Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 01:44 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Some people consider their ethnicity only as a source of pride or humor. Others use it as a crutch. And there lies the problem in this country. We didn't used to be like this.
Nonsense.

That's ALWAYS been the case in this country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer0101 View Post
It doesn't come first for most Americans but it does come first for a large percentage of 'African Americans.'
As it should. And hopefully, as it always will until the necessity of feeling that way is rendered unnecessary. And we'll do the rendering...not non blacks.

And we're a long way from that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 01:55 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
The question I am asking is whether racial identity is the primary identity of most Americans. For example, would a racist, sexist, homophobic white man hire a straight black man or a white female lesbian? A lot of blacks and other nonwhite minorities claim that feminists and the LGBT community are incredibly racist so I can't help but wonder if racial concerns trump all other identity concerns. White members of the LGBT community and white females have advanced further in America than blacks so there seems to be some truth that racial concerns trump all other identity concerns. But in any case, what do people in this forum think?
I will be honest here.

When I see a "white" person, I'm just gonna assume this person is American. If this white person speaks English with accent, I am just gonna assume this person is an exchange student or an employee of a company, or a traveler from Europe.

When I see a "black" person, I'm also just gonna assume this person is American. If this black person speaks English with accent, I am just gonna assume this person is an exchange student or an employee of a company, or a traveler from African countries.

My mom just hired three new employees in one of her retail stores, she likes to hired veterans, race is not an issue. She thinks veterans are more disciplined or reliable. This is her stereotype. I know many retailers don't like to hire somebody from certain minority groups like to sue a lot. can you really blame them?

Old 01-29-2016, 02:11 PM

50,807 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I will be honest here.

When I see a "white" person, I'm just gonna assume this person is American. If this white person speaks English with accent, I am just gonna assume this person is an exchange student or an employee of a company, or a traveler from Europe.

When I see a "black" person, I'm also just gonna assume this person is American. If this black person speaks English with accent, I am just gonna assume this person is an exchange student or an employee of a company, or a traveler from African countries.

My mom just hired three new employees in one of her retail stores, she likes to hired veterans, race is not an issue. She thinks veterans are more disciplined or reliable. This is her stereotype. I know many retailers don't like to hire somebody from certain minority groups like to sue a lot. can you really blame them?
Never heard of American naturalized citizens?

And, yes.

Old 01-29-2016, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Never heard of American naturalized citizens?

And, yes.
I believe when I said "I will be honest here" I acknowledge the fact that I can be biased like everybody else.

I said "assume" everybody knows assumption isn't necessarily the truth.

Old 01-29-2016, 02:14 PM

Quote:

And, yes.
wait till you become a retailer. shrug

Old 01-29-2016, 02:21 PM

50,807 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
wait till you become a retailer. shrug
Which groups are you talking about that are doing all that suing?

Old 01-29-2016, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Which groups are you talking about that are doing all that suing?
I am friends with a lot of chain store managers. They have told me a lot of "stories". I don't know what they have told me is true or not, but I don't think they really have anything to gain by lying.

The point I was making is that no retailers want to be sued because this is a sue happy society. I can't blame them for staying out of trouble.

I also think you shouldn't put me on spot. I only shared something i heard, nothing more, less.

Old 01-29-2016, 03:35 PM

109 posts, read 68,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Why would white soldiers need to be getting drunk?
Who said they would be?

Old 01-29-2016, 03:41 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,528,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
N
As it should. And hopefully, as it always will until the necessity of feeling that way is rendered unnecessary. And we'll do the rendering...not non blacks.

And we're a long way from that.
I give you full marks for honesty. I think it's horrible but at least you admit it.

Old 01-29-2016, 03:48 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer0101 View Post
I give you full marks for honesty. I think it's horrible but at least you admit it.
You don't need to give me brownie points for honesty.

I have no reason or motive to do otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies