Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2016, 03:01 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,146,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
This cycle is no natural, these types of temperature changes are not natural and very few species thrive on increased acidity and warmer oceans. You are in total denial, why not read some scientific publications instead of fake science sites.

Salmon starving amid global warming may trigger fishing ban in Washington and Oregon

Assuming your article is even valid, from your so called research paper below. So some sea stars increase their growth rate, well worth the destruction of all the salmon and shellfish, great news. Nothing like eating a good sea star!
I would like a link that proves that these two things could possibly be linked.

Remember - I have taught college-level chemistry and physics for over 2 decades, and I know that gas solubility (i.e. CO2) decreases with an increased temperature. If the ocean temps are rising, then the amount of dissolved CO2 in them must decrease! And since it is the CO2 reacting with H2O making H2CO3 (carbonic acid - the same weak acid contained in sodas), then the pH would actually increase towards alkalinity (basic pH) - not an increase in the acidity.

You have two conflicting points of basic chemistry here - you can't have an increase in dissolved CO2 in the oceans (thus an increase in acidity) and an increase in temperature - unless the CO2 is coming from sources other than an increased partial pressure from the surface (i.e. man) - like vents from the incompletely explored ocean floor.

Again - not saying we shouldn't clean up our act, but I actually do have the scientific background to know when I'm hearing BS thrown at me to scare some reaction out of me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2016, 03:04 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreazon View Post
Do you not understand what El Ninõ means
https://twitter.com/RyanMaue/status/709440419403309056
Of course she does, but do you know how little the current El Nino is affecting global temperatures?

Even without El Niño, 2015 would have been a record warm year, but climate scientists believe El Niño was responsible for 8 percent to 10 percent of the warming. Gavin Schmidt, director of the NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies, estimated that El Niño accounted for 0.07˚C of the above average warming that occurred in 2015. Adam Scaife, head of long-range prediction at the U.K.'s Meteorological Office, expects that El Niño will contribute 25 percent of new record global temperatures in 2016.

Read more at: El Nino and global warming

Old 03-21-2016, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
“If you want to keep your head in the sand, that’s up to you."
I have probably forgotten more science than you've ever learned. I've taught & researched it for more than 2 decades. I know what the numbers can mean - more importantly, I know how they can be made to say anything a researcher wants them to say.

I know the history of science, as well. And from that, I know that the "scientific consensus" has been wrong so many times in the past, it would be painful to count. I know that many of these errors have occurred from an incomplete data base, or a misunderstanding of the (at the time) current understanding of the topic.

And I also know that some of these errors were politically- (or religiously-) based. And if you knew anything of the history of science, you would know that, too. And thus you would know that many a policy was based on this, simply because it was more amenable to do so at the time, due to the way the political/religious winds blew.

So my point on this topic - as I've stated many time before, and which you continue to completely ignore, as it goes against what you want to believe about those contrary to your opinion - is that would need to get off oil, need to clean up our act, and we need to spend more effort on alternative energy sources.

But don't give me this bovine excrement in attempts to "scare" me to your way of thinking.

In other words, “If you want to keep your head in the sand, that’s up to you."

Hypocrite.

Old 03-21-2016, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman71 View Post
I would like a link that proves that these two things could possibly be linked.

Remember - I have taught college-level chemistry and physics for over 2 decades, and I know that gas solubility (i.e. CO2) decreases with an increased temperature. If the ocean temps are rising, then the amount of dissolved CO2 in them must decrease! And since it is the CO2 reacting with H2O making H2CO3 (carbonic acid - the same weak acid contained in sodas), then the pH would actually increase towards alkalinity (basic pH) - not an increase in the acidity.

You have two conflicting points of basic chemistry here - you can't have an increase in dissolved CO2 in the oceans (thus an increase in acidity) and an increase in temperature - unless the CO2 is coming from sources other than an increased partial pressure from the surface (i.e. man) - like vents from the incompletely explored ocean floor.

Again - not saying we shouldn't clean up our act, but I actually do have the scientific background to know when I'm hearing BS thrown at me to scare some reaction out of me.
Ok then Mr self proclaimed expert, please explain the graphs on this site. https://www3.epa.gov/climatechange/s...s/acidity.html

https://www3.epa.gov/climatechange/s...s/acidity.html

Old 03-21-2016, 03:12 PM

46,259 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Quote:
“If you want to keep your head in the sand, that’s up to you."

No, many look at a lot...or are you denying what I wrote in another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Popular Technology.net: 1970s Global Cooling Alarmism

So sad, you don't even know:

Don't like the link I Provided, there are 50 - 100 other links at the bottom of that page, all you have to do is prove them wrong.

And here is another:

^^^^^ Notice how this quote sounds eerily like what is being said in this thread....

Forbes Welcome

And here is walter cronkite...don't like my quote, go watch the video....

Flashback: In 1972, Cronkite Warned of 'New Ice Age' - Breitbart

Shall I provide more? Or is all this false information also? It never happened and nobody ever said anything about global cooling....
Less than 50 years ago, it was global cooling....

Old 03-21-2016, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman71 View Post
I have probably forgotten more science than you've ever learned. I've taught & researched it for more than 2 decades. I know what the numbers can mean - more importantly, I know how they can be made to say anything a researcher wants them to say.

So my point on this topic - as I've stated many time before, and which you continue to completely ignore, as it goes against what you want to believe about those contrary to your opinion - is that would need to get off oil, need to clean up our act, and we need to spend more effort on alternative energy sources.

But don't give me this bovine excrement in attempts to "scare" me to your way of thinking.

In other words, “If you want to keep your head in the sand, that’s up to you."

Hypocrite.
For a scientist you know very little regarding ocean absorption of CO2 and how it's affecting sea life.

Here educate yourself.... Ocean Acidification | Smithsonian Ocean Portal

http://serc.carleton.edu/eslabs/carbon/7a.html

Old 03-21-2016, 03:24 PM

Quote:

Not true at all.

http://science.time.com/2013/06/06/s...oming-ice-age/

Last edited by sanspeur; 03-21-2016 at 03:32 PM..

Old 03-21-2016, 03:27 PM

46,259 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Quote:
Not true at all.
Of course, those 1000's of people who are quoted, never said it....

Old 03-21-2016, 03:34 PM

Quote:

1970s ice age predictions were predominantly media based. The majority of peer reviewed research at the time predicted warming due to increasing CO2.

Old 03-21-2016, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Ok then Mr self proclaimed expert, please explain the graphs on this site. https://www3.epa.gov/climatechange/s...s/acidity.html

https://www3.epa.gov/climatechange/s...s/acidity.html

No $hit, Sherlock... Did I not just say that if they are occurring - which is hard to deny - then the sources could/must be elsewhere?

If the CO2 is rising up from the ocean floor, then this will, of course, affect an increased acidity (from an increased CO2 concentration) - until it leaves into the atmosphere once it reaches the surface of the ocean.

The two are not mutually exclusive - or don't you understand the science behind it?

1. increased solvent temperatures (i.e. the ocean) decrease the solubility of gases within it. This is a given that anyone opening a soda and leaving it for a few hours knows.
  2. an increase in acidity means an increase in H2CO3 - formed from H2O and CO2.
  3. But since the increasing ocean temps would decrease the amount of CO2 that could maintain solubility in the oceans, then this contradiction must be solved. And one of the more overlooked aspects of it would be CO2 from ocean vents - not from the partial pressure of CO2 on the ocean surface (i.e. from what man puts out into the atmosphere).
Even my less-than-stellar students have even asked me about this completely obvious contradiction. If the ocean temps prevent the CO2 from staying in to increase the acidity - and, yes, the data on that is obvious, and I've never discounted it - then other means must be looked at. Like the ocean vents, which are not all accounted for, which do provide a wonderful source of CO2 (and SO2, which does the same thing, BTW) to keep the pH of the oceans more acidic until the gases reach the warmer surface and leave... into the atmosphere.

Your links did nothing to explain any of that.

Can you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies