Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2016, 11:03 AM

29,522 posts, read 19,620,154 times

Advertisements

https://twitter.com/Reportingclimat/...32938587148288
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2016, 01:13 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
I thought you said fresh water and salt water don't mix.

If so, you have nothing to worry about.

Old 05-19-2016, 01:17 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
What the hell is wrong with you? When are you going to accept that the climate is changing and because of that there will be serious repercussions? You claim to be a scientist, but nobody believes that because of your ridiculous posts.

I was a commercial fisherman and docked my boat in an inlet that had a river running into it. There was several feet of fresh water on the surface...This prevented sea life, like barnacles and mussels from growing on my boat....

It is far past time for you to admit that you are wrong about this issue, but from what I have seen, you are one of those people that cannot ever admit that you are wrong about anything...

When fresh water and saltwater meet in an estuary, they do not always mix very readily. Because fresh water flowing into the estuary is less salty and less dense than water from the ocean, it often floats on top of the heavier seawater....
NOAA's National Ocean Service Education: Estuaries
"I was a commercial fisherman......................"

I understand. This clarifies that you have no formal training in any scientific field.

If you really believe that salt water and fresh water do not mix, you are beyond hope and cannot rationally participate in any discussion regarding "science", as you would be disqualified due to lack of even basic physics and chemistry.

It is amusing that those on this board with no scientific trainging whatsoever are the most rabid AGW promoters.

Old 05-19-2016, 01:52 PM

3,792 posts, read 2,385,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I thought you said fresh water and salt water don't mix.

If so, you have nothing to worry about.
The point was that dumping large amounts of fresh water into the North Atlantic will tend to limit heat transport from the equator to the arctic. Ice age, that is something to worry about.

Old 05-19-2016, 02:40 PM

3,792 posts, read 2,385,439 times
Quote:
If you really believe that salt water and fresh water do not mix, you are beyond hope and cannot rationally participate in any discussion regarding "science", as you would be disqualified due to lack of even basic physics and chemistry.
How long does it take for the salt in the brine to find its way back to the fresh water formed by freezing in the videos I posted?

That is a science question.

You talk of equilibration, But what is the rate of equilibration Vs. the rate of fresh water addition? What is the rate of mixing vs. the rate of fresh water addition?

Quote:
Fresh water has a higher freezing point than salt water (this is why they salt the roads in the winter). If one released massive amounts of freshwater (which is impossible in any quantities, unless both poles were devoid of ice), the freezing point would be raised and we would have more ice. Isn't that what you want? More ice?
Jakobshavn Has sped up substantially from 2000 until now.
Jakobshavn Isbræ / Ilulissat Isfjord / West Greenland

It is far from the new equilibrium stability point as far as ice flow and retreat goes.

Zachariae Isstrøm / Nioghalvfjerdsfjorden / North East Greenland

Zacharie is accelerating as it has lost its ice tongue.

Petermann Gletscher / Petermann Fjord / North West Greenland

Petermann isn't under as much stress currently.

Last year Jakobshavn had a calving event that was 2.1 cubic miles of ice. That was over a 48 hr time span between satellite photos. It is about 30,000 cubic miles of water per foot of sea level rise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAupJzH31tc

This video shows what I'm talking about if you look at it.

The ice on top of the water limits the heat transfer to the much colder air above the ice. Enough ice or fresh water will limit the heat transfer from the equator to the poles.

Quote:

------ we should do nothing. We need to definitively satisfy the above criterion before embarking upon "curative" measures which may really harm the planet. Rash, irrational measures to combat CO2, without definitive evidence of an absolute danger to the planet, is reckless and shows complete contempt for the ecology and well being of the planet.
Or (their argument) releasing large amounts of CO2 into the atmosphere without an understanding of what it will do is reckless and shows a complete contempt for the ecology and well being of the planet.

You do understand the absurdity of your position don't you?

Old 05-19-2016, 02:43 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
That is a fairly dramatic increase over 2014 and 2016 is predicted to be even hotter. Also 5 of the warmest years on record in the last 10 years.
Actually, the hottest year on record occurred 900 years ago. But keep trying.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:57 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Actually, the hottest year on record occurred 900 years ago. But keep trying.
LOL...Who do you think was keeping records 900 years ago? The first thermometer was thought to have been invented in 1612.

Friday, May 20, 2016, 10:13 AM - India has hit an all-time hottest temperature record of 51C in the city of Phalodi.
The deadly heat wave has spread across much of northern India, where temperatures have topped 40C for several weeks. It has already killed hundreds of people and destroyed thousands of crops in over 13 states. News - India sets hottest temperature record amid deadly heat wave - The Weather Network

Deniers like to say that drought has not worsened...Tell that to people in Asia.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/12/homepa...ought-el-nino/

Last edited by sanspeur; 05-20-2016 at 09:06 PM..

Old 05-20-2016, 09:54 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,118,333 times
Quote:

I understand. This clarifies that you have no formal training in any scientific field.

I can't believe you can't follow what they are saying....

They aren't saying it doesn't mix... Or maybe you are doing this on purpose....

Quote:
It is amusing that those on this board with no scientific trainging whatsoever are the most rabid AGW promoters.
It's amusing that those who claim the most scientific training seem to think we are in any danger of emitting too little CO2 and is worried about the precious plants.

Old 05-20-2016, 10:18 PM

Quote:

How about you educate yourself, instead of pounding your head and chest and claiming that you are the greatest scientist that ever walked the earth...If you were you wouldn't be constantly wrong....

As for your slam about me being a commercial fisherman, the fact is that I know a hell of a lot more than you do about estuaries, tides and how salt and fresh water behave....That is called practical knowledge gained by experience, but you seem to discount that altogether.

I did not say that salt and fresh water never mix...You just make stuff up and lie about what other posters say....

Here educate yourself regarding the mixing of salt and fresh water...
Quote:
When fresh water and saltwater meet in an estuary, they do not always mix very readily. Because fresh water flowing into the estuary is less salty and less dense than water from the ocean, it often floats on top of the heavier seawater.
NOAA's National Ocean Service Education: Estuaries

Old 05-20-2016, 10:33 PM

Previously unknown problems that may be connected to global warming keep popping up...

Global warming may be taking a toll on human lives, such as low-income farmers in hot, rural tropical regions, Colorado-based scientists have found.
The problem is dehydration, which leads to kidney problems. Kidneys filter toxins and other waste out of blood.
"There's warming in the same areas where we're seeing kidney disease increases," said Henry Diaz, a longtime National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration climate scientist who co-authored a study published this week.

"We're warming the planet," Rajagopalan said. "It's going to come back and bite us in many ways. Unfortunately, the effect is felt much more severely in these poorer countries in tropical regions."

Colorado scientists: Global warming taking human toll - The Denver Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies