Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 10:23 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Its in that book that was mentioned above, Freakonomics.
Perhaps you need to upgrade your reading materials PL -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 10:24 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,949,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Perhaps you need to upgrade your reading materials PL -
I haven't read it yet, my teacher commented on it in class today and told us that. I'm going to buy a copy off amazon.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:07 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,944,069 times
Another good book which I'm in the middle of is "Gang Leader for a Day" by Sudhir Venkatesh. He was the graduate student whose work was mentioned in "Freakonomics". For several years, this middle class ethnic-Indian man from Southern California hung out with gang members on the south side of Chicago, learning about their lives and the drug economy. The book goes into much more detail than was possible in the single chapter of Levitt's book. Its a fascinating read.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:28 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,949,756 times
Here's the man:

Old 02-08-2008, 04:45 AM

746 posts, read 845,414 times
Quote:
Crack dealers on the street actually make $5 an hour.

Pro, attempt to answer some of the question i've provided as opposed to how much a lower level employee in a drug distribution ring makes. I think everyone will agree, inner city drug dealers standing on a corner, are not highly paid "employees" in this sort of organization. The comparison between corporate structure was not between the administrative assistance in each corporation, it was to the respective (not that i respect gang leaders or drug king pins) CEO's and upper level management. There's a big difference.

For instance it's like saying Adminstrative Assistance make $12 an hour or guys/gals working in the copy room make $8 bucks an hour, it is not germane to the original argument. Nor, does it have anything to do with a CEO making 1.2 million a year and having large responsibilities, that directly effect the goals of the organization etc...

Old 02-08-2008, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
Another good book which I'm in the middle of is "Gang Leader for a Day" by Sudhir Venkatesh. He was the graduate student whose work was mentioned in "Freakonomics". For several years, this middle class ethnic-Indian man from Southern California hung out with gang members on the south side of Chicago, learning about their lives and the drug economy. The book goes into much more detail than was possible in the single chapter of Levitt's book. Its a fascinating read.
I agree you and Pro and bringing up good debates, but again how much lower level employees make who have no decision making abilities in this organization is pointless. I believe Sudhir compares the organizational structure of a gang to a "prymaid scheme" etc. There's very little chance a "foot solider" (the teens, that do most of the killing, and standing on corner drug dealing) will ever get to the top of the organization.

What i thought most interesting in the Freakenomics book, was the fact that the leaders in these Gangs/Drug King Pins tended to well educated kids that grew up in the same neighborhood and attended college and came back to create these crime organizations.

What's even scary in today's society is how smart Gangs are at utilizing free training services, such as, the US Army, Navy, and Marines. This makes them much more deadily and much more highly skilled in combat than localized policing units, which is just a case for disaster.

Old 02-08-2008, 04:56 AM

Quote:
I haven't read it yet, my teacher commented on it in class today and told us that. I'm going to buy a copy off amazon.

Hi Pro, having graduated college not too long ago, I can tell you the book will mean more to you as time goes on. In your young age you are not going to know as much about economics as you will in another 4-5 years. Trust me, I read the book in high school as my mom had it lying around the house and i was intrigued by the cover and then the concepts in the stories. However, i've found a greater appreciation and understanding of the book since graduating and having a more solid economics (and generally broader) education base. Keep the book handy with you the more you know the better and more valuable the book becomes. Sure, I got some of the princples early on and i could recite them, but i did not really understand the fundamentals driving those forces to happen etc. All of this stuff came with time and more knowledge.

Old 02-08-2008, 05:15 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
If the gang leader trys an "unfriendly takeover" of a he is likely to be shot. When a CEO does the same he is likely to survive. Unfortunately.

Old 02-08-2008, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW2 View Post
If the gang leader trys an "unfriendly takeover" of a he is likely to be shot. When a CEO does the same he is likely to survive. Unfortunately.
Very true, that's why i'd argue in the question are Gang Leader CEO's more accountabile to their shareholders i would say yes! Sure there is an eliminate of corruption on each end, but corruption within a gang can lead to death, whereas corruption within a legal organization leads to a pay package, penalty, and a nice retirement. The stakes to be accountable in a Gang are much higher.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:01 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,944,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthhurts View Post
Very true, that's why i'd argue in the question are Gang Leader CEO's more accountabile to their shareholders i would say yes! Sure there is an eliminate of corruption on each end, but corruption within a gang can lead to death, whereas corruption within a legal organization leads to a pay package, penalty, and a nice retirement. The stakes to be accountable in a Gang are much higher.
Who are the shareholders of a gang? I'd argue a gang is more like a privately held company than a public corporation. The leaders at the top of a gang are not responsible to anyone.

Regarding the original questions, as gangs operate outside the legal framework, I'd agree there is much more risk and "opportunity" as there is less regulation to stifle operations (asides from police), while at the same time less safety from extrajudicial retribution. Running a gang well takes much of the same skill set as running a corporation. You need good managerial skills, financial sense, and strategic vision. Many of these leaders probably could thrive in the legal economy if they so chose.

Legalization would probably be the best way to constrain the drug economy. Legalize it, regulate it, and tax it. Put all the tax revenue into drug treatment and local economic development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies