Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2016, 02:22 PM

2,172 posts, read 1,453,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I just don't understand why someone with that type of personality would put himself in that position to begin with but then again he is crazy, people with federal government paranoia taking over a federal facility, weird.
His family struggles with this too.

Quote:
“He’s had his problems, some of which he’s brought on himself,” his paternal grandfather, William Fry, told OPB. “He gets pulled over for busted taillights, and instead of just rolling down his window and handing over his insurance, he screams at the officer, ‘What the [expletive] do you want?’ And right there, a regular thing turns into him in handcuffs.”

Fry’s anger, often directed at authority, resulted in a strained relationship with his own father, William “Bill” Fry Jr. A former Marine, Bill Fry told OPB he had a “tough time” talking to his son about a host of subjects — most notably, politics.

“We used to both be Tea Party guys,” Fry Jr. said. “But we would argue even about that. I would always say ‘ballots over bullets’ and he would get real mad, and we couldn’t talk. He believes it.”
How A Digital Friendship Created An Unlikely Holdout

Old 02-11-2016, 02:32 PM

13,242 posts, read 4,919,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Maybe Cliven will get the thousands of ranchers who have been paying the (>80%) less than market rate grazing fees for their own ranches to pay the grazing fees he refused to pay for his ranch for over 20 years?

After all, why should he pay? That way is for other folks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Where do you see this? You people are asking us for links, where is yours on these ranchers? Please provide something not labeled government.org. ...
This is just one source, dated April 15, 2014:

"The Feds may have set a troubling precedent by allowing a Nevada rancher and his band of armed followers to win a standoff with the U.S. Bureau of Land Management. The rancher refused to pay more than $1 million in fines for letting his cows graze on government land

...Nearly all ranchers whose animals graze on public land are in compliance with federal statutes, Abbey says. But “there always is a chance that someone else may look at what happened with Mr. Bundy and decided to take a similar route.” ...

...Bundy “would probably rather be a martyr than a profitable rancher,” says Shea, the former BLM director. “Eventually, you have to draw the line. We go through these sad episodes where fanaticism has to be brought under legal control. And inevitably, somebody is killed.” ..."

Cliven Bundy Nevada Cattle Ranch Rebellion Against BLM

It seems sortof prescient considering the recent debacle.

Old 02-11-2016, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epliny View Post
As it has been all along under this administration .. Selective enforcement.
Where were the OWS arrests?

Or Ferguson or ...
Re: OWS arrests
There have been at least 7,775 Arrests in 122 different cities (As of June 24, 2014). Details here:

http://occupyarrests.moonfruit.com

Old 02-11-2016, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post
This is what happens when far right wing rhetoric is soaked up by a mentally ill person. If he dies, his blood will be on the hands of Bundy, Fiore, Fox News, et al. He is not all there, this is so sad.
I wholeheartedly agree - this is very sad. Maybe this guy will get the mental health therapy/treatment et cetera he so obviously requires.

Old 02-11-2016, 02:51 PM

1,166 posts, read 754,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
How about that. Looks like I was wrong about Blaine Cooper. They locked him up in Utah this morning.

Occupier Blaine Cooper arrested in Utah | OregonLive.com

It doesn't mean that you were wrong. It is common for LEO to get "arrested" to keep their covers intact. I believe that both Blaine Cooper and Ritzheimer are working for the feds. They appear too neat, clean and fit compared to their fellow militants.

Old 02-11-2016, 02:53 PM

991 posts, read 628,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddATX View Post
There were hundreds of them actually ... so either you are intentionally misleading or grossly misinformed. Either way, do better next time ...
Actually there were thousands.

My question should have been .. how many served time on criminal charges?
(Or killed)

Quote:
But were many Occupy protesters actually convicted of criminal activity?

Of the 2,812 arrests recorded by the National Lawyers Guild in New York, 49 were convicted of minor crimes, or, less than two percent.
Which means about 98 percent of the time someone in the “99 percent” movement was arrested, they weren’t prosecuted and found guilty by the courts.
As you can see, the guy killed by the feds (LaVoy) and the handful occupying an obscure building were a bigger threat!

Old 02-11-2016, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Many locals besides Native Americans live there. Many ranchers are supporting the cause, but not the take over of the refuge. Cliven Bundy was not for the take over of the refuge, until they killed LaVoy and arrested his son's with out charging them........as of today no official charges as been presented to Ammon or the others. Ammon was not allowed in court to listen to charges possibly being charged against him. Is this lawful, to not be able to attend ones own court hearing to hear what charges one is facing?
Cliven Bundy said Mr. Finicum was sacrificed for a good purpose:

“We believe that those federal people shouldn’t even be there in that state, and be in that county and have anything to do with this issue. … I have some sons and other people there trying to protect our rights and liberties and freedoms, and now we’ve got one killed, and all I can say is, he’s sacrificed for a good purpose,” Mr. Bundy said."
Seven Oregon occupation leaders arrested; one dead and one injured - LA Times

Old 02-11-2016, 02:55 PM

677 posts, read 652,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
I wholeheartedly agree - this is very sad. Maybe this guy will get the mental health therapy/treatment et cetera he so obviously requires.
I work heavily hand-in-hand with mental health professionals in my field, and honestly, I don't know that there is help for someone like David Fry. Its not just the mental issues, but when those become so explosively and deeply ingrained with violent propaganda as they so clearly have in his instance. I don't care how much help you get him, I don't ever see him overcoming it to become a functioning member of society.

Last edited by ToddATX; 02-11-2016 at 03:08 PM..

Old 02-11-2016, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epliny View Post
Actually there were thousands.

My question should have been .. how many served time on criminal charges?
(Or killed)

As you can see, the guy killed by the feds (LaVoy) and the handful occupying an obscure building were a bigger threat!
This page has links for each of the 7,775 arrests in OWS movement:

OccupyArrests.com - Sources. How many have been arrested during Occupy protests

Old 02-11-2016, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddATX View Post
I heavily hand-in-hand with mental health professionals in my field, and honestly, I don't know that there is help for someone like David Fry. Its not just the mental issues, but when those become so explosively and deeply ingrained with violent propaganda as they so clearly have in his instance. I don't care how much help you get him, I don't ever see him overcoming it to become a functioning member of society.
Agreed, however this makes it sadder still.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies