Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 04:52 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,768,722 times

Advertisements

There is surrendering to civilized people and surrendering to monsters. The Arabs, like the VC, are monsters. The Persians are civilized by comparison.

Our guys were on a recon mission and their electronics forgot where they were. I do not know but presume the Iranians sent out a bigger ship that completely outgunned our boats. Surrendering was probably the best option available. It turned out to be a good decision.

FWIW - I served in the USN in Vietnam on or along the Mekong River during 1966 and 1967.

Old 01-23-2016, 04:53 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,354,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Yes, they bought the ticket, they take the ride.

I am sorry, under MY code of conduct, you NEVER SURRENDER, NEVER QUIT. I do not care the cost.

History is filled with people who surrendered and died. Had they fought against all odds, some would have lived. And if they died anyway, they died with honor, not on their knees. I will never live on my knees.

I'm sorry call me old fashioned.

And we should obliterate everything on that island. This isn't the first time they have been trouble.
Very easy to say when 3,000 miles away, safe at home, and with help only a few minutes away.

By the way… did you ever bother to "buy the ticket"? I doubt it. Your "code of conduct" proves it

I sure wanted the ride, just like everyone else I ever met who enlisted like I did, but none of us wanted the "ticket" unless they had suicidal tendencies. Going to sea offers easy suicide at any time day or night, with no enemy around anywhere.

Navy men fight to the death because that's better than all the other alternatives. There is nothing in the seas that promotes human life. Better to die fighting than drowning, or the worse; burning alive and then drowning. And even those are better than being eaten alive or slowly dying of thirst while adrift.

Old 01-23-2016, 05:04 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,196,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
So you would be more comfortable with 10 young Americans coming home in body bags?
Apparently so. It's really easy to insist on stupid, macho patriotism when it's not you or yours facing real bullets rather than written brick bats launched at you on internet opinion forums.

Old 01-23-2016, 06:22 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,529,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Part of the very basic instructions imparted to American military is compliance with the Code of Conduct. The Code of Conduct outlines various rules for civility between soldiers during times of war as mandated by the rules of the Geneva Convention. One of its most basic rules is that anyone who is captured, on either side, is obliged to give name, rank and serial number, but nothing else. This has become one of the most embarrassing incidents in U.S. military history. It's quite obvious there's more to it than meets the eye!.

Pull-EEZ!

Quote:
This is a total embarrassment to the USA. I'm sure it comes from VERY HIGH up the chain of command:

Don't Give Up The Ship | Bob Lonsberry | NewsRadio WHAM 1180

Oh boy...

Another right wing chickenhawk doling out "advice" to front line warriors.

This seems to be a widespread character flaw on the right. Draft dodgers, service avoiders, and REMFs (like Lonsberry) getting all puffed up and telling the troops how they should handle tough encounters. Laughable.

Old 01-24-2016, 12:15 PM

46,946 posts, read 25,976,294 times
Quote:

I am sorry, under MY code of conduct, you NEVER SURRENDER, NEVER QUIT. I do not care the cost.

History is filled with people who surrendered and died. Had they fought against all odds, some would have lived. And if they died anyway, they died with honor, not on their knees. I will never live on my knees.

And we should obliterate everything on that island. This isn't the first time they have been trouble.
Did your "code" ever extend to the point where you actually donned a uniform, let alone shouldered command responsibilities? I somehow doubt it.

Old 01-24-2016, 12:55 PM

39,223 posts, read 27,589,701 times
Quote:

I respect your opinion and I am not pretending to be a military expert because I am not one.

I wonder if these sailors are using some of the strategies in the art of war?

“All warfare is based on deception. Hence, when we are able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must appear inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near.”

or

“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.”

Old 01-24-2016, 12:59 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,741,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
So you would be more comfortable with 10 young Americans coming home in body bags?
What on earth are you talking about? These young men did not come home in body bags exactly because they refrained from shooting when they were apprehended where they shouldn't have been. And I think them coming home is a GOOD thing.

Old 01-24-2016, 01:03 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,473,067 times
Quote:

What's your opinion on the POW/MIA issue?

Old 01-24-2016, 01:09 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,951,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Pull-EEZ!
[/color][/font][/color]

Oh boy...

Another right wing chickenhawk doling out "advice" to front line warriors.

This seems to be a widespread character flaw on the right. Draft dodgers, service avoiders, and REMFs (like Lonsberry) getting all puffed up and telling the troops how they should handle tough encounters. Laughable.

Liberals are few in number at the VFW>

It has been my experience over the years as a combat experienced veteran that it is the liberal types that are the draft dodgers, service avoiders, and run-offs to Canada and other places to avoid the military. Get your facts straight.

Old 01-24-2016, 01:29 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,644,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Liberals are few in number at the VFW>

It has been my experience over the years as a combat experienced veteran that it is the liberal types that are the draft dodgers, service avoiders, and run-offs to Canada and other places to avoid the military. Get your facts straight.
Interesting. How did you differentiate between the liberal types and the conservative types? Did you interview all of them? Were they issued different colored uniforms?

During the last draft, I would bet more conservatives enrolled in college, or shot one of their toes off, or got medical/psychological deferments than liberals went to Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies