...i mean, it ain't my state.

Old 01-22-2016, 03:19 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,787,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
I almost never carry open, as it marks you and invites wussy-morons to call the cops or make an issue of it.
EXACTLY!

Just ask the hundreds of people killed by Rambo cops who shot first and asked (no) questions later!

Keep in mind this thread was started based on weak blog nonsense too.

Old 01-22-2016, 04:35 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Instead of making open and concealed carry easier the new law is making it harder. I've seen more "no gun" signs going up than I saw before the new law - both 30.06 signs (no concealed carry) and 30.07 signs (no open carry).

“We have lost more than we gained,” said one frustrated poster to the online site TexasCHLforum.com, which invites discussion about concealed gun permit laws in the state. “This has woken up the ‘anti’ crowd in a big way.”

“Places that were not concerned previously are taking sides because of the recent publicity,” said another.

The “concealed” part of concealed carry may have made it easy for business owners to just not think much about who is or isn’t toting a gun.

Now, with open carry as the law, they must be explicitly clear. Anecdotally, unhappy posters at the pro-gun site Texas3006.com report a rash of businesses putting up new signs banning both concealed and open firearms.

Did Open Carry backfire on Texas gun owners? | | Dallas Morning News

List of Texas Businesses Prohibiting Open Carry Exceeds 400 | Blogs | San Antonio Current
I saw a lot of those signs in Texas even before the new law, so I can only imagine what its like now.

Old 01-22-2016, 04:38 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno Dweller View Post
Let me see if I get this correct, an armed criminal walks into a business that prohibits the carry of a gun and starts a mass shooting, then an armed good guy pulls out his weapon, fires at the bad guy and stops him, instead of being called a hero, there's a good chance he'll be arrested and charged with the violation of the law stated on the sign at the entrance that disallows open or concealed carry. That makes a lot of sense.

They should learn from past incidents where bad guys ignored the signs at the entrance and walked into gun-free zones and committed criminal acts. That's why I would stay away from such businesses.
No. Posting a "no guns" sign does not create a law, so you are not breaking a law if carry anyway.

Old 01-22-2016, 04:49 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,853,377 times
Shocking!!! Businesses in Texas don't want gun nuts in their stores. Who'da thunk it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies