Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 07:56 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,516,836 times

Advertisements

So now they are going after quotes from Martin Luther King posted around campus, because they are not inclusive enough. You really, truly cannot make this stuff up.

Quote:
‘Excluded’ by the Rev. Martin Luther King — a new low in campus PC

Campus PC has come to this: The Student Union Board at the University of Oregon seriously debated removing a Martin Luther King Jr. quote from the rec center because the words weren’t “inclusive” enough.

And perhaps his most famous quote: “I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.”

And that says nothing about gender issues — leading one student leader to ask: “Does the MLK quote represent us today?”

As if every inspiration in a public place has to be about “representing us today.”
They apparently need trigger warnings now before hearing quotes from Martin Luther King. So it is back to their 'safe space', where they do not have to be confronted with this sort of racist and intolerant rhetoric (according to them).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2016, 08:00 AM

25,845 posts, read 16,522,667 times
I just cannot get upset or even mildly interested by the thought process of these children.

Old 01-28-2016, 08:03 AM

17,622 posts, read 17,656,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I just cannot get upset or even mildly interested by the thought process of these children.
My problem is these ideas came from their educators.

Old 01-28-2016, 08:09 AM

21,467 posts, read 10,570,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
It is a problem. It also comes from the media and social media giving them this huge platform without too many telling them they're being stupid. When they started demanding college presidents be removed from their jobs for not doing enough about allegations that had no proof, all the professors on campus should have told them they're being like little children and need to grow up. Instead, they fed into that hysteria and validated them.

When people started demanding that statues of Thomas Jefferson be removed, they should have been told to sit down and shut up. Someone needs to tell these kids that we cannot judge people in the past by the social mores of today. Some day in the future people may judge them for something that they think is perfectly acceptable today. If college students cannot understand this, then the college professors and parents have failed them.

Old 01-28-2016, 08:09 AM

17,441 posts, read 9,265,380 times
Quote:
Exactly Correct

The Snowflakes need a very large Freezer to huddle in with their Fears of Trigger words so they don't melt.

Old 01-28-2016, 08:14 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,934,462 times
Quote:
I wonder if there is a prerequisite for teaching hate every day.

Old 01-28-2016, 08:16 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,442,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
I wonder if there is a prerequisite for teaching hate every day.
There is, become a Progressive (regressive).

Old 01-28-2016, 08:20 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,844,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
So now they are going after quotes from Martin Luther King posted around campus, because they are not inclusive enough. You really, truly cannot make this stuff up.

They apparently need trigger warnings now before hearing quotes from Martin Luther King. So it is back to their 'safe space', where they do not have to be confronted with this sort of racist and intolerant rhetoric (according to them).
I'm a huge Dr King Jr. fan, but I see nothing wrong with considering if there is a more inclusive quote that could be displayed. Its been 50 years, clearly a lot of progress has been made as proven by the nature of the questioning. I have to believe if King was alive he would approve. He might even offer a more inclusive quote.

Old 01-28-2016, 08:55 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,516,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
I'm a huge Dr King Jr. fan, but I see nothing wrong with considering if there is a more inclusive quote that could be displayed. Its been 50 years, clearly a lot of progress has been made as proven by the nature of the questioning. I have to believe if King was alive he would approve. He might even offer a more inclusive quote.
“I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.”
-Martin Luther King
What these students are mad about is that what they are advocating is directly the opposite of what MLK so brilliantly envisioned in his famous quote above. We have seen these people establish "black only" safe spaces at the University of Missouri, which is an act of racist segregationism if ever there was one. What they want is to promote and protect racial divisiveness, in no small part because of the special protections and rights they want to claim for themselves under the auspices of 'Political Correctness'.

So here we see the the PC crowd opposing some of the most racially harmonious speech ever uttered, because that would undermine their claim to special privileges based on their skin color.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:53 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,504,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
“I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.”
-Martin Luther King
What these students are mad about is that what they are advocating is directly the opposite of what MLK so brilliantly envisioned in his famous quote above. We have seen these people establish "black only" safe spaces at the University of Missouri, which is an act of racist segregationism if ever there was one. What they want is to promote and protect racial divisiveness, in no small part because of the special protections and rights they want to claim for themselves under the auspices of 'Political Correctness'.

So here we see the the PC crowd opposing some of the most racially harmonious speech ever uttered, because that would undermine their claim to special privileges based on their skin color.
Why do you think black students offered the suggestion to reconsider using the MLK quote ? More likely non-black students trained to view everything with a super-sensitive eye to diversity brought this to the student union.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies