Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 09:25 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,792,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
and have all their paperwork in order.
Yep! Then is is "gun-o-rama" for these immigrants in the US!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 09:26 AM

4,899 posts, read 3,550,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Yep! Then is is "gun-o-rama" for these immigrants in the US!
you know buying a gun isn't like buying a sweater, right?
or maybe you do think that. no surprise there.

Old 01-24-2016, 09:27 AM

26,212 posts, read 19,502,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
The purpose of the 2nd Amendment in the US, given we are a nation born out of a violent revolution secured through firearms, is to permit citizens to use firearms as a means of final resort to deal with a tyranical government.

Europe has been, for the most part, disarmed. I wonder if the citizens of Europe, given the massive influx of Muslims foiseted upon them by thier "leaders" (despite thier objections), now wish they had firearms?

Tyrants love to disarm nations (see Hitler, Stalin, Castro, Pol Pot, Mao), thus preventing citizens from ultimately rising against them.

Perhaps there will be an increase in the appreciation for the Amercian 2nd amendment in Europe and a realization that an armed nation is the only thing that liberal politicians actually fear.
Yea, I'm sure Europe longs for a level of gun violence found in the United States.

Old 01-24-2016, 09:27 AM

Quote:
you know buying a gun isn't like buying a sweater, right?
or maybe you do think that. no surprise there.
What would be the hold up?

Old 01-24-2016, 09:42 AM

Quote:
What would be the hold up?
it's different in every state. it's also different for long guns and handguns.

in NC for example, to buy a handgun, you need to fill out a 4 page federal form called a 4473. You must have 1 Gov't issued picture ID that matches the address you put on the form. You have to pass a federal firearms background check conducted by the FBI, which states that you're buying from a licensed dealer (FFL).

None of this info is top secret. If you're familiar with Google, you can find it for your state.

https://www.atf.gov/questions-and-answers/firearms-qas

Old 01-24-2016, 09:46 AM

Quote:
it's different in every state. it's also different for long guns and handguns.

in NC for example, to buy a handgun, you need to fill out a 4 page federal form called a 4473. You must have 1 Gov't issued picture ID that matches the address you put on the form. You have to pass a federal firearms background check conducted by the FBI, which states that you're buying from a licensed dealer (FFL).

None of this info is top secret. If you're familiar with Google, you can find it for your state.

https://www.atf.gov/questions-and-answers/firearms-qas

No need to go through all of that you listed. Simply check out at the local gun show and walk out with a gun immediately, no questions asked.

Quote:
Known as the "gun show loophole," most states do not require background checks for firearms purchased at gun shows from private individuals -- federal law only requires licensed dealers to conduct checks.

Under the Gun Control Act of 1968, federal law clearly defined private sellers as anyone who sold no more than four firearms per year. But the 1986 Firearm Owners Protection Act lifted that restriction and loosely defined private sellers as people who do not rely on gun sales as the principal way of obtaining their livelihood.
Gun Show Background Checks State Laws

Old 01-24-2016, 09:49 AM

401 posts, read 649,247 times
I'm European (French) and that's not gonna happen 'cause the wild west mentality "I have to protect my farm with my shotgun (but instead my child shoots himself with it)" doesn't exist here in civilized land

Old 01-24-2016, 09:56 AM

Quote:
No need to go through all of that you listed. Simply check out at the local gun show and walk out with a gun immediately, no questions asked.

Gun Show Background Checks State Laws
you have never once tried to buy a gun. you are just parroting back talking points.

"There is no gun show "loophole." Since 1938, any person "engaged in the business of selling firearms" must register with the federal government. In 1968 all such persons were required to obtain a federal firearms license. Since 1998, dealers have been required to submit all prospective gun buyers to a National Instant Check System (NICS) background check conducted by the FBI or a state agency. This requirement applies at gun shows and all other locations, all of the time."

Gun Show Loophole

0.7% of guns purchased at a gun show were used in a crime, according to the bureau of justice statistics. It's already against federal law for felons to enter a gun show. Have you ever been to one? they're full of cops and BATF agents.

http://bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/fuo.pdf

go out today and try to buy one from Bass Pro shops, Cabella's, etc. You'll see for yourself what goes into the process. wouldn't you like to find out for yourself rather than read propaganda?

Or will you reply in less than 3 minutes to this post with another canner copy/paste job ready to go?

Old 01-24-2016, 09:58 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,243,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryever View Post
I'm European (French) and that's not gonna happen 'cause the wild west mentality "I have to protect my farm with my shotgun (but instead my child shoots himself with it)" doesn't exist here in civilized land
What you are saying is that you lack the willpower to teach your child responsibility for some reason, which is a very European thing to do since the mentallity is that government provides for everything. You are a sad archetype of everything that is wrong with Europe.

Old 01-24-2016, 10:01 AM

3,697 posts, read 4,839,365 times
Quote:
Or just marry a US citizen.
That doesn't automatically get a green card and resident status. All that does is push ones "priority level" up on the waiting list to 6 month's or so (whatever the wait is this year). Then the interviewing and background checks start so there is still no guarantee.

Wife went through it a few years ago. As far as guns, since she is a legal US resident, she can own one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies