U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 08:56 AM

41,505 posts, read 49,742,496 times

Advertisements

A draft is a good idea only if there is no way for anyone to avoid the call with such things as student deferments and all the other ways the owners of the American overseas empire managed to avoid having their children fight for it.

In the feudal times the aristocracy was expected to show up for the fight as well as call for the war. I doubt if this will ever happen again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 11:07 AM

4 posts, read 2,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FistFightingHairdresser View Post
Hi,

Do we reinstate the draft? It's really a question of the kind of military we want to put in the field. If you want military service to be (somewhat) fairly shared by all members of society, by all means reinstate the draft. If you want a military that is well-trained, well-disciplined and capable of outfighting the enemy, the last thing you want is a draft.

The problem is you can't have both an effective and egalitarian military. The best soldier is a motivated soldier. Unless they feel they are defending their very livelihood, you can't bulid a motivated army out of a population of people you involuntarily put under arms.

If our military's only responsibility were to defend US territory, I think you could have an effective army built through a draft. But as a tool of corporate strategy, the only way the US can field a military capable of it's mission is to make solidering financially attractive to volunteers.

This is not true in the least. My Grandfather was drafted into service in world war two. He had dreams and didn want anything to do with the war. But he was drafted. he met people from round the country. they got along all throughout training. they shiped out now if what you have said is correct then he would've been demoralized and broken. but no he was not. he fought just as hard as those who voulntered. he fougt as hard if not harder than those voulnteers! i belive we need a draft because in the forties we had over 2 million men and woman serving. now we have but a mere 9 million. true we hae better everything but 1 person can only carry so much. now my grandfather went and he fought in the european theater. i dont know where exactly because he doesnt like to talk about it much. but the point is that even if yo were forced to fight you have a tendency to fight just as hard. i remember he once told me that he was not fighting for himself. and he was willing to fight only partly for his country. but mostly for his newfound friends. he wanted them to make it home as much as he wanted to get back himself. now they coulda shot themselves in the foot and been sent back but they stayed and toughed it out. he fought and got the purple heart and other meadles whc i cant recall whic they were at this time. but he and a decent number of his friends mad it home. he was drafted and fought with all his heart for his friends and for his country. so no what you have said is not ture in the least.

Old 06-07-2007, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
I'm not sure that reinstituting a draft would help. Yes, it would relieve the volunteer troops who've been involuntarily extended in their missions and possibly allow "Stop-Loss" to be discontinued, but... I think one of the reasons we haven't seen widespread protests and college riots, etc. with the Iraq war (besides the fact that the basis for the war is different than Vietnam), is because the people fighting it signed up knowing they would most likely be sent. So far, the people on the line have signed up voluntarily, that makes it a different issue than conscription. I think if we have a draft, it's not going to put any more Congressmen's sons or daughters in harms way as they'll find their traditional loopholes to avoid service. And, since we last had a draft, women now fight in combat...are we going to draft them too? Is that even on the table? Should it be? I think it's a big mess waiting to happen if they try. When it comes to our enemies...why don't we stop trying to occupy these countries and instead blow the F@@K out of them and let them pick themselves up when it's over. We would have accomplished the same thing in Iraq had we truly used our power, snagged Hussein, then left. If it comes to blows with Iran, forget about occupying them, just erase the b@@@@@@ds.

now i hink we need a draft but we need it because we ae relying to much on technology. in the 40s we had over 20 million mena in service now we have fewer than 9 million. that is why i think we need a draft and it should be cut and plain so that no one can get around it (ie. congressmen and other people of power). now as for everything else you said about blowin them to dust. i must agree COMPLETLY! we drag it out way to much when we could mearly turn 'em into a smolderin crater.

Old 06-07-2007, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Hi,

As I recall Germany was one of those countries that had the F@@K blown out of it and was left to pick itself up after WWI. We saw what happened after that.
get it right! we did help them after wwI and after WWII and they had the F@@K blown outta them more in WWII

Old 06-07-2007, 03:51 PM

1,393 posts, read 2,494,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander59 View Post
The draft scares me,but so many hours of community service for young people would be a good idea, or for that matter for everyone. Congress does not send thier sons and daughters off to war. I would like to see how many daughters and sons of congress men and women are serving in the military.
When I was in the Army in the 60's one of their sons was in the same unit I was..We had the draft then.....

Old 06-07-2007, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Hi,

Do we reinstate the draft? It's really a question of the kind of military we want to put in the field. If you want military service to be (somewhat) fairly shared by all members of society, by all means reinstate the draft. If you want a military that is well-trained, well-disciplined and capable of outfighting the enemy, the last thing you want is a draft.

The problem is you can't have both an effective and egalitarian military. The best soldier is a motivated soldier. Unless they feel they are defending their very livelihood, you can't bulid a motivated army out of a population of people you involuntarily put under arms.

If our military's only responsibility were to defend US territory, I think you could have an effective army built through a draft. But as a tool of corporate strategy, the only way the US can field a military capable of it's mission is to make solidering financially attractive to volunteers.
And when did you last serve this country and what branch of the military was that ?

Old 06-07-2007, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Thanks for clarifying the obvious, but you missed the rhetorical point of my post: blowing the F@@K out of people rarely means problem solved.
If I remember it solved our problem with Japan.

Old 06-12-2007, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanborn View Post
If I remember it solved our problem with Japan.

it solved the problem with japan it gradualy solved the problem with germany as well. gradualy because we were using smaller bombs that mabe much less of a boom! but we droped a whole lot more of them so i guess it all works out in the end.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:34 AM

9,616 posts, read 17,770,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander59 View Post
The draft scares me,but so many hours of community service for young people would be a good idea, or for that matter for everyone. Congress does not send thier sons and daughters off to war. I would like to see how many daughters and sons of congress men and women are serving in the military.
As far as i know no immediate relatives of congress will serve in the war. I could be wrong though but i doubt it.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:46 AM

7,940 posts, read 7,326,758 times
Old thread alert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies