Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 06:44 PM

38,625 posts, read 26,307,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I've never had a problem legally buying or using any of my guns, including my Smith and Wesson handgun...

Granted we do not have as many guns in Canada as in the US, but Canadians generally own guns for hunting, not protection...We are not nearly as paranoid as those to the south of us.

Too bad, because if someone had a gun, they could have stopped this individual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 06:44 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,483,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Nice try. I've seen Americans do this trick when trying to save face on these forums. Don't like a stat, remove the offending piece that makes that stat not fit what you want, and presto !

You are basically saying " well the US wouldn't have so many gun deaths and murders if it weren't for gun deaths and murders"
Oh, is this a game? I wasn't aware. I guess we ought to back it up then and question why the hell American gun deaths are all *you* want to talk about in a thread about a tragic Canadian shooting. You came in swinging with a "oh look, there's Elvis!" obfuscation move that made your intention here pretty clear. How about you save face and stay on topic, eh?

Old 01-24-2016, 06:51 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,075,409 times
Quote:
Norway is high because of that massacre in 2011. I'm curious where it would be on the list now.

This list is very incomplete, but claiming things are not so bad because 5 countries on that list are above the US is faulty in my opinion. Where would the US be if all countries were on that list?

Look at the murder rates in countries worldwide. Look at the amount of gun deaths per country worldwide, including accidental and suicides, then tell me that things are fine in the US.

Canada actually has 35 million people, so of course the numbers will be less, but per capita is what counts.
There's no doubt that it all depends on how you look at the numbers. However, if you removed the gun crime linked to drugs, and gang violence, the US would drop way down the list. If you aren't a drug dealer, or a gang member, the US is much safer than most countries.

Also, if you factor in the gun ownership per capita into the equation, the US would also be way down on the list.

Old 01-24-2016, 06:56 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,459,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
There's no doubt that it all depends on how you look at the numbers. However, if you removed the gun crime linked to drugs, and gang violence, the US would drop way down the list. If you aren't a drug dealer, or a gang member, the US is much safer than most countries.

Also, if you factor in the gun ownership per capita into the equation, the US would also be way down on the list.
...and if criminals worked in a bubble that would make it all fine and dandy. However if the US gets to remove criminal gun crime linked to drugs and gang violence, then the other countries can to. So it really won't help, since you will still have the higher stats in the US of accidental gun deaths and suicides.

Old 01-24-2016, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post

This is the same point that I attempted to make before being told I was denying truth to 'save face'. On the contrary, I see plenty of Americans in this thread taking an honest view of our gun violence problem. I don't see any denial here - just a breakdown of the type of gun murders that raise our numbers so high. There's nothing dishonest about the fact that gang violence accounts for a large percentage of our gun deaths here.

Old 01-24-2016, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootingforthesun View Post
Exactly. That poster said Canada has more mega churches than the U.S? is he off his rocker. None exist in Canada at all. Religion is not relevant here at all, most people don't believe in a God (how anyone could in this day in age with an I.Q above 100 is beyond me?). We are less like Americans than they give us credit for, which isn't a surprise as they know literally nothing about us.
You shouldn't speak on behalf of Canadians. They are good people who don't deserve you acting as their spokesman. You aren't doing them right at all.

Old 01-24-2016, 07:02 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,459,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
Oh, is this a game? I wasn't aware. I guess we ought to back it up then and question why the hell American gun deaths are all *you* want to talk about in a thread about a tragic Canadian shooting. You came in swinging with a "oh look, there's Elvis!" obfuscation move that made your intention here pretty clear. How about you save face and stay on topic, eh?
Talking about the rarity of such events was posted by me because you posted about a shooting in Toronto.
I took that post by you to mean, that shootings are common in Canada. You being American ( which I assume by your moniker ) would obviously be posting by what you experience in the US.
Me pointing that out, was the natural flow.
However, you're right, it is getting off topic....but I can attest to many threads on CD that as soon as a shooting happens in Canada, many Americans offer condolences, and many more others come here to shout that
gun controls don't work.

Old 01-24-2016, 07:03 PM

77,013 posts, read 47,481,489 times
Quote:
Exactly. That poster said Canada has more mega churches than the U.S? is he off his rocker. None exist in Canada at all. Religion is not relevant here at all, most people don't believe in a God (how anyone could in this day in age with an I.Q above 100 is beyond me?). We are less like Americans than they give us credit for, which isn't a surprise as they know literally nothing about us.
We like to watch a Canadian pastor. He is very good. He runs a mega-church in Toronto.

Old 01-24-2016, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Talking about the rarity of such events was posted by me because you posted about a shooting in Toronto.
I took that post by you to mean, that shootings are common in Canada. You being American ( which I assume by your moniker ) would obviously be posting by what you experience in the US.
Me pointing that out, was the natural flow.
However, you're right, it is getting off topic....but I can attest to many threads on CD that as soon as a shooting happens in Canada, many Americans offer condolences, and many more others come here to shout that
gun controls don't work.
Let's break this down.

Poster says shootings don't occur in Toronto.

I point out that one occurred just last night.

You arrive and defensively posture.

I question why you feel the need to do so.

You change the subject again ... now about what you TOOK from my post, and how other threads here operate.

None of this has anything to do with the topic at hand and if you want to make this personal and take petty potshots like this is a game then I'll just assume you are too emotional to share a rational discussion and just stop responding to you.

Old 01-24-2016, 07:14 PM

Quote:
What do you know about us "good people"? did you know the majority of us are big city dwellers and well educated with no thought towards religion or guns.
Why would you assume that Americans either know nothing about or feel so poorly about Canadians? Why is it such a personal thing with you? You sound incredibly insecure, and seem under the impression that Americans all share an air of superiority and idea that Canadians are all bumpkins. You really couldn't be more wrong. You won't be able to ever have a discussion with Americans with that great big chip on your shoulder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies